2014 D3 Season: National Perspective

Started by PaulNewman, August 24, 2014, 02:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

NCAA has a formula they use, based on number of participating teams in a sport, that determines how many playoff bids are awarded ... plus three more teams would cost them that much more money and the AA is never known for freely spending money on D3. 

wingtips2

Quote from: WarhawkFan on November 11, 2014, 11:15:43 PM
Quote from: wingtips2 on November 11, 2014, 01:26:26 PM
Sweet 16
UWW/Wartburg
Loras/Trinity

Hey Wingtips, while I would love to see this matchup, how do you imagine the UWW/Wheaton game goes in order for this to happen?
If Wheaton brings the offense of the conference tourney then I don't see UWW winning. 
But I see UWW winning their 8th 1-0 game of the season.

wingtips2

Quote from: Allsoccer7 on November 12, 2014, 01:09:13 AM
Possible greatest upset?
Catholic over Coast Guard - CG has 3 draws and a loss in their last 4 games.
PSBehrend has a chance - last year wasn't the only tourney that OWU has dropped the ball in the last 6 years (09- Transylvania & 12- Centre).

WarhawkFan

Quote from: wingtips2 on November 12, 2014, 10:53:09 AM
Quote from: WarhawkFan on November 11, 2014, 11:15:43 PM
Quote from: wingtips2 on November 11, 2014, 01:26:26 PM
Sweet 16
UWW/Wartburg
Loras/Trinity

Hey Wingtips, while I would love to see this matchup, how do you imagine the UWW/Wheaton game goes in order for this to happen?
If Wheaton brings the offense of the conference tourney then I don't see UWW winning. 
But I see UWW winning their 8th 1-0 game of the season.

Fair enough, I could see that happening. 2 out of Wheaton's 3 losses have come with a 1-0 scoreline and UWW does have 7 (wow) 1-0 wins this year.  I was imagining something similar (or possibly 0-0/1-1 with UWW holding on for PKs).

Soccergeek

Quote from: NCAC New England on November 11, 2014, 11:16:59 PM
Bloecher generally isn't going to dribble a lot or cut through 4 defenders, but he has an uncanny ability to find the right spots to be dangerous, and he can hurt you in several different ways.  He's not often going to score from 25 yard blasts (although he can), but his runs into the box and plays inside the box are top-notch and he finishes his chances at a very high clip.  He's also a high level competitor and extremely clutch.   Also very dangerous on any free kicks from 25 yards and in.  I'd have to see Vegter play again to be sure, but I tend to think Bloecher and Payne are more versatile while Vegter has a lethal shot and will score if he has space from 25-28 yards out with regularity.

As an MIAA fan, I have seen Vegter play numerous times over the last few years.  He plays the game as if his life depends upon his team winning, with a drive and enthusiasm and aggression I have rarely, if ever, seen at this level.  His ability to finish a scoring opportunity, whether inside or outside the box, is second to none.  He is both fast and quick, but I would describe his ability to beat one or more defenders off the dribble as slightly above average but not elite.  Bottom line, he will do whatever it takes to lead his team to victory, from diving to draw a PK to giving up his body to force a turnover to striking a laser from 25 yards out into the upper 90.

Off Pitch

Quote from: wingtips2 on November 12, 2014, 11:05:53 AM
Quote from: Allsoccer7 on November 12, 2014, 01:09:13 AM
Possible greatest upset?
Catholic over Coast Guard - CG has 3 draws and a loss in their last 4 games.

Catholic has 3 draws in their last 5 games.  Based on recent results, this could be the game most likely to go to PKs which would seem to suit Catholic just fine.  Catholic won the Landmark conference tournament with two draws and triumphed on PKs.

Christan Shirk

Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 12, 2014, 10:39:09 AM
Quote from: wingtips2 on November 12, 2014, 10:31:59 AM
Quote from: D3soccerwatcher on November 11, 2014, 08:04:25 PM
Can someone explain to me how a team with 3 losses (Wheaton, IL) gets one of only three byes in the tourney?  The other two teams with byes were undefeated and there are numerous teams between undefeated and 3 losses.
I'm still perplexed that the NCAA can't add 3 more teams to make it a full 64 team field....
So the decision to awards byes is beyond baffling to me.
NCAA has a formula they use, based on number of participating teams in a sport, that determines how many playoff bids are awarded ... plus three more teams would cost them that much more money and the AA is never known for freely spending money on D3.

As presented in D3soccer.com's introduction to the tournament and my earlier column on the AQ's and Pool B and C at-large berths, the NCAA has prescribed an approximate 6.5 to 1 access ratio for most Division III team sports.  That is, 1 tournament spot for every 6.5 tournament eligible teams.  Division III men's soccer has 399 eligible team this season.  399 / 6.5  = 61.4, thus a 61-team field for the men's tournament.  The women have a full 64-team field because they have 427 eligible teams (427 / 6.5 = 65.7 > 64, use max. of 64).
Christan Shirk
Special Consultant and Advisor
D3soccer.com

D3Soceerfan

CG is trash.. I dont even know how they made it this far into the season before the crumbled.. All they do is run and get in the way, not a single one of their players would start on a NESCAC, maybe not even the 2nd 11 of these programs. the only exception is maybe their goalie, but he isnt great either.. i expect them to lose in the first round

Flying Weasel

Quote from: Soccergeek on November 12, 2014, 11:21:26 AM
Quote from: NCAC New England on November 11, 2014, 11:16:59 PM
Bloecher generally isn't going to dribble a lot or cut through 4 defenders, but he has an uncanny ability to find the right spots to be dangerous, and he can hurt you in several different ways.  He's not often going to score from 25 yard blasts (although he can), but his runs into the box and plays inside the box are top-notch and he finishes his chances at a very high clip.  He's also a high level competitor and extremely clutch.   Also very dangerous on any free kicks from 25 yards and in.  I'd have to see Vegter play again to be sure, but I tend to think Bloecher and Payne are more versatile while Vegter has a lethal shot and will score if he has space from 25-28 yards out with regularity.

As an MIAA fan, I have seen Vegter play numerous times over the last few years.  He plays the game as if his life depends upon his team winning, with a drive and enthusiasm and aggression I have rarely, if ever, seen at this level.  His ability to finish a scoring opportunity, whether inside or outside the box, is second to none.  He is both fast and quick, but I would describe his ability to beat one or more defenders off the dribble as slightly above average but not elite.  Bottom line, he will do whatever it takes to lead his team to victory, from diving to draw a PK to giving up his body to force a turnover to striking a laser from 25 yards out into the upper 90.

This completely jives with my impression of Vegter from his play as a freshman at the 2011 Final Four.  He seemed to play and carry himself with an awfully high level of confidence and maybe even cockiness for a freshman, but he had the quality and intensity to match as for me he was one of the standout players at that Final Four.

Off Pitch

Quote from: D3Soceerfan on November 12, 2014, 12:25:35 PM
CG is trash.. I dont even know how they made it this far into the season before the crumbled.. All they do is run and get in the way, not a single one of their players would start on a NESCAC, maybe not even the 2nd 11 of these programs. the only exception is maybe their goalie, but he isnt great either.. i expect them to lose in the first round

Coast Guard will not make it past the 2nd round, but they did beat the only NESCAC team they played this year - semi-finalist Conn. C.  Not bad for 3rd stringers.  They also tied Wheaton and beat Babson.  Admittedly, Coast Guard is very defensive minded and does not play "the beautiful game", but they are tremendously fit and will not be outworked on the pitch. Catholic's chances in round one?  Slim and nun.

All NESCAC

Quote from: Off Pitch on November 12, 2014, 12:54:09 PM
Quote from: D3Soceerfan on November 12, 2014, 12:25:35 PM

Coast Guard will not make it past the 2nd round, but they did beat the only NESCAC team they played this year - semi-finalist Conn. C.  Not bad for 3rd stringers.  They also tied Wheaton and beat Babson.  Admittedly, Coast Guard is very defensive minded and does not play "the beautiful game", but they are tremendously fit and will not be outworked on the pitch. Catholic's chances in round one?  Slim and nun.

OffPitch...CG was extraordinary lucky to win 1-0 vs Conn on a big keeper error....they were outshot, outhustled and outplayed, but they did make count one of their only 4 shots all game...Conn walked in alone 3 times in that game but never finished (story of Conn season...no finish and bad goaltending).....Catholic just has to be patient and be wary of the lone striker counter attack...if you are patient they can be beaten because they bring no attacking ability at all to pitch...however the attacking team must remain patient and probe and not rush its offense....i'll be surprised if they get by Catholic

Off Pitch

Maybe Coast Guard was tired from having to make that long trip to Conn.   

Soccergeek

I'm a fan of the Massey Ratings.  I think they do a pretty good job at objectively ranking the teams in various sports.  If you review their latest Division III Men's Soccer rankings (through Sunday's games), these are the teams that have the biggest gripe about being left out of the tournament:

Elmhurst (No. 24)
Haverford (No. 25)
Rensselaer (No. 28)
Kalamazoo (No. 31)
Worcester Tech (No. 32)

These are the at-large teams that should be thankful the Massey Ratings aren't relevant:

Dominican (No. 33)
Rochester (No. 34)
Salisbury St. (No. 37)
Brockport St. (No. 51)
Texas-Dallas (No. 60)

lastguyoffthebench

I also find Massey Rankings to be very accurate (except they hold no weight for what matters).

I'm intrigued with the CSS vs Chicago game, soccergeek...  CSS SOS of #334 vs Chicago SOS of #1, respectively

Purchase            SOS 340
Morrisville St      SOS 345
Daniel Webster   SOS 369
Baruch               SOS  379

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell