FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dballa

Minni,

I think on the update site you had asked fans perspective on how HSU played HPU and how UMHB Played them.  HPU definitely played a more complete game against UMHB.  Against HSU they really didn't start the offense until the 3rd Qtr. 

As far as how both teams looked, UMHB didn't have Rollins in at running back today so that could have made a huge difference for their offense.  HSU easily has a better passing attack but UMHB's running game looks better this year.

As for the defense, HSU definitely hits a lot harder than UMHB but UMHB swarms to the ball and really pressured Adam Johnson the whole game. 

HPU had PJ Williams in check all day long today and really had him frustrated. 

It was a really good game and a classic to watch today.  Should be a very exciting game when HSU and UMHB get together. 

baddog

"What a day" is right!
Gotta give HPU their due.  Their history seems to show that they come out flat after the HSU game -- and have seemed to fold their tents if they lost to HSU. But not this season! Congrats to the Yellowjackets!
And kudos to ETBU, also. As big a surprise this year as they were in 2004.
As for the inaccuracy in the ETBU release, that's par for the course. Their releases and promos always have claimed that they were the "champs" two years ago, never mentioning the "tr-champs" thing. They did represent the ASC in the playoffs, but to imply that they were the sole champions is more than a bit misleading.
And didn't LC give AC quite to going away present? Congratulations to the Wildcats.
As for the HSU Cowboys -- way to go! I listened to the game at work and it sounds like the Marfa lights were at work once again and that the refs had some serious problems with spatial disorientation. Now, go get ready for ETBU! They are hungry and will be primed!

Not really a bad dog. Just misunderstood!

CruGuy

I don't know if the game today was a good game and a classic to watch...

HPU played well and they should be proud, UMHB looked horrible and had two of their better (it's hard to say best in this situation) running backs on the sideline which is the heart of their offensive scheme...between dropped passes, overthrown passes, fumbled completions, poor blocking, poor execution of the option, bad running choices in the backfeild, bad db coverage, missed coverage, dropped interceptions, missed tackles, horrible pash rush when they needed it late, shanked punts, kickoffs out of bounds.....umhb did not look good to watch. I'm a big fan, a loyal fan. They showed very little team intensity and after the drive i had today i don't know if I really wanna make it in two weeks...

etbualum

Nobody recognized other teams in the releases about that year.  Do the UMHB and HSU rings have "tri champ" on it?  I doubt it.

Should be a fun game next week.  HSU always seems to play very well against us (i guess not just us but everyone)  They will be tough at home.

As far as misleading releases they are publicity for the school.  If they were just for giving info they wouldnt have stories they would just be stats.  The par for the course comment was a little uncalled for and a shot at a guy who works his butt off for ETBU.

Its not like he lead with ETBU BEATS OVERRATED TLU.  He stated the facts of the game and gave a recognized ranking.  Nobody gripes about Don Hansen when they are putting their players on all region teams. 

dballa

I guess i don't know what a good game is then...i figured with both teams scoring back and forth, defense's making big plays and causing turnovers, the offense's making big plays when needed and HPU coming back with a 93 yd drive to win the game, would constitute a pretty good game to watch? 

Josh Bowerman

They're supposed to be fact-only press releases, etbualum.  Not op-ed pieces.

It did strike me as a bit self-serving for a team that, while 4-0 in the ASC, has won those four games by a combined 17 points.
"Without struggle, there is no progress."--Frederick Douglass

Pat Coleman

Quote from: etbualum on October 08, 2005, 09:24:45 PM
Nobody recognized other teams in the releases about that year.

And that is pretty much par for the course. You don't have to say tri-champs -- most conference treat all champions the same.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

baddog

ETBUalum -- No cheap shot intended. Just the truth.
I don't know what is on the 2003 HSU rings, but here's a quote from an HSU release in August 2004:
"The Cowboys return 16 starters from a team that was tri-champions of the American Southwest Conference last season. HSU was 8-2 a year ago."
Says "tri-champions," doesn't it? So don't give me that "everybody does it" garbage.

Not really a bad dog. Just misunderstood!

Josh Bowerman

Good God--how bad is Macalester?  Losing 33-0 at the half to a team that has already played a game today!

And to think I thought NW would be tired in this game and the Scots would have a chance! 

Sheesh, me thinks that game is about to get a whole lot uglier.

sethhpu

I am going to agree with dballa, the UMHB vs HPU was a great game. Of course it wasn't a great game for UMHB they lost. I expected more from UMHB than what I saw during the game. UMHB was more effective running straight at HPU, which they got away from then the option attack, and couldn't really throw the ball at all. UMHB had one pass thrown that would have been an HPU td but was dropped by a HPU DB. UMHB had a chance to put the game away on HPU's 7 with 1:15 left to go but couldn't convert, field goal was an option in that situation also. I don't think there defense is as good as HSU's but I'm sure things will be different for that game. HPU played a great game and I just hope they play like this for the entire season.
Defense wins championships

dsc

Quote from: Josh Bowerman on October 08, 2005, 09:41:36 PM
how bad is Macalester?  Losing 33-0 at the half to a team that has already played a game today!

Josh, can you (or anyone) explain to me what went on with the "double-header"...NW, Macalester, et al?

Same team play both games...like an "A" and "B" team or what?  Why would they do that?  etc...
HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY: AN EDUCATION ENLIGHTENED BY FAITH.

etbualum

The release that D3football gets from ETBU is the same release all the news outlets get.  It is what it is dont read them if you dont like the writing style.  I would bet most SID's submit the same things.  Call it self serving call it what you want.  Last week HSU and UMHB were getting talked about for winning by too much and this week it ETBU for not winning by enough.  I guess you cant win either way.  Nobody is saying we deserved to be ranked or considered with the top teams, just that weve beaten teams each week and gotten better.  Hopefully we will do the same next week.

As a radio broadcaster from Dallas says

At the end of the season its not how its how many.

Baddog  If I had the time I am sure I  could find somewhere that HSU didnt reference it as a tri championship and I could probably find one that ETBU did.  So I guess we will just have to disagree about that one.

Josh Bowerman

Does etbualum's response remind anybody else of the 2003 season?

You know damned well that it was self-serving, etbualum.  Getting by (what is shaping up to be a disappointing) TLU team this year by 1 point for a win to stay in the hunt for the ASC title is one thing.  Touting it like the upset of the year is another. 

If your SID doesn't know the difference between what goes in a press release and what is suitable for editorial consumption, then you need to go find another SID--because they obviously weren't paying attention in Journalism 101.

Ralph Turner

dsc, does the footer on your d3football posts also appear on the posts on  d3hoops message boards? ;D

dsc

RT, I think you know the answer to that!  And I think I know why you are asking... ::)

But this year is going to be so different! ;D

(I didn't check, but I think what we have in the way of "customizing" our sites, appears throughout all the message boards.)

If not so, let me know! :-*
HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY: AN EDUCATION ENLIGHTENED BY FAITH.