FB: Northwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluenote

.... we read.... it's a huge bigly HOAX! .... a Witch Hunt!  :P ... Believe me! Fake News!!!

catjumper

Driving north on U.S. Highway 99W as the annual 'Cat Fight nears, and there's no way not to figure that this isn't going to get ugly, that Linfield can name the score in this one.

Of course, that was what I distinctly recall thinking the late morning of November 1, 2014 – and we all remember how that turned out. And that paled in comparison to the shock of almost three decades before, on November 5, 1983 – which I still have trouble believing, and I was there to watch it.

Two good reminders that Linfield vs. Willamette is a rivalry game, and anything can happen. And maybe that shock is how the Bearcats felt in 1949.

Anyway, just like trotting out "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" each year, for me it wouldn't feel right to have this grudge match played without an annual review of some highlights of this rivalry's history:

November 1, 1902: McMinnville College and Willamette University meet for the first time, a 6-6 tie in McMinnville.

October 17, 1903: Willamette wins 27-0 in the first game of the series played in Salem.

November 24, 1922: Willamette wins 36-0 in McMinnville in Linfield's first season of football since 1905. It's also the Wildcats' first-ever Homecoming game.

November 7, 1925: Linfield gets its first win in the series, a 3-0 victory in Salem.

1928-1932: Linfield scores just six points in five games against Willamette; among scores of the losses were 36-0, 47-0 and 48-0.

October 20, 1934: Willamette again spoils Linfield's Homecoming with a 32-7 win. In the aftermath of the game, a Willamette student or students paint "WU" on the doors of Melrose Hall and saw off the goalposts at Maxwell Field.

Linfield President Elam Anderson suspends participation in all athletics with Willamette until the culprit or culprits of the vandalism confess. It takes over a year of negotiation before the Wildcats and Bearcats compete again.

1935: Without Willamette on the schedule, Linfield wins a share of its first Northwest Conference football championship.

November 5, 1949: Linfield beats Willamette 20-0 in McMinnville, ending a 17-game losing streak against the Bearcats dating back to 1927. Earlier in the fall, Linfield President Harry Dillin – responding to claims by his football team that it would beat WU that year – said if the Wildcats ever beat the Bearcats in football while he was still around the College, he'd stand on his head on the 50-yard line. After the game, Dillin keeps his promise.

1967: Willamette turns in Linfield for a financial aid discrepancy involving athlete healthcare, leading to the Northwest Conference sanctioning the Wildcats with a ban on team and individual conference championships for a year. Linfield had won four of the last six NWC football titles, four of the last seven men's basketball titles and eight of the last nine baseball titles.

1969 – 1982: Linfield runs off a winning streak of its own in the series, beating Willamette 14 straight times, including five shutouts.

November 5, 1983: Linfield, having already won at Pacific Lutheran and seemingly headed to the NAIA Division II playoffs to defend its national title, is upset 26-21 in Salem by a Willamette team that had lost 15 straight games.

November 10, 1984: In the regular season finale in McMinnville, Linfield beats Willamette 55-0; late in the first half, the Wildcats call a timeout to be sure they can punch in one more touchdown to make it 49-0 at the break.

The day before, Linfield's student newspaper, The Linews, had published a prank version of the Willamette Collegian - dubbed The Cullegian - and distributed it on the WU campus.

October 12, 1985: Trailing 33-7 late in the third quarter, Linfield rallies for a 36-33 Homecoming win over Willamette.

October 18, 1997: Willamette's Liz Heaton kicks a pair of extra points, becoming the first woman to play and score in a college football game as the Bearcats beat Linfield 27-0 in Salem.

October 17, 1998: Linfield scores in the final minute to beat Willamette 20-19 in McMinnville, clinching the Wildcats' 43rd consecutive winning season. That gives Linfield the record for most consecutive winning seasons in college football at any level, surpassing the 42 of Harvard and Notre Dame in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Down come the Maxwell Field goalposts.

November 1, 2014: Willamette knocks off highly favored Linfield 31-28 in McMinnville, ending the Wildcats' 36-game Northwest Conference win streak.

October 17, 2015: Linfield beats Willamette 49-7 in Salem, assuring that the Wildcats will have a winning season for the 60th straight autumn.

Additions to this list are welcome.

And, most important: Go Wildcats.

D O.C.

Nicely done CJ

1968 season, Ad Rutschman's first, Willamette ecks out a 0-6 game in Salem.
No NAIA playoffs for the Cats that year.

catjumper

Quote from: D O.C. on October 19, 2019, 02:39:30 AM
Nicely done CJ

1968 season, Ad Rutschman's first, Willamette ecks out a 0-6 game in Salem.
No NAIA playoffs for the Cats that year.

Nice add, DOC - and I'm mildly comforted by Willamette's 63-10 loss to Troy State in the NAIA semifinals.

Most important: one more reason to despise the Bearcats.

(509)Rat

October 19, 2019: Linfield beats Willamette 96-7, setting a record for most lopsided victory in the history of the series

(509)Rat

That's the MLS stadium. St. Thomas' stadium is definitely not impressive

speedybigboy

Quote from: catjumper on October 19, 2019, 02:24:31 AM
Driving north on U.S. Highway 99W as the annual 'Cat Fight nears, and there's no way not to figure that this isn't going to get ugly, that Linfield can name the score in this one.

Of course, that was what I distinctly recall thinking the late morning of November 1, 2014 – and we all remember how that turned out. And that paled in comparison to the shock of almost three decades before, on November 5, 1983 – which I still have trouble believing, and I was there to watch it.

Two good reminders that Linfield vs. Willamette is a rivalry game, and anything can happen. And maybe that shock is how the Bearcats felt in 1949.

Anyway, just like trotting out "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" each year, for me it wouldn't feel right to have this grudge match played without an annual review of some highlights of this rivalry's history:

November 1, 1902: McMinnville College and Willamette University meet for the first time, a 6-6 tie in McMinnville.

October 17, 1903: Willamette wins 27-0 in the first game of the series played in Salem.

November 24, 1922: Willamette wins 36-0 in McMinnville in Linfield's first season of football since 1905. It's also the Wildcats' first-ever Homecoming game.

November 7, 1925: Linfield gets its first win in the series, a 3-0 victory in Salem.

1928-1932: Linfield scores just six points in five games against Willamette; among scores of the losses were 36-0, 47-0 and 48-0.

October 20, 1934: Willamette again spoils Linfield's Homecoming with a 32-7 win. In the aftermath of the game, a Willamette student or students paint "WU" on the doors of Melrose Hall and saw off the goalposts at Maxwell Field.

Linfield President Elam Anderson suspends participation in all athletics with Willamette until the culprit or culprits of the vandalism confess. It takes over a year of negotiation before the Wildcats and Bearcats compete again.

1935: Without Willamette on the schedule, Linfield wins a share of its first Northwest Conference football championship.

November 5, 1949: Linfield beats Willamette 20-0 in McMinnville, ending a 17-game losing streak against the Bearcats dating back to 1927. Earlier in the fall, Linfield President Harry Dillin – responding to claims by his football team that it would beat WU that year – said if the Wildcats ever beat the Bearcats in football while he was still around the College, he'd stand on his head on the 50-yard line. After the game, Dillin keeps his promise.

1967: Willamette turns in Linfield for a financial aid discrepancy involving athlete healthcare, leading to the Northwest Conference sanctioning the Wildcats with a ban on team and individual conference championships for a year. Linfield had won four of the last six NWC football titles, four of the last seven men's basketball titles and eight of the last nine baseball titles.

1969 – 1982: Linfield runs off a winning streak of its own in the series, beating Willamette 14 straight times, including five shutouts.

November 5, 1983: Linfield, having already won at Pacific Lutheran and seemingly headed to the NAIA Division II playoffs to defend its national title, is upset 26-21 in Salem by a Willamette team that had lost 15 straight games.

November 10, 1984: In the regular season finale in McMinnville, Linfield beats Willamette 55-0; late in the first half, the Wildcats call a timeout to be sure they can punch in one more touchdown to make it 49-0 at the break.

The day before, Linfield's student newspaper, The Linews, had published a prank version of the Willamette Collegian - dubbed The Cullegian - and distributed it on the WU campus.

October 12, 1985: Trailing 33-7 late in the third quarter, Linfield rallies for a 36-33 Homecoming win over Willamette.

October 18, 1997: Willamette's Liz Heaton kicks a pair of extra points, becoming the first woman to play and score in a college football game as the Bearcats beat Linfield 27-0 in Salem.

October 17, 1998: Linfield scores in the final minute to beat Willamette 20-19 in McMinnville, clinching the Wildcats' 43rd consecutive winning season. That gives Linfield the record for most consecutive winning seasons in college football at any level, surpassing the 42 of Harvard and Notre Dame in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Down come the Maxwell Field goalposts.

November 1, 2014: Willamette knocks off highly favored Linfield 31-28 in McMinnville, ending the Wildcats' 36-game Northwest Conference win streak.

October 17, 2015: Linfield beats Willamette 49-7 in Salem, assuring that the Wildcats will have a winning season for the 60th straight autumn.

1983, Wouldn't you still have made the playoffs without the tie to Whitworth the next Saturday that gave us (PLU) the conference title and a playoff spot?

catjumper

Scratch that part about despising the Bearcats. Now I just feel sorry for them.

catjumper

Quote from: speedybigboy on October 19, 2019, 09:46:34 PM
Quote from: catjumper on October 19, 2019, 02:24:31 AM

1983, Wouldn't you still have made the playoffs without the tie to Whitworth the next Saturday that gave us (PLU) the conference title and a playoff spot?

If I remember correctly - and it's entirely possible I don't - at that time, the conference championship didn't determine an automatic qualifier for the playoffs; it went strictly by the national rankings. If you were in the top 8 in the NAIA Division II national rankings at the end of the season you were in the playoffs, and if you weren't in the top 8, you weren't. Linfield had already lost its season-opener at Southern Oregon that year to knock its ranking down a peg, got a bump from the win at PLU, then took a significant slide after the defeat at Willamette. I recall the feeling around campus being that once that WU game was lost, that was pretty much it for the playoffs. And that deflated feeling may very well have contributed to tying Whitworth.

George Thompson

Congrats Wildcats.    Looking very sharp in 2 key areas.

Do not understand 7 and 8 TDs by first team offense.   
Need good rushing game to beat Whitworth and any playoff team, especially on the road.

Beating any Top 25 team will not be like scoring 77 points against Puget Sound and Willamette.   Despite being stellar in so many areas, need big improvement in some others.

GT

GO CATS! GO!

D O.C.

IDK..... defending champs have a 'Get After You' defensive line.

Wildcat'64

Cats were impressive today.  They seemed to just be getting better each and every week.  Had they played Redlands today it would not have been a blemish on the schedule.  Lute week next up!
LEAVE NO DOUBT

CamCat

Quote from: formerd3db on October 15, 2019, 08:19:14 PM
AJWWW:
There had been talk about Willamette dropping their football program? Details?

It may be something to reconsider after how poorly they've done lately
"Football isn't a contact sport, it's a collision sport. Dancing is a contact sport."
Duffy Daugherty

RFB

Quote from: Wildcat'64 on October 20, 2019, 02:34:20 AM
Cats were impressive today.  They seemed to just be getting better each and every week.  Had they played Redlands today it would not have been a blemish on the schedule.  Lute week next up!

Lol. Negative yards rushing.

speedybigboy

Quote from: catjumper on October 19, 2019, 11:14:24 PM
Quote from: speedybigboy on October 19, 2019, 09:46:34 PM

If I remember correctly - and it's entirely possible I don't - at that time, the conference championship didn't determine an automatic qualifier for the playoffs; it went strictly by the national rankings. If you were in the top 8 in the NAIA Division II national rankings at the end of the season you were in the playoffs, and if you weren't in the top 8, you weren't. Linfield had already lost its season-opener at Southern Oregon that year to knock its ranking down a peg, got a bump from the win at PLU, then took a significant slide after the defeat at Willamette. I recall the feeling around campus being that once that WU game was lost, that was pretty much it for the playoffs. And that deflated feeling may very well have contributed to tying Whitworth.

Ah, I assumed you were ahead of us in polls having beaten us. I just know we were sitting on the outside looking in at #9 going into the last week at Pacific whom we beat handily in an absolute downpour mudbath. Every win is a good feeling but then word came that Linfield had tied Whitworth giving us the conference title outright (not an automatic playoff but still a nice feeling). Shortly after that word came that #8, a team from Colorado, had lost, virtually assuring us a playoff bid and setting off a running, diving, face first slide in the mud along the sidelines by my teammates and eventually Frosty. Not participating in the slidefest were myself and our starting middle linebacker (but that is another story).