FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titan Q

Quote from: USee on September 07, 2013, 11:05:30 AM
Hiben is still in school and with the team. He is not practicing and will not play this year from what I understand.

Is this like the season when Kent Raymond godshirted?

USee

That would be preferable to this! No, Hiben is out due to injury for the season. 

Titan Q

T.J. Stinde is not in uniform today @ Aurora...dealing with some knee problems.

I had hopes, probably unrealistic, for Stinde to be able to make a significant contribution this year.  Unfortunately we may be at about the end of the line on Stinde's career...hope I'm wrong.

AndOne

Titan sighting..............

On the way to pick up pizza for dinner last night, and waiting at a stop light to make a turn onto Washington St, which many of you know runs through downtown Naperville. Noticed on the vehicle in from of me an IWU-Titans Football license plate holder. After quickly catching up to the vehicle in question, and motioning for the driver to roll down his window, we carried on a short conversation while cruising down Washington at a little slower pace than the drivers behind us probably appreciated. Turns out the the mystery driver in question was none other than Naperville's own, and former IWU football player Mike Kraft. Despite his "greenness" Mike seems like a pretty good guy. I'm sure he sends greetings to all his green friends.

Titan Q

Final from Aurora...

IWU 48
Aurora 21

* (QB) Rob Gallik: 20-24, 349 yards, 5 TD
* (RB) Devonte Jones: 135 yards rushing, 36 yards receiving (1 TD), 142 yards in kick returns
* (WR) Artie Checchin: 102 yards, 1 TD
* (WR) Tate Musselman: 93 yards, 2 TD
* (WR) Alex Garvey: 91 yards, 1 TD

* (LB) Chris Simms: 10 tackles

My main takeaway here is simply that the Titans have a bunch of offensive weapons, and have a chance to be a very good team this year.

iwu70

Good start for the Titans, with a strong expected air attack with Gallik having a very accurate high % day.  Familiar faces with Musselman and Garvey, some new faces too.  More running game than I expected with the Devonte Jones era now for sure, not Stinde.  Encouraging.  Strong defense as usual, holding the AU runners to less than 3.0 yards/carry.  Long season ahead, tougher foes to come, but this is a very good start on the road.  48-21 Titans.

IWU70

Captain_Joe08

Wheaton leads Benedictine 48-27 in the 4th. It seems the D has had some trouble with BU's offense.
Once a Warrior always a Warrior.
WLC Men's Tennis (2014 NACC Tournament Champs)
2014 MIAA Football Pick 'Em Champ
2014 WIAC Football Pick 'Em Regular Season Co-Champ
2014 National Confidence Playoff Champion
Milwaukee Brewers: 2018 NL Central Champions

NCF

Hope 41, North Park 21. North Park led until the 3rd quarter.
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

markerickson

Doesn't matter who the coach is, I've never seen a North Park team being able to defend the pass at just an average level.
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

iwu70

CCIW teams go 4-2 in the first weekend of football season.  Millikin and NP on the wrong end.  EC, WC, IWU and Augie the winners.

Gallik looked very very sharp . . . and who is???  . . . Artie Checchin?  Great game for him, as a sophomore.

IWU70

iwu70

Mark, we will welcome NPU to Tucci for Homecoming, introduce them to our Titan air attack.  I was getting tired for North Central at Homecoming.  Just say'in. 

IWU70

Titan Q

Quote from: iwu70 on September 08, 2013, 01:45:58 AM
and who is???  . . . Artie Checchin? 

http://www.iwusports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3064&path=football

Checcin is a 6-1/200 sophomore WR.  He was considered one of IWU's top recruits last year, after being named Mid-Suburban East Offensive Player of the Year at Rolling Meadows H.S. in 2011.  It sounds like Checcin impressed during the preseason and is expected to play a big role this year. 

Going all the way back to my classmate Chris Bisaillon ('93), Norm Eash has had a string of strong WRs -- Ryan Tusek ('95), Erin Larsen ('97), Zac Williams ('99), Shawn Emerson ('00),  Eric White ('04), Martin Ceisel ('08), Jack Scalcucci ('09), Joey Driver ('11), Alex Garvey ('13), and Tate Musselman ('13).  It sounds like Artie Checchin is probably that next guy.

----------
From Aug 23 - http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/iwu-players-competing-for-roster-spots-in-sunday-scrimmage/article_219679e8-0c5e-11e3-abc2-0019bb2963f4.html

Sophomore wide receiver Artie Checchin, who didn't catch a pass last season, has "gotten everyone's attention," according to Eash. The 6-foot-1, 205-pound Checchin returned eight kickoffs a year ago for a 24.3-yard average with a long return of 48 yards.

"We knew he was really good anyway," said Eash. "He has speed and size."

----------
From Sept 5 - http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/iwu-football-preview-titans-aim-to-use-rough-finish-as/article_6adb8664-15b1-11e3-b5a3-001a4bcf887a.html

Gallik has plenty of receiving targets. Garvey (50 receptions, 751 yards, 10 TDs), who was last year's IWU Offensive Most Valuable Player, and fifth-year senior Tate Musselman (18-335-8) were all-CCIW second-team selections. Sophomore Artie Checchin was impressive in preseason camp and could be a star in the making.

Titan Q

Another small takeaway from yesterday for IWU -- with the game in hand, it was 6-5 sophomore Tyler Hook who came in for Rob Gallik.  Looks like Hook is clearly IWU's #2 QB this season.

http://www.iwusports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3096&path=football

USee

Quote from: Titan Q on September 08, 2013, 09:05:57 AM
Quote from: iwu70 on September 08, 2013, 01:45:58 AM
and who is???  . . . Artie Checchin? 

http://www.iwusports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3064&path=football

Checcin is a 6-1/200 sophomore WR.  He was considered one of IWU's top recruits last year, after being named Mid-Suburban East Offensive Player of the Year at Rolling Meadows H.S. in 2011.  It sounds like Checcin impressed during the preseason and is expected to play a big role this year. 

Going all the way back to my classmate Chris Bisaillon ('93), Norm Eash has had a string of strong WRs -- Ryan Tusek ('95), Erin Larsen ('97), Zac Williams ('99), Shawn Emerson ('00),  Eric White ('04), Martin Ceisel ('08), Jack Scalcucci ('09), Joey Driver ('11), Alex Garvey ('13), and Tate Musselman ('13).  It sounds like Artie Checchin is probably that next guy.

----------
From Aug 23 - http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/iwu-players-competing-for-roster-spots-in-sunday-scrimmage/article_219679e8-0c5e-11e3-abc2-0019bb2963f4.html

Sophomore wide receiver Artie Checchin, who didn't catch a pass last season, has "gotten everyone's attention," according to Eash. The 6-foot-1, 205-pound Checchin returned eight kickoffs a year ago for a 24.3-yard average with a long return of 48 yards.

"We knew he was really good anyway," said Eash. "He has speed and size."

----------
From Sept 5 - http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/iwu-football-preview-titans-aim-to-use-rough-finish-as/article_6adb8664-15b1-11e3-b5a3-001a4bcf887a.html

Gallik has plenty of receiving targets. Garvey (50 receptions, 751 yards, 10 TDs), who was last year's IWU Offensive Most Valuable Player, and fifth-year senior Tate Musselman (18-335-8) were all-CCIW second-team selections. Sophomore Artie Checchin was impressive in preseason camp and could be a star in the making.

Q, Thanks for ruining my morning with bad memories. While the list you have here is a string of talented and accomplished WR's, I think the accomplishment/talent gap between these receivers is awfully large. Bisaillion is in a class by himself. The next grou that sticks out to me is Emerson and Zac Williams. Those two were very, very good CCIW WR's. I would hesitate putting Alex Garvey and Tate Musselman with the group you list. They may well end up there, but they aren't there yet in my opinion.

If IWU's defense is anywhere close to good, I think the Titans will be very hard to beat.

USee

Wheaton beats Benedicting 48-27 in their opener in Lisle. A few observations:

Benedictine is a dramatically better team than they were a year ago. They have a transfer RB in Mike McNulty who ran for 1,100 yds at Morningside in Iowa 2 yrs ago. Their QB Schultz, is a senior and has an accurate arm. They have a big, strong offensive line. They are well coached on defense. I have a hard time seeing this team middle of the pack in that conference. They are better than the lower half teams in the CCIW in my opinion. I may be wrong but Benedictine is going to surprise some people.

Jordan Roberts is really, really good. Operating in a brand new, Oregon Duck style offense he played with tremendous poise and made plays with his arm and his feet. He completed 67% of his passes and rushed over 7 yds per carry. He will only get better as he grasps more and more of the very complex offense the Thunder are running.

Charlie Velling had a great game. He  just makes plays. Every time he touches the ball he does something positive.

Justin Swider was the difference for the Thunder last night. His 93 yard KO return answered a 50 yd TD pass from Schultz to Omar Lopez and seized back the momentum of the game. He has a great feel in the return game. His vision and reasonable explosiveness is a dangerous combination and the players Wheaton has blocking for him do so with passion. He will be a threat all year. He also caught 3 balls and had 4 carries at tailback for a 4.5 yd average.

The Thunder have a chance to be really, really good this year and with the other talent in the CCIW I think we are all in for some great conference games.