South Region playoffs

Started by Llamaguy, October 11, 2005, 02:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesleydad

Quote from: Teamski on November 06, 2012, 03:57:00 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 06, 2012, 01:24:03 AM
Quote from: thewaterboy on November 05, 2012, 07:58:56 AM
So suppose the committee wants to place UMHB and Wesley in different brackets to avoid a repeat match-up (at least until potentially later). What are the odds that Wesley gets shipped to the east with Mount Union? They had a relatively easy road to the semis last year where Linfield, Wesley, and UMHB got stuck in the cannibalistic "south" bracket.
The committee is probably very comfortable having the rematch in the third round, the round of 8.

I concur.  There is no reason why the committee would break South Region tradition.

-Ski

the only reason it would happen would be if there is an overload of top teams in the south and a void in the east.  unfortunatly the south has imploded and there is not an overload.  the east is looking rather weak after the top 3 so wesley could get sent there, but pick the poison UMHB in belton or Mount in alliance.  I like alliance because i can drive there. ;)

thewaterboy

wesleydad, I like Alliance too  ;) in my backyard almost! Which is why, of course, Im hoping they will be there at some point.

It was just something to consider since Linfield got shipped to the "South" last year. I know that the east is typically not the strongest of the brackets. But it would be interesting to see Mount paired with a perrenial power in their bracket right from the get go. But I would say Hobart would be the #2 seed there with their success.

Ralph Turner

South
Mary Hardin-Baylor   8-0 9-0   Won game #10   ASC Pool A
Wesley 5-1 8-1                      Won the last game      Pool B
Johns Hopkins 8-1 8-1            Won the last game      CC Pool A
4  Waynesburg 9-0 9-0              Lost the last game
5T Huntingdon 4-2 6-2                Lost the last game
5T Washington and Lee   7-2 7-2      Won the last game  ODAC Pool A
Louisiana College 5-2 7-2         Beat #10 HSU               Pool C
8  Muhlenberg 6-2 7-2                 Won the last game
9  Franklin and Marshall 7-2 7-2    Lost the last game
10 Hardin-Simmons 5-3 6-3         Lost to #7 LaCollege

NR  CNU 6-4  6-4                                                          USA South Pool A bid.

After the last weekend, did LaCollege move to #5?  I would have loved to have seen a #5 LaCollege at #4 Wash & Lee!

jknezek

I wouldn't have minded seeing that either Ralph. Unfortunately I think W&L ended up as a 7 seed in their current bracket. Pretty miserable. But I keep telling myself you can't complain when you have 2 losses.

Bill McCabe

So, UMHB -TLU in the first round?

jknezek

Quote from: Bill McCabe on November 03, 2013, 09:36:23 AM

That's a good guess at this point unless the NCAA is willing to spring for a few more flights. It's a shame, since I think there will be better candidates for an 8 seed than TLU, but I would be somewhat surprised NOT to see a Texas sub-bracket. On the other hand, given TLU's desire to avoid UMHB by moving from the ASC to the non-AQ SCAC, I also can't help but see a bit of poetic justice in the matchup occurring at some point. TLU plays everyone BUT UMHB from the ASC, so their intent in moving from the ASC is pretty clear.

I could see a few ways you could even out an extra flight in the first round by setting up a likely matchup between UMHB and TLU in the second. But that would require some guessing and foresight by the committee. Lot of football to be played, but I have to think that if UMHB and TLU make the playoffs, as seems likely, the intent will be to match them at some point. It makes financial sense, but I'd rather see that matchup in round 2, rather than round 1 if both go undefeated.

Toby Taff

Quote from: jknezek on November 03, 2013, 09:58:31 AM

That's a good guess at this point unless the NCAA is willing to spring for a few more flights. It's a shame, since I think there will be better candidates for an 8 seed than TLU, but I would be somewhat surprised NOT to see a Texas sub-bracket. On the other hand, given TLU's desire to avoid UMHB by moving from the ASC to the non-AQ SCAC, I also can't help but see a bit of poetic justice in the matchup occurring at some point. TLU plays everyone BUT UMHB from the ASC, so their intent in moving from the ASC is pretty clear.

I could see a few ways you could even out an extra flight in the first round by setting up a likely matchup between UMHB and TLU in the second. But that would require some guessing and foresight by the committee. Lot of football to be played, but I have to think that if UMHB and TLU make the playoffs, as seems likely, the intent will be to match them at some point. It makes financial sense, but I'd rather see that matchup in round 2, rather than round 1 if both go undefeated.
i agree that we will likely have a Texas sub-bracket again, and am glad it will be against TLU if it happens. TLUs program is tangentially related to UMHBs through coach Padron, so I get leaving the ASC from a football standpoint. He witnessed the programs rise as a parent and as a coach had a good grasp of what he was seeing. He knows the mountain TLU has to climb. I think they have a better shot at combing it from outside the ASC
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

Pat Coleman

I wouldn't have any problem with the irony matchup there. Just finishing their ASC schedule in Week 12 instead of Week 11.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

umhb2001

Quote from: Toby Taff on November 03, 2013, 11:21:19 AM

i agree that we will likely have a Texas sub-bracket again, and am glad it will be against TLU if it happens. TLUs program is tangentially related to UMHBs through coach Padron, so I get leaving the ASC from a football standpoint. He witnessed the programs rise as a parent and as a coach had a good grasp of what he was seeing. He knows the mountain TLU has to climb. I think they have a better shot at combing it from outside the ASC

I believe his son is also a coach at TLU along with at least one other former coach from UMHB. They have the pieces of the UMHB puzzle; the question is this, is Padron's glue as tacky as Fredenburg's? That is the question.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

Bill McCabe

So what happens now the TLU lost to HSU

Ron Boerger

We'll have to see how far they fall in the regional rankings this week.   My guess is that such an egregious loss combined with no Ws over RROs - unless LC sneaks back in - will put paid to their playoff hopes.

Scots13

I would hope TLU is out of the playoff picture after the showing they just had. Granted I'm not too highly qualified to speak on TLU football or the SCAC, but one would figure with a SOS of 214 out of 244 and getting an absolute shocking 73-44 beat down by a 4-5 HSU team, TLU screwed the proverbial pooch on Saturday.

I'd like to see the Texas sub-bracket that has had a lot of build up, but I don't see a late season loss like this one as being too kind for a playoff resume.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Toby Taff

Quote from: Scots13 on November 10, 2013, 12:49:33 PM
I would hope TLU is out of the playoff picture after the showing they just had. Granted I'm not too highly qualified to speak on TLU football or the SCAC, but one would figure with a SOS of 214 out of 244 and getting an absolute shocking 73-44 beat down by a 4-5 HSU team, TLU screwed the proverbial pooch on Saturday.

I'd like to see the Texas sub-bracket that has had a lot of build up, but I don't see a late season loss like this one as being too kind for a playoff resume.
that thumping was not totally unexpected. HSU has a team that can score in bunches and as I said on another board if TLU doesnt show up against HSU or HPU they could get beat. They better show up next week or HPU could bite them as well
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

Ralph Turner

Some of the regular Texas posters have called HSU Jekyll or Hyde this season.

TLU needs to beat HPU to retain credibility.

jaybird44

Even if Texas Lutheran defeats Howard Payne, it's hard to brush aside giving up 73 points to a sub-.500 team--even if that team was Hardin-Simmons with a very good SOS.  It would be one thing if TL lost 76-73 in 5 or 6 OTs.  But it is difficult to think of TL as a playoff team with a loss like that and an SOS that is near the bottom of the D-3 barrel.

If SOS has the meaning and importance that it is supposed to have, then Wash-U should move past Texas Lutheran...being only a half-game behind in the won-loss column, and a vastly superior SOS.  If Wash-U remains behind TL in this week's regional rankings, then the SOS stat should be removed from consideration by the committee...so everyone can then schedule the weakest slate of teams possible.