2013 CoSIDA "Jack Wade Award" goes to Pat Coleman

Started by Ron Boerger, February 26, 2013, 11:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

http://www.cosida.com/news.aspx?id=3977

Jake Wade Award

The Jake Wade Award winner is Pat Coleman with D3sports.com. Coleman has provided statistical and rankings services for the division III institutions for over 30 years. The award he is receiving is named for the acclaimed North Carolina sports journalist and former UNC SID Ward. This award is presented annually to an individual who has made an outstanding contribution in the media to the field of intercollegiate athletics.

CoSIDA (College Sports Information Directors of America) was founded in 1957 and is a 2,800 member national organization comprised of the sports public relations, media relations and communications/information professionals throughout all levels of collegiate athletics in the United States and Canada. The 2012-13 academic year is the 56th year of the organization, making it the second oldest management association in all of intercollegiate athletics. CoSIDA became an affiliated partner with NACDA (National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics in December of 2008.

Congratulations, Pat!

FCGrizzliesGrad

Congrats to Pat and to all the other winners from the D3 ranks :)

2013 CoSIDA Hall of Fame Class
Six current and former sports communications professionals will be inducted into the CoSIDA Hall of Fame at a luncheon and ceremony on Thursday, June 13. This CoSIDA Hall of Fame honor is presented to members of CoSIDA who have made outstanding contributions to the field of college athletic communications.
Wally Johnson, Director of Sports Information at St. Lawrence University
Jim Seavey, Director of Sports Information and Compliance at the Massachusetts Maritime Academy

Lifetime Achievement Awards
At that same luncheon on June 13, CoSIDA will recognize five professionals with its Lifetime Achievement Award. This award is presented to CoSIDA members who have served at least 25 years in the profession (as of June 2013) who are retiring or leaving the profession. Those members include Ken Cerino at Western New England University; Carole Grills from Smith College;

Warren Berg Award (College division award)
Several other awards will be given at that same June 14th luncheon, including recognition of Sheila Stevenson of Rowan University as the Warren Berg Award winner. The award recognizes Stevenson as the top professional in the college division. The award is presented annually to a college-division member who has made outstanding contributions to the field of college sports information and who, by his or her activities, has brought dignity and prestige to the profession.

CoSIDA also recognizes its youthful talent with the Rising Star Awards. This award is presented to both a University Division and a College Division member with 10 years of service or less whose work at their institution and service, dedication, energy and enthusiasm to the profession make that individual a "rising star" in sports information. KatieJo Kuhens, sports information director at Wartburg College, was the college division choice

Mark Fleming of Moravian College will be recognized with the Lester Jordan Award at the Capital One Hall of Fame event June 12 where the Academic All-America Hall of Fame® class will be honored. The Lester Jordan Award is presented to an individual for exemplary service to the Academic All-America Award program and for promotion of the ideals of being a student-athlete.

In addition to the special award winners and Hall of Fame induction, the organization also recognizes those who have completed 25 years in the profession. The following individuals will receive a 25-Year Award plaque at the convention: George Cuttitia of Union College; Jim Seavey from the Massachusetts Maritime Academy
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

mattvsmith

For over 30 years? Pat, I thought you were about 40 years old.

NCF

Quote from: Rt Rev J.H. Hobart on February 27, 2013, 07:10:13 AM
For over 30 years? Pat, I thought you were about 40 years old.
That's what I thought when I first read the article!. He must have been a  boy genius!:):)
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

Bishopleftiesdad

Good Job, Pat, glad to see you recognized for you hard work.

Pat Coleman

Thanks -- indeed, it has not been 30 years. It's been 15 -- Rev is right. I just turned 40. :)

This is a huge honor. I'm awestruck when I read the names of the other people who have received this award. It's great that CoSIDA has recognized someone who covers college sports outside of Division I and I really owe this recognition to the Division III SIDs who have been pushing for this.

Kind of surreal. At least I have a few months to work on a speech.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

smedindy

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 27, 2013, 11:16:33 AM
Thanks -- indeed, it has not been 30 years. It's been 15 -- Rev is right. I just turned 40. :)

This is a huge honor. I'm awestruck when I read the names of the other people who have received this award. It's great that CoSIDA has recognized someone who covers college sports outside of Division I and I really owe this recognition to the Division III SIDs who have been pushing for this.

Kind of surreal. At least I have a few months to work on a speech.
We understand how you are "awestruck" and  how "surreal" that it seems to you, but you have 13,000+ posters, a million posts on the message boards and who knows how many hits on the home page (now the "famous hit counter" is no longer there.   ;)  )

The simple truth is that "D3sports.com" is the "glue" that holds D3 together.  Your love, your dedication and your passion for D3 is greatly appreciated by us and is a burr in the saddle of the NCAA.

What you have accomplished as an avocation on a shoe string budget and what the NCAA does with its millions of dollars to spend on a web presence is a testimony to your vision and genius!

For my 13,000+ fellow posters who have not posted yet, a simple "thank you".    :)

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

roocru

The usual +K is definitely not enough but I do it anyway in your honor!  Congrats, Pat!!
Anything that you ardently desire, vividly imagine, totally believe and enthusiastically pursue will inevitably come to pass !!!

mattvsmith

Ralph pretty well nails it. Your website has also made it possible for us to reconnect with old college friends and to make new friends. I joined in 2005 and it's been great.

Knightstalker

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

magicman

Great to see you were honored with this award, Pat. You qualified for it 14 years ago. ;) Where would we be without the D3Sports.com Network? 

kate