WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

dballa, HPU plays at McM on Feb 9th, at HSU on Feb 11th and at SRSU on Feb 13th.  That is a tough road trip even if you are spending a couple of nights in your own bed!

The legs might get you in Sul Ross, altho' they will have made the "same" road trip...at HSU at McM and then back to Alpine.

mcmfan

Even momentum can be misleading.  McM lost its last three regular season games a year ago, to HPU away but to UMHB and Concordia at home.  Yet we bounced back in the conference tournament.  (Of course, some of this was because Coach Nichols didn't play Tuttle, who was injured, in those losing games, giving her more recovery time for the tournament; and I remember HSU lost one of their starters to injury in the tournament game before they played us, so they were lacking her).  HPU looked unstoppable in the tournament and then lost to Trinity in the Mausoleum.   I think McM, HSU, and HPU are closely enough matched right now that, assuming they all make it to the tournament without major injuries, anything can happen.
Alacumba!

dballa

Ralph I think they have enough stamina to last through all 3 of those games, at least to play defense well.  It's just a matter of HPU stepping up and hitting shots.  Against HSU they had a lot of them roll in and out of the rim, which is unfortunate.

HPU should win easily out in Alpine and if they win one of the games in Abilene, hopefully both coming from this point of view, then they should be ready to play well in the conference tournament.  But those games are a long ways off.  They still have 6 games before that weekend comes up and have to play well in all 6 to be ready to go to Abilene and compete.

Ralph Turner

dballa, the key is to try to catch MissColl in the Finals.  However, MC is going to have to face 2 of those 3 in the Tourney.

dballa

I don't know I think I would rather play them in the 2nd round game.  You would already have experience from the first game and be comfortable with the setting but MC wouldn't have the moment of 2 straight wins in the tourney, kind of like HPU did last year when they played McMurry.  Once they got rolling nobody was going to stop them in the tournament.  You catch them early and there's a better chance of catching them offguard.

inthepaint

I believe the home court advantage in Browntown has little to do with the crowd but more with the poor facility.  Most ASC teams play in well-lit gymnasiums with good, solid flooring and goals that are mounted to the walls, not in a dark, dingy building with a temporary floor and goals held in place with 55 gallon drums.  Shooting the ball has to be tough with depth perception issues playing in that Mausolem.  HPU practices in that facility daily so they have a real advantage over a team that plays there once a season.  Both McM and HSU must be feeling good about their chances of taking their home games against HPU this season. 

And why are you slamming my Karma points?

dballa

I didn't know HSU's goals were mounted to the wall and didn't know the lighting in McMurry was top quality but whatever you say.  If you're telling me HPU's crowds have nothing to do with their homecourt advantage you've lost your mind.  Ask any player who has shot a free throw in the 2nd half when the student section was sitting behind the goal. 

MC's court has the same depth perception with their high roof...

oh and how many D1 or D2 schools have their goals mounted to the wall? what does that have to do with anything anyways?  Go ahead and break out a copy of Hoosiers if you want and check out the scene where the measure the height of the goal and distance to the free throw line.  It's all the same.

inthepaint

Mounted to the walls or hanging from the ceilings, whatever.  Take a chill pill and don't be so defensive over your 55 gallon drums!

The point I attempted to make is that the Mausoleum is a tough place to play and not simply because of the noise the students make.  I would venture to say that most would agree that the Jackets have a huge home court advantage because of the facility itself.  There is a reason it is referred to as the Mausoleum.  To lose back-to-back home games with such a huge home court advantage has to take its toll.

Now, give me some positive karma, please!  :-*

Ralph Turner

:D :D :D :D :D :D

dballa, it's the Brownwood Mausoleum!  I was probably watching McM-HPU basketball in that facility before you were born!   :D :D :D :D :D

I think that that same light bulb is still burning!   Wow!  It's gotta be in The Guinness' Book of Records!

Ralph Turner

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

That single solitary light bulb.... It's such a dedicated little light bulb!  It just does its job, every night since the Nixon Administration!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ROTFLMAO  :D :D :D

Ralph Turner

Okay, how old are the facilities?

McMurry- Kimbrell Arena, 1973, when Coach Ron Holmes was a freshman.
SRSU--The "Pete P" Gallego Center--  ?2002?
HSU--??
UMHB--2005
Schreiner--???
TLU--???
CUA--???
HPU---???

inthepaint

That's why you're our hero around here, Ralph.  You actually remember things back in the Nixon administration!   ;)

dballa

I wasn't being defensive just making my point as you were.  
Ralph the Coliseum is only 11 yrs older than Kimbrell which was built 3 yrs before I was born so I'm sure you were checkin out games there as well :)

And like I said about the home court.  When it's a full crowd it's a completely different environment.  If you've been to a game with a large crowd and one with only a couple hundred people you definitely would know the difference.  Being an HSU fan I would think you would know that.  The crowd can pump up the home team and get in the mind of the visiting team.  

inthepaint

Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 18, 2006, 12:29:47 AM
Okay, how old are the facilities?

McMurry- Kimbrell Arena, 1973, when Coach Ron Holmes was a freshman.
SRSU--The "Pete P" Gallego Center--  ?2002?
HSU--??
UMHB--2005
Schreiner--???
TLU--???
CUA--???
HPU---???

HPU -- 1963 according to the Handbook of Texas Online

inthepaint

I know exactly what you are talking about, Dballa. (Postive karma deserved)  Home court advantage is huge and in no small part to crowd support. (Positive karma?)  The Browntown facility with students sitting right behind the backboards is one of the best examples as you clearly articulated. (Surely that statement deserves some positive karma)  That makes my point all the more - losing back-to-back home games with that tremendous home court advantage has to be playing havoc on the minds of those Lady Jackets!  It will be a difficult mental hurdle for the girls to overcome.  The McM and HSU squads must feel they are now at an advantage.  However, if any team can overcome the odds it will be those Lady Jackets, our ASC defending champs! (Come on, now, positive karma is in order!)