CCIW

Started by Mr. Ypsi, September 04, 2009, 08:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thePietist

NP wins in first minute of OT off a corner.  AQ goes to NP.  

Let's hope Wheaton gets the nod for a pool C bid.

Congrats, Vikings!

Gregory Sager

Grahn knocked in his second goal of the game, and his tenth of the season, six and a half minutes into OT.

Great game. Wish I could've been there, but I'm glad that WETN carried it online.

Wheaton dominated the shooting stats, but NPU did a better job of capitalizing on its opportunities.

Great gut-check win, since it must've been devastating to have the win slip away in the last minute of regulation. To snap back from that and win it in OT really says a lot about the fortitude of the Vikings.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

I hear a lot of screaming in the background. Sounds like NPU's student body was well-represented at Joe Bean Stadium tonight.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

coat

So, I know I'm jumping the gun a little, but does NP have a decent shot of hosting a game in the tourney?

thePietist

The Coat!

Sager will tell you for sure but I'm guessing that it all depends who else gets AQ bids in the region.  If its the usual suspects, I'd say NP is gonna travel.  If there are some upsets...who knows?

Normally I wouldn't wish it upon the Vikings to play Calvin but seeing as that might be my only shot of seeing a game I wouldn't mind if Calvin hosted.

FreeScrimp

Indeed. Looked like a typical North Park/Wheaton final game, as far as fan representation. ($5 to the Wheaton Boosters who were simulcasting the game was worth it). North Park taking the entire right side of the stands, Wheaton taking the left. From the sounds of the game, I'm happy that I didn't hear an overhead announcement directed towards the stands (albeit the end of the game where NP students rightly rushed the field in celebration). I always get nervous that the in-stands banter gets worse and worse each year, but it seemed respectful. (Maybe a person who was actually at the game can comment more directly).

From what I saw today, as a North Parker, I'm nervous about the 2011 and 2012 Wheaton team. Their back line was solid and they will only get better. They had a strong schedule this year and have experience of big games in their back pockets. Their season is likely over at this point, but we'll see what Pool C results show.

Here's hoping NP can get out of the first round of the tourney this year.

My brother posts on this message board?!?

Mr. Ypsi

WOW!!  Wheaton hosts three conference championships today (American football and both genders of the real football ;)) and goes 0-3!!  Who'd a thunk it?! :D

Gregory Sager

Quote from: thePietist on November 06, 2010, 11:33:50 PM
Normally I wouldn't wish it upon the Vikings to play Calvin but seeing as that might be my only shot of seeing a game I wouldn't mind if Calvin hosted.

I don't want NPU to play Calvin. My nephew is a freshman at Calvin. That would make it hard enough for me to deal with ... but my brother is an NPU grad, too, and it could make life in his house very tough. ;)

Quote from: FreeScrimp on November 06, 2010, 11:37:19 PM
Indeed. Looked like a typical North Park/Wheaton final game, as far as fan representation. ($5 to the Wheaton Boosters who were simulcasting the game was worth it). North Park taking the entire right side of the stands, Wheaton taking the left. From the sounds of the game, I'm happy that I didn't hear an overhead announcement directed towards the stands (albeit the end of the game where NP students rightly rushed the field in celebration). I always get nervous that the in-stands banter gets worse and worse each year, but it seemed respectful. (Maybe a person who was actually at the game can comment more directly).

I wasn't too thrilled with the "We love Jesus, yes, we do / We love Jesus, how about you?" cheer that the NPU student section used in the earlier match between the two schools at the corner of Foster and Albany. Then again, I've got a serious legacy regarding questionable student cheers that puts me in the "people who live in glass houses" category, so that's all I'll say about that. :D

Quote from: FreeScrimp on November 06, 2010, 11:37:19 PMFrom what I saw today, as a North Parker, I'm nervous about the 2011 and 2012 Wheaton team. Their back line was solid and they will only get better. They had a strong schedule this year and have experience of big games in their back pockets.

Wheaton's gonna be scary. Great thing is, NPU's gonna be scary for the next few seasons, too. Should really ratchet up the rivalry a few notches, which is what I think we all want here, Jim Matson included. Even the WETN guys were saying that, and, aside from their sincere respect for Kris Grahn they weren't exactly generous with their compliments of the Vikings.

Quote from: FreeScrimp on November 06, 2010, 11:37:19 PMTheir season is likely over at this point, but we'll see what Pool C results show.

I honestly don't see Wheaton getting in, which is a shame -- both for them and for the CCIW. However, Chris Shirk, who knows the ins and outs of the situation better than I, is more sanguine of Wheaton's chances.

Since Wash U is the top-ranked team in the Central Region, my best guess is that NPU is headed to St. Louis. However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Park ends up in River Forest, with Central #2 Dominican hosting. I'd rather have that ... River Forest is practically walking distance from NPU.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 06, 2010, 11:59:33 PM
WOW!!  Wheaton hosts three conference championships today (American football and both genders of the real football ;)) and goes 0-3!!  Who'd a thunk it?! :D

World's smallest violin, etc. ;D

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 07, 2010, 12:00:58 AM

Your lack of sympathy is disgus ... exactly what I would have expected! ;D

I confess, I can't summon a whole bunch of sympathy myself. ;)  Though I think it would be a travesty if ANY of the Thunder teams failed to make their national tournieys.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 07, 2010, 12:29:47 AM

In all honesty, it's Wheaton's legacy of soccer greatness that really makes this win sweet, even more so than the rivalry per se. For as much crap as I and the rest of the people who bleed royal-blue-and-gold deal out towards Wheaton, the fact of the matter is that Wheaton is very good in most sports, which makes beating the Sonic Atmospheric Disturbance a mark of excellent performance. But when you beat WC in soccer, you've really done something special ... especially when it's the biggest game of the year and it's on their pitch. And Wheaton's team this year is certainly worthy of that legacy, as can be seen in the fact that the Wheaties ran the table in the conference season and won the CCIW title.

In other words, our respect for Wheaton soccer is what truly makes NPU's win tonight special.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 07, 2010, 12:38:19 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 07, 2010, 12:29:47 AM

In all honesty, it's Wheaton's legacy of soccer greatness that really makes this win sweet, even more so than the rivalry per se. For as much crap as I and the rest of the people who bleed royal-blue-and-gold deal out towards Wheaton, the fact of the matter is that Wheaton is very good in most sports, which makes beating the Sonic Atmospheric Disturbance a mark of excellent performance. But when you beat WC in soccer, you've really done something special ... especially when it's the biggest game of the year and it's on their pitch. And Wheaton's team this year is certainly worthy of that legacy, as can be seen in the fact that the Wheaties ran the table in the conference season and won the CCIW title.

In other words, our respect for Wheaton soccer is what truly makes NPU's win tonight special.

EXACTLY why I am so happy about the Titan women's win.

And someday the Titan men will join the party. ;)

Gregory Sager

Note that I said that Wheaton's soccer excellence is what makes it special, Chuck ... not that it's the happiest element of the win. Or even the second-happiest thing. ;)

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 07, 2010, 12:56:22 AM
And someday the Titan men will join the party. ;)

Is the Kool-Ade always lime-flavored, Chuck, or is it sometimes pistachio- or spinach- or broccoli-flavored? ;)

pad3fan

Quote from: FreeScrimp on November 06, 2010, 11:37:19 PM

Took in my first North Park/Wheaton match live Saturday night. It was, a great game! On the field it was a well fought battle by both teams. To FreeScrimp's comment, SOME of the banter, from SOME of the NP student section was not respectful. After the second goal, a group ran the length of the stands to the Wheaton student section and taunted the section with their celebrations. Additional comments (language) were shouted at the students. It came off as looking rather "class less"  and nothing like I see here from the North Park supporters .

Dennis_Prikkel

Yes i made it to the wheaton pitch last night - along with several hundred other north park fans.  A number of us less-vociferous types took up the section to the immediate left of the entrance, while the NP students were police herded into the far left section.

Slimmo and I arrived in time to see most of the 2nd half and the overtime of the women's championship.  There were no police present for that match !!!  The titan ladies played inspired defensive football and was happy when they won it on penalty kicks.  Wheaton kept shuffling in fresh bodies, but played a very uninspired game.  Good for IWU.

In the men's match it was quickly evident that the officials were going to have to take control - and thankfully they did, as bodies were flying and lying all over the pitch.  Krahn's first goal was a long one.  (and the homers on the WETN radio broadcast should give it a rest - wow were they bad - the sun doesnt rise or set on wheaton guys).

The wind picked up after the first game and it was real cold for the 2nd game.

Seems to me a more sensible CCIW commissioner would have forced the games to be played in the afternoon, rather than bowing to pressure to keep all three contests in Crusaderland.

And what in the hell were police doing at the game.
I am determined to be wise, but this was beyond me.