MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

augie77

Quote from: petemcb on October 16, 2014, 10:15:01 AM
Does anyone have any word on any CCIW-related exhibitions/scrimmages prior to the start of the season?  I need a fix.

Augustana will be playing an exhibition at D-1 Bradley in Peoria, 7:00 pm, November 6.  This should be an interesting matchup--more winnable than last years game at Iowa where the Vikings lost by 20 plus points.

petemcb

Quote from: augie77 on October 17, 2014, 02:08:45 PM
Does anyone have any word on any CCIW-related exhibitions/scrimmages prior to the start of the season?  I need a fix.

Augustana will be playing an exhibition at D-1 Bradley in Peoria, 7:00 pm, November 6.  This should be an interesting matchup--more winnable than last years game at Iowa where the Vikings lost by 20 plus points.

That's what I'm talkin' about!

petemcb

And you're right - that will be an interesting matchup. 

iwu70

Sadly, Ypsi, no Chinese opera this go 'round.  But, an IWU alum now performing at the Met in NYC is performing tonight, at the Green Carpet Gala for the 150th Celebration of the School of Music.  Perhaps in a future year, we'll go the Chinese opera route!  Stay tuned. 

No word on other Titan exhibitions as yet.  Seems Jordan Nelson is recovering well, and is starting out with the normal practices as the Titans get officially underway today.  Prospects piece on the Titan squad in today's Pgraph.   Sadly, Heyen is still fighting an ankle injury that will likely require surgery, so he's likely out for 4-5 weeks.  Hopefully, he can get healthy by the end of November and make some contribution later in the season.  The Titans are weak at the 3 and will likely go with this 3 guard set-up (with Dolan as backup) that several have mentioned.  Coyle most likely it would appear at the 4.  Time will tell.  If Marietti and Seibring stay healthy, I'm very optimistic about the Titans this year at the 5 -- both good, tough, bigtime presence players in the low post, both running the floor pretty well.   

Homecoming festivities underway.  Second City performing tonight at Hansen, after the big Music School Gala at the Bloomington Center for the Performing Arts.  All good.

IWU70

AndOne

NCC SCRIMMAGES:

1. 10/29 vs. Concordia-Chicago @ 6:30

2. 11/6 vs. U of Chicago @ 7:00

Both at home in Naperville

Titan Q

Quote from: iwu70 on October 17, 2014, 05:42:08 PM
The Titans are weak at the 3

I think IWU has a lot better wing players on the roster than you realize, Mark.  The Titans should be good at that spot in 2014-15.

AndOne

Quote from: Titan Q on October 17, 2014, 06:37:29 PM

I think IWU has a lot better wing players on the roster than you realize, Mark.  The Titans should be good at that spot in 2014-15.

Are the players of whom you speak true 3s and, if so, do any have any experience at the college level?
Or, are they guys who have historically been true 2s who will now step into a 3-wing position where a bit more physical play and board work might be expected/necessary beyond primarily a shooter's mentality?

Titan Q

Quote from: AndOne on October 17, 2014, 07:24:44 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on October 17, 2014, 06:37:29 PM

Are the players of whom you speak true 3s and, if so, do any have any experience at the college level?
Or, are they guys who have historically been true 2s who will now step into a 3-wing position where a bit more physical play and board work might be expected/necessary beyond primarily a shooter's mentality?

A couple guys in particular come to mind.

6-3 So Andy Stempel (Stevenson H.S.)
I've heard good things about Stempel since he got to campus last year.  Sounds like a very smart and talented wing player.  I've only seen Stempel on this senior year highlight mix, but looks to me like he brings a strong G/F skill set to the floor -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYVRGczRbvw.  I saw Prospect H.S. head coach John Camardella at a wedding 2 weeks ago and he couldn't say enough good things about Stempel (coached against him) just in terms of him being a smart/solid/"winning" type player (not flashy).

6-5 Fr Kevin Connelly (Nazareth Academy)
I don't know a lot about Connelly but I keep hearing really good things.  Connelly is a 3 who, if I have this right, had to play the 5 on his HS team last year based on need - in college he's back to playing the right position.  I've heard he is very strong and skilled and someone who should be a good forward at IWU...and could get in the mix this year.  (I think Connelly can play both forward spots.)

However things shake out with playing time between Pat Sodemann and whoever else ends up in that 3 mix, I believe IWU will be good at the 3...certainly nowhere near "weak" as iwu70 said.

Titan Q

I would add 6-6 Jr F Ryan Coyle to the IWU 3 discussion, but I believe last year he was moved to the 4, and the plan is for him to only play the 4.

Another guy I have only seen on HS video, but seemed to be more 3 than 4 at St. Francis H.S. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTM_9H3eE58.  Looking forward to seeing what Coyle brings to the floor this year.

AndOne

Thanks.
Re Connelly--Knowing the Naz program, it's very easy to understand him playing the 5 there.
Re Coyle--I think his true position at StF was the 3, but he really was all over the floor during the course of many games, and did a little bit of everything.

iwumichigander

Quote from: Titan Q on October 18, 2014, 10:04:53 AM
I would add 6-6 Jr F Ryan Coyle to the IWU 3 discussion, but I believe last year he was moved to the 4, and the plan is for him to only play the 4.

Another guy I have only seen on HS video, but seemed to be more 3 than 4 at St. Francis H.S. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTM_9H3eE58.  Looking forward to seeing what Coyle brings to the floor this year.
Coyle did a decent job at the 4 last year.  If Coyle bulked up a little bit I the off season, then he just might be a starter.  With the right match ups, Sodemann could play the four too but 3 more likely.

Titan Q

Quote from: iwumichigander on October 18, 2014, 04:50:27 PM
With the right match ups, Sodemann could play the four too but 3 more likely.

Sodemann play the 4??

iwu70

Thanks for all the info.  I think Coyle is working at the 4 from what I've heard, what I've been told by players, including Coyle himself.  I still feel that Seibring and Marietti may be on the floor together, at the 4/5.  I like Stempel, too, Q, and he's talented, had a great set of games on the JV squad last year, but he's really not a natural 3.  I stand by my view that IWU still is weak or still has questions at the 3.  Surely no one there like Zman or Keelen or others with more size (Rossi?) and range to play the 3.  That's why I was always big on Heyen to compete with others for time at the 3 -- with his range, 3 ball shooting, wingspan and defence, and running the floor, seemed more the natural 3.  Q, I hope you are right about Connelly.  Haven't seen or heard much about him yet, though I'm sure we'll see what he can do in the G/W game in a few weeks.   Seems Coach Rose will have to experiment and as many have said that a three guard options is very likely, given the talents of Overstreet, Sodemann, Nelson and Dolan.  (I'd include Stempel in that group as a 2, not a 3).  But, what do I know?  I'm just an interested observer.  (Sodemann will not play the 4, only the 2, perhaps much time in a 1-2-2-4-5 type set up.  Should be a great shooting team.  Rebounding and paint scoring is the question I have.  We'll see soon.

Nice Homecoming, save for the 7-2 loss in football to Augie today.  Ugly.

IWU70

iwumichigander

Quote from: Titan Q on October 18, 2014, 04:56:15 PM
Quote from: iwumichigander on October 18, 2014, 04:50:27 PM
With the right match ups, Sodemann could play the four too but 3 more likely.

Sodemann play the 4??
yes, in our 5 guard offense ::)

petemcb

Quote from: AndOne on October 17, 2014, 05:42:55 PM

NCC SCRIMMAGES:

1. 10/29 vs. Concordia-Chicago @ 6:30

2. 11/6 vs. U of Chicago @ 7:00

Both at home in Naperville

Thanks, Mark.  I appreciate that.  Speaking of U of C, whatever happened to those two Whitney Young guards reputed to have D1 potential/interest?  Did they enroll at U of C, are they playing, and, if so, why aren't we hearing more about them?  That was a couple of years ago, wasn't it?  I figured I might do better with this question on this board.  And, while we're at it, is there any word on the basketball comings and goings of Luke Johnson?