Women's World Cup

Started by Mr. Ypsi, September 07, 2007, 10:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sac

Someone please explain to me how or why Megan Rapinoe does not start for this team.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: sac on July 13, 2011, 02:51:32 PM
Someone please explain to me how or why Megan Rapinoe does not start for this team.

That was an ongoing topic on the SI.com blog of the game.  While some agreed with you, the majority view seemed to be that her energy is best utilized as a 'backbreaker' when the other team is already tired (that was certainly the case today; France was dominating, she came in, suddenly the game is out-of-reach ;D).

BDB

I'm a soccer novice although I've been watching the World Cup.

So, what does CAP stand for?

Hope Solo is a stud.  8-)

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: BlueDevil Bob on July 13, 2011, 03:16:55 PM

So, what does CAP stand for?

It's basically the number of times a person has played for a given team, coutnry, etc.  Your question made me wonder the origin of the cap, and I found the following:

In Football (Soccer) a cap is an appearance for a select team, such as a school, county or international team in sports. The term dates from the practice in the United Kingdom of awarding a cap (meaning an item of headgear) to every player in an international match, however, the act of awarding a cap is now international. The practice was first approved on May 10, 1886 for Association Football, after a proposal made by N. L. Jackson, an Old Corinthian:

"That all players taking part for England in future international matches be presented with a white silk cap with red rose embroidered on the front. These to be termed International Caps."

Actual caps are not usually given anymore (caps for friendly matches still exist, and each player gets one cap per international competition), but the term "cap" for an international appearance has been retained. Thus, a cap is awarded for each game played and so a player who has played x games, for the team, is said to have been capped x times or have won x caps.
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

woacfan

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!
"We talk about it for 20 minutes and then we decide I was right" - Brian Clough

sac

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on July 13, 2011, 03:08:11 PM

That was an ongoing topic on the SI.com blog of the game.  While some agreed with you, the majority view seemed to be that her energy is best utilized as a 'backbreaker' when the other team is already tired (that was certainly the case today; France was dominating, she came in, suddenly the game is out-of-reach ;D).

She was also the primary reason a 10 man team was able to be threatening vs Brazil.

Mr. Ypsi

I'll remain agnostic on that debate (as well as whether Alex Morgan should be a starter over A-Rod).  For now, I'll trust Pia.  If they don't beat Japan (Japan?? :o), I reserve the right to reconsider! :D

Mr. Ypsi

Just looked over the roster and discovered something cool - the best female GK on planet earth (Hope Solo, of course) was born on my birthday!  Fortunately for the WNT, it was MANY years after my birth! ;D

woacfan

Here is a question---- Japan's style of play is similar to France.  They have a quick pace and solid foot skills.  Does the US make changes in this last game given the troubles they had against the French side, or do they follow the same game plan and hope for better execution?   ???

Flying Dutch Fan

I agree Rapinoe has been key for the US.  I also think (IMHO) that she is a much better player off the bench. 
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

2xfaux

Am I correct in understanding that only 3 substitutions are allowed in a match?  Are there injury exceptions?

woacfan

Quote from: 2xfaux on July 14, 2011, 05:01:30 PM
Am I correct in understanding that only 3 substitutions are allowed in a match?  Are there injury exceptions?
3 subs per game and no injury exceptions.  Because changes are so limited, coaches sometimes find themselves in trouble if they sub too much early.  Its also why soccer players are often in better shape than other athletes.  There is a great short book called "How to Score, The Science of Soccer" where author Ken Bray estimates that a center mid runs something like 8 miles during the course of a match.

woacfan

woacfan

Heartbreak!   :( 
I can see the old guard tomorrow:  Soccer is boring...women's sports are boring...blah,blah,blah.   I would take that over some fat guy scatching himself on a pitcher's mound any day!!!!

Well played!  Women's soccer came of age today!!!!! ;)

Gray Fox

Statistical Summary: USA / JPN

Shots: 27 / 14
Shots on Goal: 5 / 6
Saves: 4 / 3
Corner Kicks: 8 / 4
Fouls: 10 / 11
Offside: 3 / 2

Misconduct Summary:
JPN – Aya Miyama (caution)           97th minute
JPN - Azusa Iwashimizu (sent off)   120