NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nescac1

Christan Shirk

Very cool that they did an article like that.  Too bad the author completely overlooked Lance Key, a 3-time All-American at Trinity (Tx.), who started 34 games for the Colorado Rapids in 2000 and 2001 as a defender.  Key should have been at No. 3 or 4 on the list, and then the author wouldn't have needed to reach so much to fill out the list with Blake and Schunk at No. 5 (no offense to either of those players).  Key was a 4th Round pick in the 2000 SuperDraft (43rd overall).
Christan Shirk
Special Consultant and Advisor
D3soccer.com

frank uible

The general public loves ranked lists; the truly sophisticated believe that they are folly.

nescac1

Great ESPN feature on former Eph Nick Pugliese:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10424324

casualfan

I found the video of Pugliese to be very inspiring. It's encouraging to see that the local Afghan people were easily willing to set aside any differences for the betterment of the team and sport. Gotta love that he happens to be a former Division III athlete as well!

maineman

Seabrook named head Colby men's soccer coach

WATERVILLE, Maine --- After 10 years as an assistant coach at the NCAA Division I level, Ewan Seabrook was named the new head coach of the Colby College men's soccer program Wednesday.

Seabrook, a native of Lewes, England, will be Colby's first new men's soccer coach in nearly 40 years. He spent six seasons at the University of New Hampshire as associate head coach and four years as assistant coach at Hartwick College.

"Ewan distinguished himself from an extremely strong group of applicants as the right person to lead our program," said Marcella Zalot, Colby's Harold Alfond Director of Athletics. "I am confident that he will build and grow our men's soccer program on multiple levels and I know the young men in our program will thrive under his guidance. I am excited about this new chapter in the long and proud history of Colby men's soccer."

Before his coaching career, Seabrook played Division I soccer at Iona College and Oneonta State. He was selected to the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference All-Rookie Team while playing with Iona. Seabrook graduated with honors from Oneonta State in 2002 and earned academic all-conference team honors. Seabrook earned his master's degree from University of New Hampshire in 2011.

Seabrook now starts his first job as a head coach. He is only the seventh head men's soccer coach since the program was started in 1959.

"This really is a dream come true for me," Seabrook said. "I'm really grateful to Marcella and the search committee for this opportunity. I'm excited to join such an outstanding department and I want to bring a culture of success to every aspect of the soccer program."

Seabrook takes over the program from Mark Serdjenian, a 1973 Colby graduate who led the Mules to a 261-230-46 record over the last 38 years. Serdjenian is still with Colby, working as an assistant with women's soccer, women's lacrosse, and doing administrative work.

"It's an absolute honor to succeed Mark. He is Colby soccer," Seabook said. "I've heard so many great things about him from the search committee and other coaches. He has a wealth of knowledge and will be invaluable to me as I learn more about the team and the campus."

Seabrook comes to Colby after working with two good head coaches. Rob Thompson is in his 18th year at New Hampshire, while Ian McIntyre is now the head coach at Syracuse University after a successful stint at Hartwick. Seabrook also worked with Thompson on the Seacoast United Under-18 Soccer Club.

"I've been very lucky to have had two head coaches in Rob and Ian that have given me real latitude in being part of all aspects of running a college soccer program," Seabrook said. "I know that doesn't exist everywhere."

Seabrook helped Hartwick win the Atlantic Soccer Conference in 2005 and earn the program's first NCAA bid since 1995. During his tenure at UNH, the Wildcats were the 2009 America East regular season champions and made the America East title game in 2010 and 2012. A defender in college, Seabrook has worked with the defense, forwards, and goalies during his time as an assistant.

Off the field, Seabrook was involved on the UNH campus. He acted as an ambassador for the UNH White Ribbon Campaign to end violence against women, coordinated student-athletes to appear in an anti-homophobia video for the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs, and co-created and delivered a Bystander Education curriculum to UNH's athletic teams.

"It's terrific that part of the fabric of being at Colby and part of the culture is to collaborate across campus," Seabrook said. "It's a strong part of my coaching conviction that we are privileged in athletics and we need to use that privilege to benefit the campus in ways we can."

nescac1

Someone posted on another board that Amherst has a D1 transfer coming in, plus Heo returning for his senior year.  They should be loaded yet again.

LaPaz

No way Heo is playing next year. His frosh year was 2008..its 2014 and I believe there is a NCAA rule you have to play 4 in six years or something like that. I have not heard who the transfer is but most D1 transfers can be tricky. Midd's transfer from Seton Hall the past few years was a solid wingback but nothing special, certainly not able to change a game. Most transfers are transferring for a reason, usually not a positive one. As far as Williams goes you are right they GK situation is not a good one. Bravo is no starter and the other 2 have no experience. Madding a great player but after 3 ACL's you cannot count on him yet. The only real loss is Morrell and after the semi-final in San Antonio I am not so sure he is not replacable. User faded his last two years and Kastner suprised with 5 goals and his tenacious ball hunting they both can be replaced.

Christan Shirk

This site http://www.studentsports.com/soccer/2013/09/25/class-2014-ncaa-division-iii-commitments/ lists midfielder Bryce Ciambella as transferring to Amherst from Division I Creighton.  From the Creighton men's soccer pages, he was a red-shirted as a freshman in 2012 and then did not appear in any games in 2013. 
Christan Shirk
Special Consultant and Advisor
D3soccer.com

LaPaz

Thank you..good site

Becks

Do many/all NESCAC schools have JV/reserve men's soccer teams? On the girls side, Middlebury is the only NESCAC that I am aware of that has a JV team.

PaulNewman

LaPaz

Williams, Midd and Bates have JV teams for men

Becks

I posted the following in the NESCAC women's soccer forum, but thought that followers of NESCAC men's soccer might also be interested:

I took a look at NESCAC men's and women's soccer stats to see what the similarities and differences were.

Many of the key stats are surprisingly similar.

Median team goals per game average (conf games only) - 2013, 2012, 2011
M - 1.1, 1.2, 0.9
W - 1.3, 1.2, 1.3
The women actually scored slightly more per game, but, given the small sample size, the difference may not be significant.

Median team shots per game average (conf games only) - 2013, 2012, 2011
M - 12.6, 12.3, 11.8
W - 12.4, 11.4, 13.5
Very similar for men and women's teams.

Saves percentage of #6 (approx median) ranked keeper (conf games only) - 2013, 2012, 2011
M - 0.800, 0.814, 0.791
W - 0.802, 0.821, 0.836
Fairly similar, but surprisingly (to me) the median women's keeper had a slightly higher saves percentage.

Some stats, however, do show differences.

Median corner kicks per game (conf only) - 2013, 2012, 2011
M - 4.4, 5.0, 4.4
W - 3.8, 3.9, 3.7
I think this difference is real. One possible theory is that women are not coached to seek corner kicks as much because women are generally weaker headers of the ball, so corner kicks are less valuable in the women's game than the men's game.

The biggest statistical difference that I found, however, was in fouls.

Median team fouls per game (conf only) - 2012, 2011, 2010 (I included 2010 because I could not find 2013 stats)
M - 12.2, 12.2, 10.5
W - 7.9, 8.5, 8.6
So a typical NESCAC women's game has only about 2/3 the number of fouls called as a typical NESCAC men's game, which, subjectively, seems about right to me.

Median team yellow cards per season (conf only) - 2013, 2012, 2011
M - 13, 8, 9
W - 0, 1, 2
This is a huge difference. There were an average of about 2 yellow cards handed out  in each men's game, while a women's team might see 2 all year.  Under FIFA rules, this would mean that NESCAC men commit about 10x as many "reckless", "unsporting" or "deliberate" fouls as NESCAC women.  I suspect men do commit more of these fouls, but I think part of it is also a general reluctance on the part of refs to hand out cards in women's games even when the conduct deserves it.

amh63

Was surprised to see on the Amherst website....on the Alumni section...the announcement of a reception and game on the 20 and 21 respectively for the men's soccer team in Paris!
No mention of it anywhere else.
Amherst does have an influential soccer alum in the region...Prince Albert of Monaco....who played for Amherst and has sponsored interns, etc. Related to soccer.   Interesting.