FB: Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Adam Sayer, December 24, 2006, 10:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Not to put too blunt a point on it, but I'm not sure present tense is correct there.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 11, 2017, 07:52:23 PM
Not to put too blunt a point on it, but I'm not sure present tense is correct there.

Yeah, you may be right - I hadn't realized that 2013 was the last time they won a playoff game.

TheInsideScoop

Water cooler Rumor mill gossip is Coach Huber took an extended vacation without telling anyone prior to this "resignation". Saintsfan, Coach Hilvert and his recruiting GCL, GMC pipeline are going to be all gone here soon, you sure they will be leaps and bounds higher for very much longer?  I am pretty sure when MSJ let Hilvert walk across the bridge they thought the same thing, then they lost 75-6 and that bridge bowl was buried six feet under.  The alumni that I have talked to, that know the situation in which Coach Huster put MSJ into will not allow that hire happen.  Also Mr. Sayer said the smartest thing he has ever said on this board.  Not the part where they should go buy Coach Hilvert, but the part where MSJ doesn't care to win.  That location, facilities, and education should help it become a winner.  However besides the Mens B-Bal, V-Ball,l & Golf teams, this entire athletic program has under performed for about 10 years now.  When will they make a change. SO top choices, I think everyone and their brother that played for him would want Hilvert to come back, but lets face it, BW gives him a real chance to win.  Coach Prosser will never leave OHHS, This resignation happened to late to try and get Coach Volker or Coach Minter to actually take a look..... I think it's time to go outside the MSJ circle of trust.  Your Head Coach has to actually be able to coach football however, be a coordinator, actually have your coordinators on campus, not have HS former HC still teaching as your Coordinators.  and be able to hire some solid part time guys along with interns.  If they want to win, MSJ actually has to prove they want to.

Adam Sayer

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 11, 2017, 06:03:35 PM
The money he deserves probably isn't as important as the ability to compete nationally. Baldwin Wallace is miles closer to competing nationally than MSJ is. We don't even know what competing nationally out of the HCAC looks like, really.

I agree, but Thomas More was 5-6 years removed from being nationally relevant when Coach Hilvert took over. 2-3 years later it was a different story. It's not out of the question to think he could do the same with MSJ...however, I think anyone in the know, realizes MSJ won't put things in place that he would need to reach that level of success.
I'm a man, but sometimes I want to smell like a different smelling man!

Adam Sayer

Quote from: TheInsideScoop on March 13, 2017, 10:43:31 AM
Water cooler Rumor mill gossip is Coach Huber took an extended vacation without telling anyone prior to this "resignation". Saintsfan, Coach Hilvert and his recruiting GCL, GMC pipeline are going to be all gone here soon, you sure they will be leaps and bounds higher for very much longer?  I am pretty sure when MSJ let Hilvert walk across the bridge they thought the same thing, then they lost 75-6 and that bridge bowl was buried six feet under.  The alumni that I have talked to, that know the situation in which Coach Huster put MSJ into will not allow that hire happen.  Also Mr. Sayer said the smartest thing he has ever said on this board.  Not the part where they should go buy Coach Hilvert, but the part where MSJ doesn't care to win.  That location, facilities, and education should help it become a winner.  However besides the Mens B-Bal, V-Ball,l & Golf teams, this entire athletic program has under performed for about 10 years now.  When will they make a change. SO top choices, I think everyone and their brother that played for him would want Hilvert to come back, but lets face it, BW gives him a real chance to win.  Coach Prosser will never leave OHHS, This resignation happened to late to try and get Coach Volker or Coach Minter to actually take a look..... I think it's time to go outside the MSJ circle of trust.  Your Head Coach has to actually be able to coach football however, be a coordinator, actually have your coordinators on campus, not have HS former HC still teaching as your Coordinators.  and be able to hire some solid part time guys along with interns.  If they want to win, MSJ actually has to prove they want to.

I think MSJ's approach to athletics will steer a lot of outside folks away and honestly, MSJ has never gone "outside" so there's no reason to think they will start now. The next head coach will be someone on staff and/or former coach/player. I would be shocked if it was not. I didn't think of PJ but he'd be a good choice IMO and his biggest asset may be recruiting the South where there are not many D3 schools and good players tend to fall through the cracks because they aren't quite D1. Plus being the HC at MSJ has to pay more than LB coach at Kennesaw State. I'd be surprised if Jesse would consider it. He's in the NFL now and unless he really wants to be a head coach and doesn't care where, I can't see him leaving The League to come to MSJ. I still think whether the alumni like him or not Huster is a very real option. I'm torn. I grew up with him and his family was a big help to me growing up but I certainly see and acknowledge his shortcomings as a coach and a person. The bottom line is he has the experience, has had success (won conference championships with 2 different teams in D2), he's a very good recruiter though the integrity of those players he brought in can be questioned, and MSJ's best 2 seasons since the last playoff team in 2009 were his recruits. I tend to agree about Pross. I haven't talked to him in a while but what I hear is he really enjoys it at Oak Hills.

In a perfect world Jim Hilvert would be the answer but again, we all know, barring an act of God, that's not happening.

SaintsFAN

, Coach Hilvert and his recruiting GCL, GMC pipeline are going to be all gone here soon, you sure they will be leaps and bounds higher for very much longer?

Yes.  I'm quite sure of it.  Except for a 4 year period, Thomas More has always been leaps and bounds better.  The only reason the Bridge Bowl was renewed in the early 2000s was RH saw a 3-7 year in 1998 and thought the program was on the way down.  Hilvert and Koenig etc were excellent recruiters of the Cincy area, and so was Pross and now Norwell and Trevor have picked up that torch.  As I said below, the football future of MSJ depends on them going outside the circle.  If they don't, they will not be able to compete with Thomas More, or nationally.  The difference between Thomas More and Mount St Joe is the KY school has committed to athletic excellence as a way to increase exposure and thus enrollment.  As a result, they target the best D3 players in Cincinnati and are now going to Florida, Georgia, Cleveland (Regis' connections) and Chicago (Catholic connection).  They are also going the university route just as MSJ did.  The stadium expansion is coming - I've seen the plans.  They KNOW they must get better to compete nationally, which is the plan.  The two overtime losses in successive years to the NCAC Champs stung, but they are trying to grow from that. 

As for MSJ;  They've gone in the opposite direction with the asinine thought they would water down the OOC schedule and try to get a playoff home game.  Its a totally different mission than what their KY neighbors have.  As long as that was the goal, they weren't on even footing in Cincy.  You mentioned the late "resignation"... With the timing of Huber's departure, there's probably a 75% chance they stay in house with Hopperton.  Meanwhile, there are assistants testing the waters elsewhere.  Thats just how this works.  If they are going to stay in house, they should've announced it already to keep the rest of the staff together.   They definitely should've made this change sooner.  I'm a TMC Grad and former player.  I had heard what was going on in Delhi - don't you think the kids in HS's around Cincy knew, too? 

I'm not with Adam in that I don't think Huster would be interested.  He has already survived a coaching change at Davenport.  MSJ was his only D3 experience, right?  What's his draw?  To me, he fooled RH and everyone else up there.  His defenses were awful.  Anyways, I don't feel like MSJ's Head Coach makes more than a D1 LB Coach, which would make landing him a coup.  I don't know where they go from here.  If I were an alum there, I'd be hoping they go outside and find a young upcoming guy (a Dean Paul type).  Its got to be that...or Hopperton. 

Those are my thoughts.  Happy we are talking about something. 
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

Pat Coleman

Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Adam Sayer

Quote from: SaintsFAN on March 15, 2017, 12:19:27 PM
, Coach Hilvert and his recruiting GCL, GMC pipeline are going to be all gone here soon, you sure they will be leaps and bounds higher for very much longer?

I'm not with Adam in that I don't think Huster would be interested.  He has already survived a coaching change at Davenport.  MSJ was his only D3 experience, right?  What's his draw?  To me, he fooled RH and everyone else up there.  His defenses were awful.  Anyways, I don't feel like MSJ's Head Coach makes more than a D1 LB Coach, which would make landing him a coup.  I don't know where they go from here.  If I were an alum there, I'd be hoping they go outside and find a young upcoming guy (a Dean Paul type).  Its got to be that...or Hopperton. 

Those are my thoughts.  Happy we are talking about something.

He wants to be a head coach though. That's the only reason he came to MSJ from UC. He was told that he would take over in a couple years because Hubie wasn't planning on staying long (which I believe was the same thing Pross and Vince were told). Per his dad, he left MSJ because he felt Davenport was a better option for landing a head coaching position than MSJ. As far as defenses, they weren't his. His first year Ron Coradini was DC, his second year he had the DC label, and may have made the calls, but he wasn't the one in charge of those calls. The following year he took over as Running Backs coach and Rick Thompson (former HC at Boone County) was DC.

Adam Sayer

Heard from a very reliable source at a football camp over the weekend that both PJ Volker and Jim Hilvert reached out to MSJ about the HC vacancy. Both were told by MSJ that they were not interested in hiring someone now and they were going to stick with Hopp as the interim coach for this season.

HansenRatings

Decided I'm going to spam every conference board with my preseason (non-returning-starter-adjusted) projections.

Team   Rating   Overall   Conference
Franklin   0.7976   7.1-1.9   7.0-1.0
RHIT      0.7178   8.2-1.8   6.6-1.4
MSJ      0.5217   6.3-3.7   5.4-2.6
Bluffton   0.4198   5.5-4.5   4.6-3.4
Defiance   0.3045   4.3-5.7   4.0-4.0
Hanover   0.2772   3.9-6.1   3.8-4.2
Manchester   0.2160   3.6-6.4   3.3-4.7
Anderson   0.0319   1.3-8.7   1.2-6.8
Earlham   0.0022   0.3-9.7   0.2-7.8

Hard to tell if MSJ is a real title threat this season. My gut says yes, but the model probably wouldn't have them higher than a 15-10% chance if I ran a full simulation. My gut also tells me that if RHIT gets on a roll in their non-conference games, they're probably the team to beat.
Follow me on Twitter. I post fun graphs sometimes. @LogHanRatings

Pat Coleman

FCGrizzliesGrad

Coaches poll is out

1) Franklin (7)                  88
2) Rose-Hulman (1)          80
3) Bluffton (1)                   70
4) Mount St. Joseph         62
5) Hanover                      57
6) Defiance                      42
7) Manchester                  37
8) Anderson                     31
9) Earlham                       19

Whoever did the numbers this year apparently gave every vote an extra point. Instead of going from 9 points down to 1 it's 10 down to 2. I guess you could stick Transy at the bottom with 9 points if you wanted. ::)
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

SaintsFAN

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on August 11, 2017, 06:58:46 AM
Coaches poll is out

1) Franklin (7)                  88
2) Rose-Hulman (1)          80
3) Bluffton (1)                   70
4) Mount St. Joseph         62
5) Hanover                      57
6) Defiance                      42
7) Manchester                  37
8) Anderson                     31
9) Earlham                       19

Whoever did the numbers this year apparently gave every vote an extra point. Instead of going from 9 points down to 1 it's 10 down to 2. I guess you could stick Transy at the bottom with 9 points if you wanted. ::)

There's at least one mis-ranking in there and I'll wait until the end of the year to say where it is. 
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

GrizFan

Anyone attend the DePauw - Franklin scrimmage?  If so, how did the two teams look?