BB: NWC: Northwest Conference

Started by Tezbaseball, December 30, 2005, 06:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Linfield picked up a huge sweep over Whitworth (what happened to them??), while Willamette and PLU both dropped a game.

Linfield pitching has taken it to another level in conference, as their starters have the #1, 3, and 4 ERAs in the league.

The conference race will come down to the final weekend, which is always exciting.

Linfield       15-5
Willamette  15-6
PLU            17-7
Whitman    11-10
NWC Baseball

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Westside on April 10, 2017, 10:54:20 AM
Linfield picked up a huge sweep over Whitworth (what happened to them??), while Willamette and PLU both dropped a game.

Bought into their own twitter hype? 

wildcat11

Congrats to the 'Cats on winning the NWC championship.  I don't know if there were very many people after the 2nd weekend of NWC play that saw this coming but Linfield put it all together and went 16-3 down the stretch and 13-0 in NWC play since their loss at UPS on March 12th.  Masterful job by the 'Cats and the conference tourney at Linfield should be fantastic!  Go 'Cats! 

D O.C.

And all I got to see was the Chapman loss.
Congrats 'CATS!

wildcat11

Crap news for Linfield (via Linfield baseball Instagram): The Linfield Baseball Family is thinking about senior CF Scott Hilpert today, who suffered a leg fracture in last night's NWC clinching game. Scotty has been a huge part of this team's success, and he is a class act on and off the field. We love you Scotty!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BS80ZUzgC9J/

Massive loss for the 'Cats.  Feel terrible for Hilpert.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: wildcat11 on April 16, 2017, 11:28:21 AM
Crap news for Linfield (via Linfield baseball Instagram): The Linfield Baseball Family is thinking about senior CF Scott Hilpert today, who suffered a leg fracture in last night's NWC clinching game. Scotty has been a huge part of this team's success, and he is a class act on and off the field. We love you Scotty!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BS80ZUzgC9J/

Massive loss for the 'Cats.  Feel terrible for Hilpert.

Man, that really sucks for him and Linfield.  I went back and watched the play on Whitman's broadcast and you can see the reaction to Hilpert's teammates after the play.  What an absolutely crap way to end your career.

Wildcat17

We met with Scotty in the hospital and he was in very good spirits, all things considered.  They inserted a rod to secure the fracture and he'll be in a boot for about three months, plus some rehab time after that.  He's planning to be at the playoff games in McMinnville next weekend, and the team is determined to keep winning for him.  The Whitman trainers and the doctors at the local hospital were all excellent and very kind.  I know he appreciated their attention and skill.

Hopefully this will be an unfortunate start to a long playoff run.   

Bearcat Press

Well, Willamette's loss to UPS last weekend -- but more really, the earlier series loss to George Fox -- came back to cost the Bearcats the regular season title, but it was still a fun weekend of baseball in Salem, featuring two more walk-off wins and a series sweep over Lewis & Clark to cap off Willamette's best season since 2001.  What a terrific job by Coach Swick, his staff, and all the players.

The conference tournament should be a lot of fun, and these Bearcats have plenty of experience playing in McMinnville: they're 6-2 at Roy Helser Field this year.
"It's a slippery slope from the penthouse to the outhouse." - Mark Speckman

Wildcat17

Willamette may be 6-2 at Roy Helser Field, but four of those wins were against Pacific and Whitman, which may prove to be relevant.

Westside

With the regular season ending, I wanted to take a quick look at possible Player of the Year candidates.

Pitching wise, it will should come down to the trio of Linfield pitchers. They hold the top three spots in ERA, but really I think it comes down to what have you done for me lately. I think that Riley Newman wins it. He may not be the most dominant, but he has been a workhorse (and a senior).

Riley Newman: 5-1, 69 IP, 1.57 ERA, 72 K.
Cason Cunningham: 5-0, 55 IP, 1.47 ERA, 76 K.
Cal Neely: 6-0, 35.2 IP, 1.01 ERA, 25 K, 2 SV.

* - Bolded categories = conference leader.

For the offense, I think the award goes to Landon Packard from PLU. Before even mentioning his offense, I have to point out that he as a .992 fielding percentage at second base. He has made one error in 123 total chances... Turf field or not, that is impressive. On top of that he is leading the conference in RBI with 30, while hitting .388 (3rd in the conference). His nine doubles and two triples are both near the top of the conference as well, and he has two home runs.

I am guessing that Carnahan gets Coach of the Year for winning the conference and since he is retiring... like a lifetime award almost.

I can't remember if they do a Newcomer of the Year, but Whitman's Eric Ma had a great freshman season on the bump. He went 51.5 IP with a 3-1 record and a 2.98 ERA.

NWC Baseball

wildcat11

What a run by Linfield at the end of the year and in the NWC tourney. Super competitive weekend and a big tip of the cap to Whitworth, PLU, and especially Willamette on the great 2017.

Wildcat17

Landon Packard had an excellent year, and personally I was very glad to see him walk off a hard collision at home with Linfield's catcher, Jake Gellos. 

But, honestly, Scotty Hilpert had an amazing year that was cut short a very unfortunate outfield collision that resulted in a tib-fib fracture.  He is a very well deserved POY winner, as is Cason Cunningham on the pitching side of the ledger.  Hilpert's 12 home runs are still in the top three in the country even though he has missed the last week of games.

D O.C.

Got the LINFIELD - PU game on through the LINFIELD website. No sound. S'ok since I'm doing other work on the laptop and just checking in.
LINFIELD early run in top of 1st; holding up 1-0 in the 3rd.

D O.C.

Got the LINFIELD - PU game on through the LINFIELD website. No sound. S'ok since I'm doing other work on the laptop and just checking in.
LINFIELD early run in top of 1st; holding up 1-0 in the 3rd.

D O.C.

PU got into the 7th with a 1-2. LINFIELD got men on the corners with 2 outs and managed to tie.

Time out with PU warms up relief pitcher. It worked. PU goes into the bottom of the 7th

The rest will be history.
My work is done and I'm going to the gym for a stretch.