MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Buc Forever

Quote from: blackhawks4 on February 16, 2014, 05:39:52 PM

I don't know anything about Fox's coach but I did like his sideline demeanor.  I think there's a ton of potential in Newberg.  It will be interesting to see him get some of "his guys."  What I don't like: Their shot selection is as poor as it gets, which to me explains their record.  When they're hot, they can beat anybody in the conference.  When they're not--Linfield.

WW, finding ways to win games that they shouldn't.  Sign of a conference champion.

A quick glance at the playoff standings and unless I'm mistaken, everyone except Whitman controls their own fate.  Unless LC can take down WW, our little appetizer on Tuesday is more than likely just going to be for bragging rights.  Is there any way that WW-WMN doesn't come down to the last possession?

Interesting battle for the last playoff slot. If LC beats Fox I guess they are in. Fox needs to beat LC and then win the same number of games LC does in the other two games.  Here are the schedules:

LC plays Fox, WW, WM
Fox plays LC, UPS, Willamette.

I'm actually picking Fox on this one.

The Bucs have their work cut out for them.  I think it is likely they win the conference championship, but to win the tournament they will have to beat Fox or LC--whichever one it is is not a gimme.  As Blackhawk 4 astutely pointed out, Fox is hard to beat if they get hot (you can probably say the same for LC).  As for Fox's shot selection, it wasn't great but I've seen worse.  If I was going to point out a weakness in their game I'd say they don't run their sets well and they reach and grab too much on defense.  Then if WW beats Fox/LC, they'll have to beat WM. That's a tough road.  I hope they can finish the regular season without picking up another loss and then if they stumble in the league tourney they should still get a bid.  Two losses over the next couple weeks might keep them out of the tournament.

Feb 18--The Game for the Gutter--I've got Linfield--just to bring some hope and joy to Playball.

playball

Finishing up with a three game stretch that's all close to home (Forest Grove is close enough) and I think (naively) that the cats go 3-0.

Walla Walla, did you play basketball at Linfield?

Andy Jamison - Walla Walla Wildcat

No... I was a step slow and a shot short to play ball at the D3 level... I was asked if I was interested in playing basketball at Lewis and Clark by their now retired great coach after a game my senior season at Wa-Hi... I had already committed to play football at Linfield... I did play tons of basketball at Linfield and am friends with several guys who did play there.

JahEazy

How do tie breakers work?
I'm assuming if they split, they go to points?
Like is it even possible for Pacific to make the 4th spot?

This whole time I was thinking that GFU had to win out and Lewis and Clark had to lose out and then if we just win our last two games, we'd be in. But then I think we'd be tied with Puget Sound. Or what if GFU were to somehow lose to Willamette (I mean they did lose to Linfield so it could happen lol)?

That would make three times with 7 losses.

playball

Quote from: Walla Walla Wildcat on February 18, 2014, 02:28:17 PM
No... I was a step slow and a shot short to play ball at the D3 level... I was asked if I was interested in playing basketball at Lewis and Clark by their now retired great coach after a game my senior season at Wa-Hi... I had already committed to play football at Linfield... I did play tons of basketball at Linfield and am friends with several guys who did play there.

So did you end up playing football at Linfield?

blackhawks4

It was a very giving night in Spokane.  WW tried hard to give WMN the game.  WMN refused the gesture and tried harder to successfully give it back.  If the NWC performs as poorly as they did tonight, the SCIAC might take us down.

WMN: 16-28 from the FT line with 17 TO's, while getting their shot blocked about 10 times.  They gotta get more from everyone besides #2.

WW shot 6-17 from 3 despite standing out there naked all night. They also had a 5 minute stint where they turned the ball over every time.  They did do a nice job of cutting off the rim on defense though, and they almost always make the extra pass on offense. 

#3 and #20 once again torch WMN.  When's the game is on the line and #3 has the ball it scares the bejesus out of me.

Refereeing was as sloppy as the game, but didn't influence the outcome at all.  I'm all for the idea of replay, but these three seemed to use it as a crutch for indecisiveness instead of an added benefit.

I actually like Logie's presence, too--he's no pushover.  That said, how long is he going to keep that unnecessarily risky inbound play?  And I'm not a big "foul when you're up 3" guy either, but I guess that's why I'm sitting in front of my computer typing right now while he's popping the champagne again? 

Congrats to WW on a conference championship...another conference championship.  Now all you have to do to advance to the tournament is beat George Fox...again, and Whitman...for a third time this year.

(509)Rat

Quote from: blackhawks4 on February 19, 2014, 02:03:13 AMIf the NWC performs as poorly as they did tonight, the SCIAC might take us down.

This would be the year. But you have to remember, the top team in the SCIAC lost to Pacific 53-35 then beat Willamette by 2. Granted that was early in the season and they have surely gotten better. The next best team (P-P) also lost to Pacific back in Dec. 72-66. I saw Chapman play in person and I don't think the SCIAC has a team that has a shot at the NCAA tourney (CMS, P-P, Cal Lu, Chapman) who would scare you on your home court.

Quote from: blackhawks4 on February 19, 2014, 02:03:13 AMactually like Logie's presence, too--he's no pushover....And I'm not a big "foul when you're up 3" guy either, but I guess that's why I'm sitting in front of my computer typing right now while he's popping the champagne again? 

The foul when up 3 debate is interesting to me. There really isn't a right or wrong answer when you look at the 2-3 "studies" that have been done. However, I think last night, given Whitman's FT troubles fouling was absolutely the right call.

Whitworth will get GF at home to start the conference tourney. I don't see the Pios winning either game this weekend and with GF taking a game from both Whitworth and Whitman, they would hold any tiebreaker over L&C. That's a bummer because GF is shooting about 95% against the Pirates this year...well, if you don't count the last 90 seconds of their last game...

A Buc Forever

Great win for the Pirates!!!!  Two tough games ahead to win the tournament, but I would hope they get a bid even if they don't win the conference tournament.  George Fox is a scary team.  They chuck a lot of 3's but the guy with the face mask is pretty crafty with his inside game. Tough match up. 

Playball--You happy?

playball

Quote from: A Buc Forever on February 19, 2014, 02:29:35 PM
Great win for the Pirates!!!!  Two tough games ahead to win the tournament, but I would hope they get a bid even if they don't win the conference tournament.  George Fox is a scary team.  They chuck a lot of 3's but the guy with the face mask is pretty crafty with his inside game. Tough match up. 

Playball--You happy?

No, I'm never happy when Fox does well to be honest!  ;D. I hope WW wins it all and makes the rest of the league continue to trail.  The idea of trying to get to that mountain top should be every players goal and I hope this little string of conference championships gets to the Pirate's head and stumble next year.   

I ask about Walla Walla's college sports career because it's hard to take a Former Linfield football player who maybe played IMs seriously when it comes to basketball.  Two totally different atmospheres at the college between the two. 

Anyways, All Conference teams?

D O.C.

Thank-you Willamette for allowing LINFIELD to equal their wins with last season.

wildcat11

Quote from: playball on February 19, 2014, 03:32:13 PM
I ask about Walla Walla's college sports career because I was looking for a chance to degrade his opinion.*

*fixed

playball

Quote from: wildcat11 on February 19, 2014, 04:43:27 PM
Quote from: playball on February 19, 2014, 03:32:13 PM
I ask about Walla Walla's college sports career because I was looking for a chance to degrade his opinion.*

*fixed

Thanks for the fix but that wasn't quite what I was saying.  I wa trying to figure out what angle he saw things from.  A linfield hooper is very different than a footballers. 

A Buc Forever

Playball,

I was referring to Linfield's win over Willlamette. 

Don't look for WW to fall too far next year. They will miss their seniors but they have a solid core coming back. They will need to find a floor leader.  Love May be able to step up.  In the mean time it will be fun to watch the league tourney.

Andy Jamison - Walla Walla Wildcat

Thanks Wildcat11... I actually don't see a link between having an opinion on a program and actually having played for it... There are all sorts of experts out there who never played sports even at the high school level yet are respected for their opinion on their respective sport. I do officiate basketball and have gotten to the NAIA D3 JC level on the men's side so I have seen firsthand what talent it takes to win. I was a 4 year letter winner in football which not all that many guys can say.

I would agree that there has been a huge cultural difference between football and baseball versus basketball... The first two play for national titles every year.. The last for 26 years battled for a winning record... However prior to then the basketball program also was a year in year out threat to win the conference title... Hopefully the new coach can learn from the other two sports what it takes to be a successful program at Linfield...

Playball..I take it that you played at Linfield and had a successful individual career...

wildcat11

WWW,

Playball did have a standout career playing at Linfield (Wiser), is very knowledgeable of the game, and of the NWC.  However, him playing the it's hard to take this person seriously when they didn't play card is false and strikes at the core of what has made these boards so great for so long.