WBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saratoga

Holy cow....

Still 5 minutes left in the Scranton/E-town game but something happened to this team after their road win at Moravian.

Actually, they now look like a team that should have a record of 4-13.

Look like most have never played the game.

No changes on defense, predictable & soft.

Offense is stagnent...bounce, bounce, bounce.

Haven't seen a crisp pass in 3 weeks.

Teams are giving a certain player 15' to shoot & instead of driving in for a 10 footer, she's going for the bait...and missing.

No hustle, no sense of urgency, no press to create turnovers...playing without a passion for the game.

Sad to see...right now...they are no longer locks to win the Landmark.

augie

Coach Woodruff has lost this team.I have never seen Senior leadership like this team has just no leaders.They are so out of it.When you turn the ball over 13 times in the first half and coming from your players and nothing changes I believe the team is not responding to Coach Woodruff.Saratoga what happened since the Moravian game?Many of things happened when Mann is getting harrased and very well guarded your other guards have to step up (Not Happening)Not driving to the basket to create and help open the floor.My final thought this team is very lazy and nobody hustles for loose balls bottom line.

lefty2

I guess a 47-3 record doesn't buy as much leeway as it used to.
The person who says something can't be done shouldn't stand in the way of the one who's doing it.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: lefty2 on January 28, 2017, 08:56:52 PM
I guess a 47-3 record doesn't buy as much leeway as it used to.

Yeah really!
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

saratoga

Teams get in funks & the opposition is always looking for that chance to knock off those sitting on top.

Kind of where we are right now with the Lady Royals.

They have had their struggles at times this year but certainly have the ability, talent & coaching to turn this around...(see Duke).

A little more intensity & fight on the defensive side may make take away some of the easy baskets they're currently allowing & slow down the process of playing from behind.

Forget about this one, focus on a good Moravian team coming in & when that ones over, go get Juniata.

ronk

And some kudos on the positive side to the execution by E-town(coach and players), especially the all-around performance by Emily Martin.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Someone comes in a posts something like "lost the team" as a guest... you can pretty much chalk that up to a troll. Might as well just ignore them. Those who are smarter than that know better than those statements.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pat Coleman

Nobody posts as a guest. Board permissions don't allow for that. You have to be registered to post -- doesn't prevent someone from posting and then deciding to leave the board, but this isn't someone who registered just to make that post.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I realize something was odd when I saw augie is a title, but guest underneath... but still random.

I did get a PM regarding the poster... but still odd.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Scranton has lost three of their last four and now find themselves in third place in the conference. What is going on?

I wasn't blown away by them when I saw them at Goucher, but I tried to temper that with the fact they were playing Goucher. I wasn't blown away last year and they got all the way to the Elite Eight and gave Tufts a good game.

Size inside doesn't seem to dominate and guards seem to not have that extra step. Maybe I was misreading them against their competition. I certainly thought they were a Top 25 team - Top 15 for sure, but not #3 as when I saw them. I have seen a number of quality women's teams this year and thought they could all beat Scranton... but again, last year reminds me that I may have been seeing a bad game.

But now three of the last four being losses has me wondering if something isn't quite as good as previously thought.

Any insight? I know Catholic, Moravian, and E-town are very good teams this year, but I am surprised Scranton would take these lumps in such a tight window. Granted, the second time around in the conference can do that.

ronk

Yes, Catholic, Moravian, and E-town are good teams and have defended well enough to take away a good part of Scranton's offense or at least reduced them to secondary options. Moravian's 3 starting frosh are maturing now and playing well. Emily Martin(E-town) had an All-Regional game against them a few days ago. It is surprising that Scranton's 3 losses are all at home, but the conference is very tough at the top. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: ronk on February 01, 2017, 11:54:26 PM
Yes, Catholic, Moravian, and E-town are good teams and have defended well enough to take away a good part of Scranton's offense or at least reduced them to secondary options. Moravian's 3 starting frosh are maturing now and playing well. Emily Martin(E-town) had an All-Regional game against them a few days ago. It is surprising that Scranton's 3 losses are all at home, but the conference is very tough at the top.

Ronk - I know the conference is tough at the top... I know you have listened to Hoopsville where I have stated that quite clearly... and while I agree the freshman are starting to play well, but they are starting to play well and the team has lost three of four. That doesn't add up.

They lost at home which is surprising, but there has to be something else amiss. Is it possible whatever was found in the first loss Scranton hasn't solved? What would that be, by chance. Maybe it is what you say by taking away a good part of Scranton's offense. I am very curious when I ask, what do you think that is?

I just didn't get a real sense of who they were at Goucher, so that is why I am asking. Video streaming is pretty good, but I have been focused elsewhere each night Scranton has lost.

ronk

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 02, 2017, 01:03:52 AM
Quote from: ronk on February 01, 2017, 11:54:26 PM

Ronk - I know the conference is tough at the top... I know you have listened to Hoopsville where I have stated that quite clearly... and while I agree the freshman are starting to play well, but they are starting to play well and the team has lost three of four. That doesn't add up.

They lost at home which is surprising, but there has to be something else amiss. Is it possible whatever was found in the first loss Scranton hasn't solved? What would that be, by chance. Maybe it is what you say by taking away a good part of Scranton's offense. I am very curious when I ask, what do you think that is?

I just didn't get a real sense of who they were at Goucher, so that is why I am asking. Video streaming is pretty good, but I have been focused elsewhere each night Scranton has lost.

I was referring to Moravian's 3 frosh playing well now; they've won 4 in a row now and are a stronger team now than when defeated by Scranton 2 weeks ago - just an indication of how tough the top is. So, I say nothing is amiss; it's more the execution of the good teams and their familiarity with the Scranton offense(2nd time this year and 4th over 2 years) that has resulted in the losses.
  I'd also offer that Goucher played their best game of the year against Scranton as the reason you weren't impressed.

saratoga

A few things are unfolding with the Lady Royals this year & specifically over the past 4 games.

Catholic developed the template of how to give them a good game & teams with a certain type of makeup are following suit.

When teams have let them bring the ball up & pass around the perimeter, they can easily get in their rhythm & play inside/out.

When things are going good, they nail a few threes's, teams react & put more pressure outside and then Scranton counters with getting the ball in low to their two bigs and off they go, rout is on.

Catholic changed two dynamics on them that both Etown & Moravian have also applied.

*Put pressure on the ball & make Bridgett work so hard on that end that she doesn't have the freedom to make easy passes inside or freely float outside after she does give up the ball for relatively easy looks at the 3. Teams are putting a lot of pressure on the ball because she's not a true point & they know the Scranton offense runs through her.
This is putting more pressure on some other kids to hit some shots or to handle the ball so Bridgett can get free & it's just not getting done.

*Secondly, teams have gotten a little wiser & have stopped playing into the Lady Royals hand by trying to shoot over them.
The teams with quick guards have simply been beating the Scranton guards off the dribble & going in for layups as they move their bigs away from the lanes & then Scranton's interior defense is out of place & slow to react weak side to these drives.
It also results in teams like Catholic & again last night with Moravian in dishing to their bigs when Scranton's bigs do step in to take the lanes away and it also opens up the oppositions outside game as now the Scranton defense has been totally sucked in.
In this process, both Catholic & Moravian nailed just enough from the outside to frustrate the Lady Royals when they would finally close the runway to the basket.
These drives also created 2 quick fouls on Alexix and effectively took her out of the first half after playing only 6 minutes.

I think it also needs to be said that their freshman lock down defender has also been out the past 6 games with a foot injury but the reality is 2 weeks ago this very same team won in Bethlehem by 22.

If you look back at the season, there were signs of this issue (guards getting beat off the dribble) going back to the Neumann, Washington & Lee & first Etown game which the Lady Royals did not put away till very late.

Teams with slow or inexperienced guards will be no match for Scranton.
Teams that have not only quickness but some talent & can get their interior people involved will continue to give them fits.

It may be time to mix in a zone on this type of team to take away the driving lanes & force teams to try once again to beat them over the top or try forcing the ball in the paint.

That's the million dollar question the coaches need to soon figure out, otherwise; the Lady Royals may soon be playing themselves out of the playoff picture.

They can be taught the zone but one thing I know you can't teach & that is speed...and they just don't have much of that this year.

Clearly not time to panic, but it is time for some adjustments, otherwise Groundhog Day (the movie) has already arrived.

ronk

Quote from: saratoga on February 02, 2017, 07:49:13 AM
A few things are unfolding with the Lady Royals this year & specifically over the past 4 games.

Catholic developed the template of how to give them a good game & teams with a certain type of makeup are following suit.

When teams have let them bring the ball up & pass around the perimeter, they can easily get in their rhythm & play inside/out.

When things are going good, they nail a few threes's, teams react & put more pressure outside and then Scranton counters with getting the ball in low to their two bigs and off they go, rout is on.

Catholic changed two dynamics on them that both Etown & Moravian have also applied.

*Put pressure on the ball & make Bridgett work so hard on that end that she doesn't have the freedom to make easy passes inside or freely float outside after she does give up the ball for relatively easy looks at the 3. Teams are putting a lot of pressure on the ball because she's not a true point & they know the Scranton offense runs through her.
This is putting more pressure on some other kids to hit some shots or to handle the ball so Bridgett can get free & it's just not getting done.

*Secondly, teams have gotten a little wiser & have stopped playing into the Lady Royals hand by trying to shoot over them.
The teams with quick guards have simply been beating the Scranton guards off the dribble & going in for layups as they move their bigs away from the lanes & then Scranton's interior defense is out of place & slow to react weak side to these drives.
It also results in teams like Catholic & again last night with Moravian in dishing to their bigs when Scranton's bigs do step in to take the lanes away and it also opens up the oppositions outside game as now the Scranton defense has been totally sucked in.
In this process, both Catholic & Moravian nailed just enough from the outside to frustrate the Lady Royals when they would finally close the runway to the basket.
These drives also created 2 quick fouls on Alexix and effectively took her out of the first half after playing only 6 minutes.

I think it also needs to be said that their freshman lock down defender has also been out the past 6 games with a foot injury but the reality is 2 weeks ago this very same team won in Bethlehem by 22.

If you look back at the season, there were signs of this issue (guards getting beat off the dribble) going back to the Neumann, Washington & Lee & first Etown game which the Lady Royals did not put away till very late.

Teams with slow or inexperienced guards will be no match for Scranton.
Teams that have not only quickness but some talent & can get their interior people involved will continue to give them fits.

It may be time to mix in a zone on this type of team to take away the driving lanes & force teams to try once again to beat them over the top or try forcing the ball in the paint.

That's the million dollar question the coaches need to soon figure out, otherwise; the Lady Royals may soon be playing themselves out of the playoff picture.

They can be taught the zone but one thing I know you can't teach & that is speed...and they just don't have much of that this year.

Clearly not time to panic, but it is time for some adjustments, otherwise Groundhog Day (the movie) has already arrived.

Saratoga,
You're giving away the blueprint for the opposing coaches who couldn't figure that out on their own.  ::)