New Regional Rankings are out...

1. Chapman
2. Trinity
3. Texas Lutheran
4. La Verne
5. Occidental
6. Concordia (TX)
7. Cal Lutheran

Expected as Oxy won all their games between rankings so CTX could not jump them and LV lost at least one game so I can see them dropping down.  Three games with Trinity must have given TLU a SOS boost for their rise.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Jim Dixon on May 10, 2019, 12:36:24 PM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 08, 2019, 03:06:19 PM
New Regional Rankings are out...

1. Chapman
2. Trinity
3. Texas Lutheran
4. La Verne
5. Occidental
6. Concordia (TX)
7. Cal Lutheran

Expected as Oxy won all their games between rankings so CTX could not jump them and LV lost at least one game so I can see them dropping down.  Three games with Trinity must have given TLU a SOS boost for their rise.
Big picture for the West Region...

I like it. I expect CTX to win the ASC Pool A, and we may get 2 Pool C bids.

Jim's thought of having the 4-team pod in SoCal and TUTX hosting CTX looks plausible.

What I would really like is for West Region teams to be sent to different super-regionals and not play each other.

Bmo

Here's my completely uneducated guess at formats and participants.  West gets 5 teams in, and TLU is the pool C.  I believe that the NCAA has 3 2-team format regionals they have to use, so they'll probably use them in the West.  Chapman vs Whitman, Concordia vs TLU, Trinity vs Fly-In. 

At least this way, you would have the potential for 3 west teams into the supers.  If the west gets a 4 team and a 2 team, there is little doubt those those regional winners will get paired up and knock each other out of the WS.

It looks like Chapman loosing the only way the west gets 6 teams in.  Still a chance the West only gets in the Pool As, which would be a really bad precedent.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Bmo on May 11, 2019, 12:45:27 PM
Here's my completely uneducated guess at formats and participants.  West gets 5 teams in, and TLU is the pool C.  I believe that the NCAA has 3 2-team format regionals they have to use, so they'll probably use them in the West.  Chapman vs Whitman, Concordia vs TLU, Trinity vs Fly-In. 

At least this way, you would have the potential for 3 west teams into the supers.  If the west gets a 4 team and a 2 team, there is little doubt those those regional winners will get paired up and knock each other out of the WS.

It looks like Chapman loosing the only way the west gets 6 teams in.  Still a chance the West only gets in the Pool As, which would be a really bad precedent.

I see two west regionals a 2 and 4 team regional.  The other 2 team regionals can be used on conferenses that has three members in the playoffs.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Jim Dixon on May 11, 2019, 05:38:19 PM

I see two west regionals a 2 and 4 team regional.  The other 2 team regionals can be used on conferenses that has three members in the playoffs.
Jim, do you see any other travel orphans where the 2-team regional might be used?

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 11, 2019, 08:23:03 PM
Quote from: Jim Dixon on May 11, 2019, 05:38:19 PM

Jim, do you see any other travel orphans where the 2-team regional might be used?

Maybe LaGrange and Birmingham Southern?  That is just a guess as I know they are fairly close.

Ron Boerger

The NCAA once again finds a way to screw Trinity out of hosting. Would love to hear the logic involved in putting this regional at Texas Lutheran, it's not like they can claim to save travel money this time.

Maybe Trinity said field conditions wouldn't allow the games to be played or didn't apply, I dunno, but this really gets old.  I see several other #1s get the privilege of travelling to play at #2's field so at least TU isn't alone. 

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Ron Boerger on May 13, 2019, 12:27:23 PM
The NCAA once again finds a way to screw Trinity out of hosting. Would love to hear the logic involved in putting this regional at Texas Lutheran, it's not like they can claim to save travel money this time.

Maybe Trinity said field conditions wouldn't allow the games to be played or didn't apply, I dunno, but this really gets old.  I see several other #1s get the privilege of travelling to play at #2's field so at least TU isn't alone.

I'm guessing it's due to graduation. Ring on Saturday the 18th. TLU just held graduation on the 11th.

Ron Boerger

Hmm.  Trinity holds its graduations in Laurie Auditorium which has parking well away from lower campus where the stadium is located.  I guess it's possible but it's very unfortunate for the guys regardless.

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: Ron Boerger on May 13, 2019, 12:27:23 PM
The NCAA once again finds a way to screw Trinity out of hosting.

Doesn't the highest seed that puts in a bid get to host ? (i.e. had Trinity put in a bid they would be hosting)

In talking with a Trinity alum, he's not positive, but believes Jack is correct re: Trinity didn't put in a bid because of graduation.

Either way, glad we may have an opportunity to see more epic TU vs. TLU postseason games.

JSG

Ron Boerger

Congratulations to Chapman who rolled through Birmingham-Southern 6-4 / 11-0 to claim the national championship.  That's four straight (and a runner-up, last season) for the West Region.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ron Boerger on June 04, 2019, 07:23:35 PM
Congratulations to Chapman who rolled through Birmingham-Southern 6-4 / 11-0 to claim the national championship.  That's four straight (and a runner-up, last season) for the West Region,
... and five of the last 7 with Linfield in 2013.

UT-Tyler won it last year coming out of the "Central Regional", too.

I wish we could get our West Region teams disbursed across the country.

SoCalSoxFan

March 3, 2020
2020 D3baseball.com/NCBWA Top 25, Week 2
Through games of Sunday, March 1, 2020:

#   School (1st votes)   Rec   Pts   Prev.
1   Washington U. (9)   6-0   563   4
2   Cal Lutheran (7)   13-1   550   15
3   Chapman (1)           10-3   534   1
4   Trinity (Texas) (2)   8-2   529   2

I know it's early, but that's a lot of West representation at the top!!
3 out of top 4.

If the season ended this way would they send 2 of the teams to other regions?
Or just the 2nd place SCIAC team (which wouldn't be a guaranteed selection)

Again... it's early, but it's fun to speculate!!

BigPoppa

Also, most other regions are just getting going so west teams have piled up wins as other teams sit in gyms.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: SoCalSoxFan on March 03, 2020, 03:27:13 PM
March 3, 2020
2020 D3baseball.com/NCBWA Top 25, Week 2
Through games of Sunday, March 1, 2020:

#   School (1st votes)   Rec   Pts   Prev.
1   Washington U. (9)   6-0   563   4
2   Cal Lutheran (7)   13-1   550   15
3   Chapman (1)           10-3   534   1
4   Trinity (Texas) (2)   8-2   529   2

Remember that five of six losses for the three West Region teams came this last weekend

I know it's early, but that's a lot of West representation at the top!!
3 out of top 4.

If the season ended this way would they send 2 of the teams to other regions?
Or just the 2nd place SCIAC team (which wouldn't be a guaranteed selection)

Again... it's early, but it's fun to speculate!!