D3 Women's Soccer 2018 Season

Started by PlaySimple, September 30, 2018, 10:12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlaySimple

This forum is really dead compared to the men's forum but, what the heck, I'll post this anyway.

Being in the Chicago area I've got to see some Chicagoland teams play as well as other regional teams. Yesterday I watched a good bit of the Wheaton at Illinois Wesleyan match. I had watched Wheaton beat U of Chicago game earlier in the week, 2-1, and was pretty impressed with both sides. UC played more possession and went through the midfield while Wheaton was much more direct in their style and tried to link up with their strong forwards. My impression is that if a team can play possession even better than what UC did that they will beat Wheaton. Unfortunately, Wheaton seems to make teams play to their style. That was my impression of them in past years and it still is. They also put up a lot of shots though many of them are of low quality.

In the Wheaton @ IWU game, there was more of the direct style that Wheaton plays. When I had seen IWU play earlier in the year I noticed that they seemed to play more of a possession game than what they played under Dave Barrett (now at Fairfield U in CT). Barrett seemed to really like the direct style that I equate to "bootball." What isn't a possession style is that IWU's keeper will still boot the ball into the midfield into a 50/50 that IWU usually loses. Far too many teams do this instead of playing the ball out of the back. IWU will also do that on kickoffs. Wheaton also plays a lot of bootball and that is their weakness. Against Wheaton, IWU seemed to revert back to their old style. IWU's midfield gave up the ball far too often and IWU's chances were not finished. The defense was under far too much pressure. The final score ended up being 1-0, Wheaton, and Wheaton outshot IWU 15 (5 SOG) to 4 (2 SOG).

Both of these sides can be good and have the potential to make deep runs in the tournament. Both teams are also very young so the future looks good for them. As I mentioned earlier, IWU seems to play more possession than what I have seen them play in prior years but that was not evident yesterday. It starts with IWU's kickoffs. They will, as most teams do, play it back at the start. And then, instead of passing it around and trying to get an attack going and looking for high quality possession and passes, they will boot the ball up to their attacking 1/3 before an IWU player is there. The result is that they give up possession immediately. Wheaton is guilty of the same thing. It's bad soccer and I hate watching any team do it. I can't understand it. It would be the same as a basketball player passing it from his team's backcourt to his team's frontcourt & to the other team. What basketball team does that? Not a single one so why does it happen in soccer? IWU's keeper, as I mentioned before and what I've seen in the past, never plays goal kicks out of the back. They're randomly kicked down the field into a 50/50 that the team doesn't fight hard enough to win and doesn't make a lot of effort to win back. Those two things are two of my biggest peeves when watching soccer and IWU is guilty of both of them. But to be fair, a lot of teams are guilty of it.

Wheaton also continues to put up a lot of random shots and doesn't utilize the midfield enough. When I had seen them play Chicago the forwards seemed to be working for high quality shots but that was not evident vs IWU. There was just a lot of kickball and chaos. The game was very unsettling to watch due to neither team keeping the ball on the ground and stringing passes together. IWU would have had a much better chance to win if they had played possession and kept Wheaton from their direct style. As I said, both teams have the potential to make deep runs but both must also play much better than they did yesterday. I would have also liked to have seen both sides get the outside backs involved in the attack but that didn't happen. IWU couldn't do it because the midfield and forwards couldn't hold possession and getting up the field nearly impossible. Wheaton didn't do it because it seems that the backs of Wheaton are primarily utilized to boot the ball in the attacking 1/3. It really would be frustrating to be a midfielder in that system. Anyway, good luck to both teams moving forward.

I would like to see this forum become a little more active and hear of what is going on with other teams. Bigsoccer has a D3 thread but there isn't a lot of contribution there either.

PlaySimple

The editing software of this forum SUCKS. I posted this thread with the wrong title and couldn't edit the title or delete the tread. Moderator, if you read this please delete the thread that I locked. Thank you. If anyone knows how to edit posts in this forum, let me know.

This forum is really dead compared to the men's forum but, what the heck, I'll post this anyway.

Being in the Chicago area I've got to see some Chicagoland teams play as well as other regional teams. Yesterday I watched a good bit of the Wheaton at Illinois Wesleyan match. I had watched Wheaton beat U of Chicago game earlier in the week, 2-1, and was pretty impressed with both sides. UC played more possession and went through the midfield while Wheaton was much more direct in their style and tried to link up with their strong forwards. My impression is that if a team can play possession even better than what UC did that they will beat Wheaton. Unfortunately, Wheaton seems to make teams play to their style. That was my impression of them in past years and it still is. They also put up a lot of shots though many of them are of low quality.

In the Wheaton @ IWU game, there was more of the direct style that Wheaton plays. When I had seen IWU play earlier in the year I noticed that they seemed to play more of a possession game than what they played under Dave Barrett (now at Fairfield U in CT). Barrett seemed to really like the direct style that I equate to "bootball." What isn't a possession style is that IWU's keeper will still boot the ball into the midfield into a 50/50 that IWU usually loses. Far too many teams do this instead of playing the ball out of the back. IWU will also do that on kickoffs. Wheaton also plays a lot of bootball and that is their weakness. Against Wheaton, IWU seemed to revert back to their old style. IWU's midfield gave up the ball far too often and IWU's chances were not finished. The defense was under far too much pressure. The final score ended up being 1-0, Wheaton, and Wheaton outshot IWU 15 (5 SOG) to 4 (2 SOG).

Both of these sides can be good and have the potential to make deep runs in the tournament. Both teams are also very young so the future looks good for them. As I mentioned earlier, IWU seems to play more possession than what I have seen them play in prior years but that was not evident yesterday. It starts with IWU's kickoffs. They will, as most teams do, play it back at the start. And then, instead of passing it around and trying to get an attack going and looking for high quality possession and passes, they will boot the ball up to their attacking 1/3 before an IWU player is there. The result is that they give up possession immediately. Wheaton is guilty of the same thing. It's bad soccer and I hate watching any team do it. I can't understand it. It would be the same as a basketball player passing it from his team's backcourt to his team's frontcourt & to the other team. What basketball team does that? Not a single one so why does it happen in soccer? IWU's keeper, as I mentioned before and what I've seen in the past, never plays goal kicks out of the back. They're randomly kicked down the field into a 50/50 that the team doesn't fight hard enough to win and doesn't make a lot of effort to win back. Those two things are two of my biggest peeves when watching soccer and IWU is guilty of both of them. But to be fair, a lot of teams are guilty of it.

Wheaton also continues to put up a lot of random shots and doesn't utilize the midfield enough. When I had seen them play Chicago the forwards seemed to be working for high quality shots but that was not evident vs IWU. There was just a lot of kickball and chaos. The game was very unsettling to watch due to neither team keeping the ball on the ground and stringing passes together. IWU would have had a much better chance to win if they had played possession and kept Wheaton from their direct style. As I said, both teams have the potential to make deep runs but both must also play much better than they did yesterday. I would have also liked to have seen both sides get the outside backs involved in the attack but that didn't happen. IWU couldn't do it because the midfield and forwards couldn't hold possession and getting up the field nearly impossible. Wheaton didn't do it because it seems that the backs of Wheaton are primarily utilized to boot the ball in the attacking 1/3. It really would be frustrating to be a midfielder in that system. Anyway, good luck to both teams moving forward.

I would like to see this forum become a little more active and hear of what is going on with other teams. Bigsoccer has a D3 thread but there isn't a lot of contribution there either.

2xfaux

Well, here we are a week and a half into October and it is just crickets.

I have managed to see 6 of the most recent Top 25 in person and I think a total of 14 on video.  I had hoped to finally see Wash U. play this past weekend but Rochester wanted $10.95 to watch the video and I am fairly certain my wife of almost 50 years would have taken the credit card bill to her attorney and I would be living in my truck soon so I declined.

I have seen some really great play by many of these teams but have yet to see someone put together 90 minutes of domination or even consistency .  I understand that there are ebbs and flows in a soccer game but at some point you need to bear down and end it.

Case in point.. this weekend's game Williams v MIT.  Two very good teams, but had Williams come into the second half with a match for MIT's energy they might have come away with a win instead of the draw.  Yea, yea easy for an old man to say, it's hard work I know that.

I saw CNU play VWU last night and they look real.

Wash U. please tell me how to see the Bears without risking divorce!! 

WUPHF

Quote from: 2xfaux on October 09, 2018, 03:14:00 PM
Wash U. please tell me how to see the Bears without risking divorce!! 

The next 6 games are all free live streams including 4 games against ranked teams. #LetsGoWashU

2xfaux

Thanks.  Some toasted ravioli and a Wash U. game will make me happy.

2xfaux

I managed to see the Wash U. v CMU game.  The first half (much like my attempt at toasted ravioli) was not very good but the second half effort made Wash U. look like a deserving #1.  I am looking forward to the Wheaton game this weekend.  It should be a good one.  I have decided to leave the deep fat frying of pasta to the pros.   

cciw83

Have not got to see as many games this year in person or in video. All of the usual suspects are in the top 10. I saw UT-Dallas tied Hardin-Simmons and stayed undefeated. I know they recruit the Chicago area and would be interested on hearing anything on them.

I am going to pick my sleeper for the tournament in CNU, if you can call a team ranked in the top 20 a sleeper. Their season was tore up by weather conditions and I don't have an accurate read on their season, but in limited watching they looked a constant threat on offense. 

I can't figure out the CCIW, Wheaton keeps winning, but seems to have trouble finishing. IWU is solid, but teams like North Central keep disappointing as they are in the heart of prime soccer area in the western suburbs of Chicago and still are not making a breakthrough in to being a contender. 

UAA is always brutal, I need to watch a Wash U. game, as it sounds like they have been the most consistent top 10 team all season.  I  watched video of Emory and they just look like they get sloppy at times with passing and concentration. I have not seen enough, but U. of Chicago does not seem yet to have matched the quality of last year's team.

Ron Boerger

Trinity (TX)'s Chelsea Cole just put together a hat trick 12:09 into this afternoon's match with Schreiner ... taking all of 91 seconds between the first and third goals. 

Edit:  Not to be outdone, Halleanne Dure added four goals (three off assists from Cole).   

Caz Bombers

Vassar beat #7 William Smith 1-0 on the road today, handing the Herons their first Liberty League loss in six seasons. WS had won 54 consecutive conference matches and was 65-0-1 against LL opponents (66 if you count an NCAA win over Ithaca when IC was in the E8) since 9/28/12. It's also the first conference L for the Herons at home in 15 years (10/24/03 to Union).

Congrats to the Brewers.

WUPHF

This is a HUGELY, MASSIVELY HUGE weekend for the UAA women. 4-0-0 Washington University hosts 3-1-0 Brandeis on Friday while 4-0-0 Chicago hosts 3-0-1 NYU.  Both of those games are at 3:00 pm.  Then, Brandeis heads to St. Louis and NYU heads to Chicago for Sunday games at 1:30 pm.

2xfaux

Amazing weekend for the UAA and then Wash U plays Chicago next weekend.  It is hard to imagine that there won't be at least two UAA teams in Greensboro.

Gray Fox

Fierce When Roused

jaybird44

Congratulations to the WashU Bears for ending the regular season with a 17-0 record!  They dealt with injuries over the past two weekends and rose to the occasion to win the UAA championship a game early and to defeat Chicago 2-0 yesterday.  All the best to the Bears as they enter the NCAA Tournament!

2xfaux

Did Hopkins really lose 5-1 to Swat?

Knowenough2bdangerous

Why did MSOE have to forfeit?

NACC Women
► Tournament awards automatic berth (AQ) only; 2018 conference champion based on regular season.
► Teams will be re-bracketed after first round games so that lowest remaining seed will face the #1 seed.
First Round - Sat., Oct. 27 (at higher seeds)
#3 MSOE 2, #6 Marian 1 Marian wins by forfeit
#4 Concordia (Wis.) 1, #5 Concordia-Chicago 0
Semifinals - Tue., Oct. 30 (at higher seeds)
#1 Dominican 4, #4 Concordia (Wis.) 1
#3 MSOE 2, #2 Illinois Tech 1 Illinois Tech wins by forfeit
#2 Illinois Tech 4, #6 Marian 3
Final - Sat., Nov. 3 (at higher seed)
#1 Dominican 1, #2 Illinois Tech 0 (OT)
AQ: Dominican