WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inthepaint

Good point, but we're looking for a National Champ here.  The concept is simple - let the best of the best advance.  With each victory a team advances to take on the best from another region of the country.  Ultimately it is the best of the East taking on the best of the West for a national crown.

Taken to the extreme we could have four ASC teams playing in the tournament, one in each of the four brackets that make up the national tounament.  That scenario would leave us with the possibility of an all-ASC final four.  That, as we all know, would be ridiculous.  

No, this structure makes sense.  The "best" four teams (very much open to debate) from this region (Texas) will be playing another tournament from which the "best-of-the-best" (certainly open to debate) will play the following weekend against the best from other regions.

I expect McM to take the weekend tournament but my heart is hoping for a Cowgirl victory!

dballa

mcmfan you're exactly right....plus they always say we need to play more teams in the region that are more competitive but when you only get 1 or 2 games outside of the conference that makes it so difficult to be able to schedule games.  Either we need to be able to play more games or they need to change up this conference and split it into two.  

inthepaint

Quote from: millie on February 27, 2006, 12:16:20 PM
paint...i agree with you (can you believe that)...

Well, sure, I can believe that!  All of us in the ASC, East and West, are an "agreeable" bunch!  :D

inthepaint

Quote from: dballa on February 27, 2006, 12:18:57 PM
they need to change up this conference and split it into two.  

That is the answer from where I sit!  Dividing up the conference and allowing for more out-of-conference games is a good scenario!  That makes perfect sense to me!

millie

paint...we are such an agreeable bunch because the regular season is over...

and oh yes the NCAA committee really stuck it to the ASC and Texas...that was weak

moseshightower

I agree that more non-conference exposure would help the ASC's cause in the NCAA tourney.  You can also look to the NESCAC as an example as to how teams should perform in the regular season to avoid meeting in the NCAAs.  The NESCAC got its top 4 teams in (Bowdoin, Bates, Williams and Wesleyan) and if you look at their regular season results, in addition to winning a lot of non-conference games which I already said would help the ASC, they only lost to each other.  None of those four lost to the other six teams in the conference.  I think the top of the ASC hurts itself with bad losses within the conference.  From an outsider's perspective, as is the NCAA, it's hard to tell if every conference game is just that tough (which you can make an argument for road games) or the top team just choked.  Wasn't there talk of splitting up this conference a couple of years ago?

d3fan4life

Quote from: millie on February 27, 2006, 12:25:53 PM
paint...we are such an agreeable bunch because the regular season is over...

and oh yes the NCAA committee really stuck it to the ASC and Texas...that was weak

i guarantee hsu and hpu dont think they got it stuck to 'em.

i dont understand why everyone is questioning the ncaa, but they should both feel very lucky to get another chance to prove themselves.

millie

the reason to question the NCAA is because it is just wrong to put 3 teams from the same conference in the same bracket.  you may as well just extend the regular season.. lets just imagine for a second...MCM, HPU, and HSU are the 3 best teams in the nation...when put into the same bracket you lose 2 of those teams in the first round...there are enough teams in the tournament that there is no reason for 3 ACS teams to be playing each other

d3fan4life

Quote from: millie on February 27, 2006, 01:18:57 PM
the reason to question the NCAA is because it is just wrong to put 3 teams from the same conference in the same bracket.  you may as well just extend the regular season.. lets just imagine for a second...MCM, HPU, and HSU are the 3 best teams in the nation...when put into the same bracket you lose 2 of those teams in the first round...there are enough teams in the tournament that there is no reason for 3 ACS teams to be playing each other

if they were, hands down, the 3 best teams in the nation then i can definately see that.

what makes you say these are the 3 best teams in the nation?

beggers cant be choosers.

millie

first off i said imagine...that they were the 3 best...having played so few teams outside the conference, you really don't know where the ASC stands with other conferences...this should be a chance for MCM, HSU, and HPU to branch out into the other conferences and see what we are made of, not just play each other like you did last week...if you have won enough to get chosen...then i don't think you are a begger...that is a disservice to the girls on the teams that are going

Ralph Turner

Quote from: d3fan4life on February 27, 2006, 01:28:39 PM
Quote from: millie on February 27, 2006, 01:18:57 PM

if they were, hands down, the 3 best teams in the nation then i can definately see that.

what makes you say these are the 3 best teams in the nation?

beggers cant be choosers.

How about a little out-of-the-box thinking.

There were several teams that could have earned at-large bids.

TU and HPU were in.  HSU had had some hard times, but still had enough good criteria to be considered.  McMurry does not have criteria as good as DePauw which got the bye.  Therefore, the NCAA can keep HSU in town.

Think about it.  2200 fans in Kimbrell on Friday night and the winner will draw 2200 fans on Saturday night.

"Ka-ching!"

Sometimes we complain about geographic proximity, sometimes it may not hurt us. :)

d3fan4life

hpu - tu play @ 5:30 pm friday

hsu - mcm play @ 8:00 pm friday

both games are @ mcm

winners will play each other sat. (dont know what time)

should be an excellent tourney.

inthepaint

Will game tickets need to be secured before the game or can tickets be purchased at game time on location?

I think I know the answer already, thus I will be checking things out from home on my computer, but I would be interested in this tournament play.  Looks to be better than the ASC championship tournament!

nash

Question?  How many of the other teams in the bracket are playing their conference opponents in the first round.