BB: AEC: Atlantic East Conference

Started by mailsy, March 20, 2019, 01:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mailsy

Looking for some thoughts by others regarding my Cavaliers baseball team. I've been more of a follower of basketball over the years and have a better understanding of that than D3 baseball since Cabrini is only in its 3rd year. I am under no delusions of the "greatness" (or the lack there of) of the newly formed AEC. Currently it's been a long time since any of these teams have won a Conference championship (2008 prior to Keystone joining the CSAC). So I don't know how good the Cavaliers are this year or going to be as the season progresses. They are 11-4. I think they did well in Florida. Going 5-3(1-1 against Augustana) and they swept Gwynedd Mercy over the weekend(the preseason #1). I know they would still need to prove it really in NCAA's. But just wanted to hear some thoughts from regular followers of D3 baseball. Thanks.
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

Ralph Turner

Thanks for starting the new board for the Atlantic East Conference.

I will ask Pat Coleman to edit the topic "title" to

BB: AEC: Atlantic East Conference

so the format is consistent and one can tell it is a baseball message board.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: mailsy on March 20, 2019, 01:14:13 PM
Looking for some thoughts by others regarding my Cavaliers baseball team. I've been more of a follower of basketball over the years and have a better understanding of that than D3 baseball since Cabrini is only in its 3rd year. I am under no delusions of the "greatness" (or the lack there of) of the newly formed AEC. Currently it's been a long time since any of these teams have won a Conference championship (2008 prior to Keystone joining the CSAC). So I don't know how good the Cavaliers are this year or going to be as the season progresses. They are 11-4. I think they did well in Florida. Going 5-3(1-1 against Augustana) and they swept Gwynedd Mercy over the weekend(the preseason #1). I know they would still need to prove it really in NCAA's. But just wanted to hear some thoughts from regular followers of D3 baseball. Thanks.

Here is a place to start.

https://www.d3baseball.com/notables/2019/01/previews/midatlantic-preview

mailsy

Wow! Cabrini, using 2 pitchers, has the programs first no-hitter. 5-0 over Dickinson. Great job Cavs!

mailsy

I saw that the NCAA Regional Rankings came out today. Surprised that the Cavs were not ranked. Two of the teams in the Regional Rankings, Ramapo and Dickinson were beaten by Cabrini the later was no hit. Not sure what tbe thinking was. Being a team in a conference wth no AQ hurts when you're not even in the RRs.
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d3/regional-rankings

Jack Parkman

Quote from: mailsy on April 24, 2019, 09:47:39 PM
I saw that the NCAA Regional Rankings came out today. Surprised that the Cavs were not ranked. Two of the teams in the Regional Rankings, Ramapo and Dickinson were beaten by Cabrini the later was no hit. Not sure what tbe thinking was. Being a team in a conference wth no AQ hurts when you're not even in the RRs.

Having the 294th ranked SOS is the reason. Does not matter if you go 37-3, having that bad of SOS will keep you out of the rankings.

mailsy

Quote from: Jack Parkman on April 25, 2019, 03:37:43 PM
Quote from: mailsy on April 24, 2019, 09:47:39 PM

Having the 294th ranked SOS is the reason. Does not matter if you go 37-3, having that bad of SOS will keep you out of the rankings.

Thanks for the info. As I said before not a lot of knowledge when it comes to D3 baseball. It makes sense though with SOS being...not so strong.

mailsy

Looked into this a little bit more. Fair point that Cabrini is 270 SOS on Massey. They're 61 ranked. I won't argue Ramapo (127 SOS, 65 rank) But...if we're going by Massey. Dickinson has a 261 SOS, is ranked 138 and a record 22-11. So losing to Cabrini (28-7) with a SOS 9 spots better puts Dickinson 12th in RR and Cabrini not in it. Oh it now makes complete sense. They're only going by SOS  ???

Ralph Turner

Quote from: mailsy on April 25, 2019, 08:52:11 PM
Looked into this a little bit more. Fair point that Cabrini is 270 SOS on Massey. They're 61 ranked. I won't argue Ramapo (127 SOS, 65 rank) But...if we're going by Massey. Dickinson has a 261 SOS, is ranked 138 and a record 22-11. So losing to Cabrini (28-7) with a SOS 9 spots better puts Dickinson 12th in RR and Cabrini not in it. Oh it now makes complete sense. They're only going by SOS  ???
Massey includes games against non-d3 opponents.