MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bearcat Press

Quote from: D O.C. on February 19, 2014, 04:38:47 PM
Thank-you Willamette for allowing LINFIELD to equal their wins with last season.

No problem.  We helped Caltech do that in the first game of the season, so why stop now? :(
"It's a slippery slope from the penthouse to the outhouse." - Mark Speckman

(509)Rat

First, I think we should all recognize Willamette's generosity. In this cruel and unfair world, the Bearcats are doing their part to make sure "everybody wins." Now how about you throw a football game Whitworth's way?

Also, for anybody wondering I did not have a standout basketball career. But I looked damn good in the student section wearing nothing but body paint and a smile

Keandre

Anything can happen when you lace'em up!!!

playball

Quote from: wildcat11 on February 20, 2014, 12:12:01 AM
WWW,

Playball did have a standout career playing at Linfield (Wiser), is very knowledgeable of the game, and of the NWC.  However, him playing the it's hard to take this person seriously when they didn't play card is false and strikes at the core of what has made these boards so great for so long.

I'm sorry it came off that way but I wasn't really trying to say that.  As I said in my previous post, Linfield football guys generally see basketball differently.  And to be honest I try to figure A) who someone is and their background when they are posting. B) what school they go for and C) why they seem to praise Ad when posting because not many linfield basketball guys would.

For example, I know who Buc is because he's been to a ton of games and from all the minor clues it's not hard to figure out.  I have no idea who rat is, but figured he didn't play but still gives good insight.  I know who Blackhawks is and don't enjoy what he says but he was a very good player.

playball

And yes I'm popping champagne right now celebrating that we are not the cellar dwellers this year!

wildcat11

Quote from: (509)Rat on February 20, 2014, 03:53:39 AM
wearing nothing but body paint and a smile

Yikes...glad I finished my breakfast first before reading that. 

A Buc Forever

Maybe the thought of Rat only wearing body paint and a smile is a bit too much to think about, but it's because of people like him that we can all agree upon one thing--The Whitworth Field House is the best place in the conference to watch a game. What's really cool is that the cheering, music, dancing, etc is getting even better as the years go by. The atmosphere helped me enjoy the huge comeback win Saturday as much as I enjoyed watching WW beat UPS in the league tournament championship game in 2009.  Hard to choose between celebrating a huge comeback win with your home crowd or watching the UPS crowd watch as their team can't finish off their perfect league season with a league tournament championship.  It's a toss up.   However, neither of those compare to watching your team finish a perfect season AND win the conference tournament and celebrating with the Whitworth crowd (2010).   ;D

BTW--as we are all confessing to our sporting past, I played football and basketball at WW--Neither were stand out careers.  In basketball, I probably sat more than Rat did at the games.  However, I was dressed better (if you don't mind those short shorts of the bygone era).

D O.C.

QuoteA linfield hooper is very different than a footballers. 

I understand what your perspective is but in modern history did not OJ Gulley make the switch?
In my historic view I personally know cousins that were All NWC in both sports and one was integral on the NAIA championship baseball team.

(Love to tell this story) One year Ted Wilson suspended seven players (4 starters)and filled the roster with JVs, football players and a couple intermural guys and still won the NWC.

playball

Quote from: D O.C. on February 20, 2014, 04:38:20 PM
QuoteA linfield hooper is very different than a footballers. 

I understand what your perspective is but in modern history did not OJ Gulley make the switch?

Yes he did, after the football coach recruited him away from basketball and then lied about it.  And don't get me wrong, I also played two sports at Linfield.  I could see first hand how each sport was treated differently by the administration

Keandre

Any predictions for this weekends games?

playball

Linfield rides the high their one game winning streak (hey, it's been a long season) and turns it into a three game winning streak.

Fox unfortunately wins out as well.

Lewis and Clark goes 1-1 beating Whitman and losing a close one to WW.

Ups beats pacific to end the season.

Pacific loses both to end theirs.

Willamette does their thing and loses out.

Plu goes 1-1.

Keandre

With LC going 1-1 this weekend, fox winning out and UPS beating Pacific according to my man playball, that leaves #1 WW #2 WM #3GF and #4 UPS for the playoffs.
I think UPS wins out and claims the #3 spot over GF, even though it doesn't matter as going to eastern washington has been tough on UPS. The only win out there they got in the last few years was When Shelton and Gittens roamed the floor.

A Buc Forever

I don't think the wheels have come off at Whitman and WW won't let down. LC will lose both.  I won't bet against GF after last weekend so I bet they end up with the 3rd seed. I'm hoping Linfield and Willamette finish strong and give us some hope for next year.  Looks bad when we lose--or even struggle against Cal Tech.

Playball,  I don't understand this feud between basketball and the other sports at Linfield. I did think something must be going on when Bridgeland decided to stay at Whitman. You know his #1 priority is winning and he must have thought it was easier to win at WM than Linfield after he checked it out. Hopefully this new guys can get back to competing for #2 again.

playball

Buc, I sent you a PM.

I just Batuik comes back healthy and we have a strong incoming class.  Any possibility WW forgets to pay the officials in the first playoff game and they drop one?  :D ;)

blackhawks4

I'll bet against Fox.  They've been inconsistent all year, whereas Puget has been consistent every night.  Puget has beat the teams they should and have struggled against the Whits.  LC will drop two this weekend.  Pacific and PLU are the other winners tonight.

Saturday night winners are Whitman, Puget, Fox, and PLU

Conference finishes:  #1WW, #2WMN, #3UPS, #4Fox

And WMN is just fine.  These tough games are huge learning opportunities as they get all their guys back.  They've got one more exhibition game before they have to go undefeated for the rest of the year.