BB: NWC: Northwest Conference

Started by Tezbaseball, December 30, 2005, 06:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D O.C.

Astonishing this is the only post in 2018.  :o

Jack Parkman

Not sure how many people expected Willamette to win the NWC tourney but they just did it by beating George Fox twice today.  Short trip to the regional for them and they should be the only NWC team in the tourney.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Jack Parkman on April 22, 2018, 08:56:51 PM
Not sure how many people expected Willamette to win the NWC tourney but they just did it by beating George Fox twice today.  Short trip to the regional for them and they should be the only NWC team in the tourney.
The Dark Horse did win.  I will take tips on the Dark Horse anytime!

http://www.d3baseball.com/notables/2018/01/previews/west-preview

Bearcat Press

Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 22, 2018, 09:53:24 PM

Haven't been posting anything because I didn't want to jinx it! ;D

This team has been red hot over the last month and a half: 18-4 over their last 22 games, and 11-1 in their last 12.  Steindorf has become a legit ace: he threw a complete game on Friday to beat Linfield, then turned around and tossed six innings of one-hit ball on Sunday in the final game against Fox.

Couldn't be happier for Coach Swick and the guys on that team.  It's been a long time coming.
"It's a slippery slope from the penthouse to the outhouse." - Mark Speckman

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Bearcat Press on April 23, 2018, 11:33:36 AM

This team has been red hot over the last month and a half: 18-4 over their last 22 games, and 11-1 in their last 12.  Steindorf has become a legit ace: he threw a complete game on Friday to beat Linfield, then turned around and tossed six innings of one-hit ball on Sunday in the final game against Fox.

Couldn't be happier for Coach Swick and the guys on that team.  It's been a long time coming.
... and every Bearcat fan is wondering if they got hot too quickly.

I am reminded of the IWU championship team in 2010 that was under .500 going into the last week of the season, or the recent Trinity and CLU teams that got hot and went all of the way.

My West Region bias is that there is too much balance in the region to build a gaudy won-loss record, but we have battle-hardened teams that hit the West Region ready to play tough baseball.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 23, 2018, 11:44:56 AM
Quote from: Bearcat Press on April 23, 2018, 11:33:36 AM

... and every Bearcat fan is wondering if they got hot too quickly.

I am reminded of the IWU championship team in 2010 that was under .500 going into the last week of the season, or the recent Trinity and CLU teams that got hot and went all of the way.

My West Region bias is that there is too much balance in the region to build a gaudy won-loss record, but we have battle-hardened teams that hit the West Region ready to play tough baseball.

....and last year Roanoke came in the ODAC as a six seed (by winning tie breakers), the regional as a six seed, and lets be serious, the World Series as an eight seed.  The experience is showing in a couple wins (although a special freshman helps).

(509)Rat

Smith was drafted in the 6th round by the Tigers

Jack Parkman

Quote from: (509)Rat on June 05, 2018, 11:20:44 PM
Smith was drafted in the 6th round by the Tigers

Anyone who thought a D3 position player would go ahead of him is insane.  A 6'10" pitcher throwing mid-90's is going to go 10/10 times over a D3 kid hitting .490 against D3 pitching.  Smith has massive potential and the draft is all about projection of the player, not the current product.  Hope he does well.

(509)Rat

Whitworth gets one more player drafted, Joel Condreay was taken by the Rockies in the 31st round

I had a couple of high school classmates that played at LC State who referred to this as the "friends and family" portion of the draft. Joel will get a shot as a pitcher nonetheless. Congrats to him and Smith.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: (509)Rat on June 07, 2018, 01:10:56 PM
Whitworth gets one more player drafted, Joel Condreay was taken by the Rockies in the 31st round

I had a couple of high school classmates that played at LC State who referred to this as the "friends and family" portion of the draft. Joel will get a shot as a pitcher nonetheless. Congrats to him and Smith.
I have heard that, too.  One frequently sees players from the SCIAC drafted in these rounds.

Ralph Turner

Is the NWC down this year in the upper echelon?

The losses at Piedmont, Emory and Oglethorpe were not re-assuring.

Millsaps is not strong this year.

The Sul Ross win over George Fox was not good.

I wonder if I am not missing some parity out here.

It is the outcomes versus non-West Region teams that bother me, vis-a-vis the relative strength of the Region.

D O.C.

Thanks for the 2019 posting, Ralph.
Hopefully this board will turn Zombie.

(509)Rat

Linfield is 2-16 in conference. What happened in mcminville?