Previous topic - Next topic

NCF

Quote from: gohope on March 13, 2012, 10:20:09 AM
Quote from: newcardfan on March 12, 2012, 10:50:32 PM
Quote from: sac on March 12, 2012, 07:19:55 PM
Quote from: newcardfan on March 12, 2012, 06:11:11 PM
Quote from: HopeConvert on March 12, 2012, 06:03:43 PM
Quote from: realist on March 12, 2012, 04:14:20 PM
Congrats to those 4 individuals.  I am sure each of them would give up any personal award to still be playing this weekend.  I expect to see DK,and CV on the final teams when they are announced.

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'"

Dang. But congratulations to those fine players and coaches.

1.That is so true!! 2. Your "picture" is just a little creepy. :)

You should see 'Dutch' in person.  :)
I think I'll take a pass ;D ;D ;D ;D

If that's your response, so much for living a FULL life.......!!!!!!!!!!   :D

There's always the opportunity of adding this to your "Bucket" list!!! :)

1. Now you've got me interested!!!!! 2. I am living a FULL life...!!!!! and 3. Added ;D ;D ;D  Now, how do I get it done? ;D ;D ;D
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

NCF

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on March 13, 2012, 01:57:05 PM
Some pretty awesome and well deserved recognitions for David. 

I was just looking again at his career stats as well as Hope's all-time stats and noticed that there are only 2 players in Hope's history to reach:

1000+ points
400+ assists
200+ steals
400+ rebounds

Those players are Joel Holstege and David Krombeen.  In fact Holstege and Krombeen are 1-2 in Assists and Steals.  Most impressive to me for these point guards, is that they rebounded so well (Krombeen is in the top 10 all-time for defensive rebounds).

Those are amazing stats!Congrats to him!
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: wwjjdd on March 12, 2012, 08:51:00 PM
I just found out that Hope is increasing its data bandwidth to five times its current rate.  Bandwidth rates for the fall semester have yet to be determined.  This is a good omen for those who have wished that Hope provide video of basketball games.  I am not saying the will to provide video is there, but at least now the bandwidth is.

They did provide a full broadcast of the games the first weekend in the tournament. From my conversations with Hope, I am under the impression they didn't do this - or prepare - for just the NCAA. I suspect this is an investment in the future for broadcasting games and events.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Happy Calvin Guy

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 13, 2012, 02:04:29 PM
I just found out that Hope is increasing its data bandwidth to five times its current rate.  Bandwidth rates for the fall semester have yet to be determined.  This is a good omen for those who have wished that Hope provide video of basketball games.  I am not saying the will to provide video is there, but at least now the bandwidth is.

They did provide a full broadcast of the games the first weekend in the tournament. From my conversations with Hope, I am under the impression they didn't do this - or prepare - for just the NCAA. I suspect this is an investment in the future for broadcasting games and events.

The in-screen score and multiple (closer) camera angles gave the Hope tourney video a superior feel to the Calvin broadcasts.  In a perfect world, I'd love to see a game clock with the in-screen score, and a replay once in a while would also be nice.  The student announcers did a serviceable job, but it would also be even better to integrate the "real" broadcast from radio with the video. 

Wouldn't the video production of sporting events be a great "laboratory" for the media production majors?  We're starting from a place of minimal expectations and it's "free labor". 

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: Happy Calvin Guy on March 13, 2012, 02:53:59 PM
Wouldn't the video production of sporting events be a great "laboratory" for the media production majors?  We're starting from a place of minimal expectations and it's "free labor".

I believe that is exactly who produced the NCAA coverage at Hope.
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Civic Minded

The in-screen score and multiple (closer) camera angles gave the Hope tourney video a superior feel to the Calvin broadcasts.  In a perfect world, I'd love to see a game clock with the in-screen score, and a replay once in a while would also be nice.  The student announcers did a serviceable job, but it would also be even better to integrate the "real" broadcast from radio with the video. 

It's my understanding that Hope is working very deliberately on this project, wanting it to be a high-quality endeavor.  That may mean (and I have no knowledge one way or the other, just a hunch), that this takes longer than being ready by next basketball season.  They seem much more concerned with doing it right than doing it fast, and I'm glad to hear that.
2014 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion  :)

wiz

Quote from: Civic Minded on March 13, 2012, 05:05:45 PM

It's my understanding that Hope is working very deliberately on this project, wanting it to be a high-quality endeavor.  That may mean (and I have no knowledge one way or the other, just a hunch), that this takes longer than being ready by next basketball season.  They seem much more concerned with doing it right than doing it fast, and I'm glad to hear that.

My understanding is that this has always been in the master plan.

almcguirejr

sac

CMU avg'd 1,362 fans per home game in the 5,300 McGuirk Gymnasium

gohope

And... WMU (14-20 overall and 6-10 MAC) averaged 2,744 in attendance for 2011/2012 in their University Arena (5421). If that's a measuring stick, Steve Hawkins could be the next to follow coach Ziegler.

BTW, Hope averaged 3,259 in attendance for 2011/2012 in the DeVos Fieldhouse (3,400).

sac

Quote from: gohope on March 14, 2012, 03:30:01 PM
And... WMU (14-20 overall and 6-10 MAC) averaged 2,744 in attendance for 2011/2012 in their University Arena (5421). If that's a measuring stick, Steve Hawkins could be the next to follow coach Ziegler.

BTW, Hope averaged 3,259 in attendance for 2011/2012 in the DeVos Fieldhouse.

The Hope game was WMU's 3rd highest attended game after CMU and Miami.

CMU--3,958
Miami--3,639
Hope--3,384

knightvision

Civic Minded

Quote from: knightvision on March 14, 2012, 05:16:39 PM
Quote from: almcguirejr on March 14, 2012, 12:25:41 PM
Ernie Ziegler fired at CMU today. 
http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-basketball/2012/3/14/2870979/ernie-ziegler-fired-central-michigan-basketball

...and WOTS is that Ricky Shilts (JV and varsity assistant at Calvin) was let go last week.

Seriously?  That seems like a shame.  Nice guy, seemed like a good coach.  I'm sure there's more to the story, but if this is true, it makes me sad.   :-\
2014 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion  :)

sflzman

Quote from: Roundball999 on March 12, 2012, 07:10:58 PM
Found this yutube video of fans cheering during a timeout in the Hope-IWU game.  What a fabulous environment for small college basketball, great job by the Hope community.  Even more props to IWU for pulling off the win in the face of this kind of support for the home team.  But the IWU fan section, seen sitting behind the IWU bench, also did a great job too in making a lot of noise in support of their team throughout the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEuAYQ3q7kw

Anyone know when hope started doing the iterlude at home games?

And also thought I would point out that official attendance for the girls class b quarterinal between freeland and Gladstone in the art smith arena Tuesday was 767 (a little low by my estimation) and that place was so loud that the pa announcer could barely be heard and his volume was turned at the max without blowing out something. Shows again how loud that building gets when people are in it. Overheard coach hargraves munboing under his breath as he was "greeting" at the door while I was on my way out "wow. I want to play in front of an alma college crowd like that".

Just thought I'd put that out there. I'll be really interested to see how the boys quarterfinal will draw. Especially if Sparta won tonight against Muskegon heights. There is talk of 1000+ and a chance to set an attendance record at that gym 
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

SBell

Not sure what Sparta winning has to do with it. Heights has a tradition of traveling well, Sparta has no tradition of doing anything. Height vs. Cadillac rematch will get lots of fans.