Rank the Mideast Region

Started by Spence, March 17, 2013, 06:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Acula

I saw on twitter that Adrian now has two former players playing in AA.  Ryan Dorow was just promoted joining Tommy Parsons who is already in AA.   

ADL70

SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

ADL70

HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

Billy Brubaker

Happy St Patty's everyone! Long time reader, first time poster here. Excited to have D3 Baseball in Ohio  finally back! Fascinating year ahead with the NCAC & OAC being conf-only (w/ most being a 4 game series on the weekend) & the veteran rosters everybody appears to have given COVID. Any thoughts on the early favorites?

ADL70

Quote from: Billy Brubaker on March 17, 2021, 09:36:05 AM
Happy St Patty’s everyone! Long time reader, first time poster here. Excited to have D3 Baseball in Ohio  finally back! Fascinating year ahead with the NCAC & OAC being conf-only (w/ most being a 4 game series on the weekend) & the veteran rosters everybody appears to have given COVID. Any thoughts on the early favorites?

CWRU has games scheduled with Hiram, Denison, Wittenberg, Ohio Wesleyan and Wooster. So NCAC is not conf-only.

2 at Denison today and 2 with Denison tomorrow in Cleveland.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

Billy Brubaker

Good catch ADL70. Interesting that Wooster, Ohio Wesleyan and Denison have only 1 non-con opponent (Case) all year. Appears Case isn't able to play their normal UAA schedule... glad the NCAC could lend a hand so they could still have a season. Side note, these 4 game sets on the weekend will certainly be fun to follow as the season progresses.

Dr. Acula

As much as it pains me to say I think Etta has to be an early favorite.  They are 6-0 and absolutely demolishing people.  Combined to date they've won 90-8 and have yet to score less than 10 runs in a game.  The grain of salt here is 4 of those games were against Cap who is not looking good early on.  I have to admit I usually undervalue Mount because of my bias, but even I raised an eyebrow when they beat Berg yesterday 8-0 and 16-4 in Tiffin.

In the NCAC I would have said Denison before the season, but Wooster is obviously right there and Witt has come out of the gate strong too.

Dr. Acula

Wooster, Denison and Etta all found out it's really hard to sweep a solid team in a 4 game weekend.

Billy Brubaker

The last few weekends of the regular season should be electric. Marietta/Mount square off that final weekend, as will Case and Wooster. Big time conference/regional fate/positioning on the line.

Dr. Acula

Man, it's kind of feast or famine in the ME region this year.  Etta and W&J are way up there in the rankings and other than Adrian that's about it.  Mount received 1 single vote in this week's top 25 poll giving the OAC a grand total of 2 teams receiving a vote.  Meanwhile with Wooster dropping from #25 to receiving 2 votes the NCAC is nearly absent from the poll.  The story of the region has to be W&J darn near running the table to date (31-1).

Dr. Acula

Listen, I'm the last guy to champion Etta, but seeing them ranked #6 in the first regional rankings is absolutely ridiculous.  Frankly, it's embarrassing for those involved.  Mount is ranked #4.  Mount has BW and Etta left to play meaning...not only does Etta have a better record than Mount, they've also done it against a better schedule!

Pops33

Marietta's ranking probably has something to do with them having a strength of schedule of 346 out of 369 D3 teams that have played games this year.  I probably would have put them 4th, ahead of Mount (339 SOS) and Transylvania (264 SOS), as it is really hard to win 21 of 24 games against any D3 opponent.  On the other hand, Denison's SOS is currently 34, and Adrian is at 120, as of today, which is probably why they are ranked higher. 

Dr. Acula

Of course their SOS is bad.  When you only play conference games the teams with the best records are going to have the worst SOS.  That's just math.  If that's what they used to justify the vote that just feels a little lazy IMO.  But maybe without the comparison points of a bunch of OOC games for all the teams in the region it's all they have right now.  Personally, I would have slotted them:

1) Etta
2) Adrian
3) W&J
4) Denison
5) Mount

Pops33

C'mon, Doc.  Can't let math and logic get in the way of rankings!!! LOL.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: Pops33 on May 10, 2021, 09:35:20 AM
C'mon, Doc.  Can't let math and logic get in the way of rankings!!! LOL.

Haha I know, I know...

This regular season finale between Etta and Mount should give us a better idea of things.  Mount just took 3 of 4 from BW after their split in Berea today.  Etta (3.09) and Mount (3.25) have by far the best team pitching numbers in the OAC so hopefully it'll be a good series.  ONU is next with a 4.79 team ERA.