Division III Players to Watch list?

Started by Bulldog16, February 11, 2008, 09:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog16

I heard that the list has been published but cannot find it on the web.  I know that last year the list was on the boards.  Anyone seen the list? Can you post it?

rjburke

From Baseball America (1/29/08, will hit news standsnext week, I think):
PLAYERS TO WATCH

ALL-AMERICA TEAM

C—Dale Curry, Sr., Alvernia, Pa. (.366-8-47). 1B—Drew Hedman, Jr., Pomona Pitzer (.389-14-56). 2B—Ricky Angel, Sr., Illinois Wesleyan (.452-10-54). 3B—Derek David, McMurray (.390-7-61, 24 2B). SS—Jonas Fester, Sr., Johns Hopkins (.405-5-51, 22 SB). OF—Hunter Owen, Jr., Millsaps (.404-11-70, 21 SB); Mark Blakely, Sr., Augustana, Ill. (.448-10-35, 20 SB); Bryan Burke, Sr., Kean, N.J. (.426-3-34, 27 SB at Frostburg State). DH—Kendall Fox, Texas-Tyler (.452-1-21, 11 SB). UT—Kurt Yacko, Jr., Chapman, Calif. (.389-6-46, 10 SB; 5-1, 1.74, 10 SV.

P—Matt Aronson, Jr., Illinois Wesleyan (8-0, 0.85); Shawn Gilblair, Jr., Eastern Connecticut State (.396-6-52; 11-2, 2.26); Adam Samson, Sr., Wooster, Ohio (11-0, 1.61, 76 SO/78 IP).

TOP PROSPECTS, 2008 DRAFT
1. Blake Booher, rhp, Texas-Tyler
2. Garrett Nix, rhp, Wisconsin-Stevens Point
3. Drew Mandelblatt, of, Pomona Pitzer (Calif.)

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Bulldog16 on February 11, 2008, 09:04:38 PM
I heard that the list has been published but cannot find it on the web.  I know that last year the list was on the boards.  Anyone seen the list? Can you post it?

I posted it last year but it is a very long list.

Spence

Quote from: rjburke on February 12, 2008, 12:07:47 AM
From Baseball America (1/29/08, will hit news standsnext week, I think):
PLAYERS TO WATCH

ALL-AMERICA TEAM

C—Dale Curry, Sr., Alvernia, Pa. (.366-8-47). 1B—Drew Hedman, Jr., Pomona Pitzer (.389-14-56). 2B—Ricky Angel, Sr., Illinois Wesleyan (.452-10-54). 3B—Derek David, McMurray (.390-7-61, 24 2B). SS—Jonas Fester, Sr., Johns Hopkins (.405-5-51, 22 SB). OF—Hunter Owen, Jr., Millsaps (.404-11-70, 21 SB); Mark Blakely, Sr., Augustana, Ill. (.448-10-35, 20 SB); Bryan Burke, Sr., Kean, N.J. (.426-3-34, 27 SB at Frostburg State). DH—Kendall Fox, Texas-Tyler (.452-1-21, 11 SB). UT—Kurt Yacko, Jr., Chapman, Calif. (.389-6-46, 10 SB; 5-1, 1.74, 10 SV.

P—Matt Aronson, Jr., Illinois Wesleyan (8-0, 0.85); Shawn Gilblair, Jr., Eastern Connecticut State (.396-6-52; 11-2, 2.26); Adam Samson, Sr., Wooster, Ohio (11-0, 1.61, 76 SO/78 IP).

TOP PROSPECTS, 2008 DRAFT
1. Blake Booher, rhp, Texas-Tyler
2. Garrett Nix, rhp, Wisconsin-Stevens Point
3. Drew Mandelblatt, of, Pomona Pitzer (Calif.)

How many of these players has anyone from Baseball America seen? In particular I'm wondering why none of the so-called top prospects are in the all-america team, and at least one isn't even his team's ace.

Just_Some_Guy

I've seen Hedman, David, Fox, Yacko, Booher, and Mandleblatt.

I'm nto sure if the Mandleblatt thing is a misprint or not because Pomona Pitzer has Zachary Mandleblatt that plays OF and pitches. He had a good year last year, but I wouldn't think he's projectable at the next level. Hedman can flat out swing the stick. I think he's a better hitter than Mooneyham that got drafted from Chapman a couple of years back.

As for Booher not being the number one, Campbell is just a lot more polished. To be completely honest, I don't recall that much about Booher. I thought he and Brett Holland were very similar pitchers. I think both throw harder than Campbell though.

I don't know. I know a good baseball player when I see one, but I won't pretend that I can necessarily predict projectability at the next level unless it's a given.

I don't think Fox or David would project at the next level - and Yacko reminds me of Tyler's Nate Jennings last year, but with less velocity. He's such a max effort guy I don't know how his frame holds up at the next level, particularly after Chapman uses him in every game this year... lol

JSG

rjburke

The Collegiate Baseball Newspaper list is huge and came out in January. This list was mentioned on another thread earlier this year.

My guess is Baseball America's people haven't seen as many games as the guys on d3baseball have. But that's why this site is here and valuable. Still, there is a high correlation between their team and d3baseball's.

My son says I should make it crystal clear that my postings are not from him. While I thought I had said so earlier, my son played for Frostburgh last year and plays for Kean this year. I am obviously very proud of him, his ability, and accomplishments. Ralph previously defined success as a parent as how quickly and effectively we embarass our kids. I guess I am, right now, a very successful parent!

Jim Dixon

Quote from: rjburke on February 12, 2008, 11:53:55 AM
The Collegiate Baseball Newspaper list is huge and came out in January. This list was mentioned on another thread earlier this year.

My guess is Baseball America's people haven't seen as many games as the guys on d3baseball have. But that's why this site is here and valuable. Still, there is a high correlation between their team and d3baseball's.

It is my understanding that the CB players to watch list are players that coaches forward and everyone gets printed. 

The D3baseball.com All-American list selection process starts with folks who had earned a regional All-American spot in a previous year.  This means a freshman getting on the preseason team is unlikely.

I am not sure how BA makes their selections.

NCWC

Jim, how many d3 juniors were drafted last year?
16 USA South/ Dixie Conference titles, 12 Regional titles, 2  World Series titles

Jim Dixon

Quote from: NCWC on February 12, 2008, 04:50:50 PM
Jim, how many d3 juniors were drafted last year?

Four (I think): Zimmerman, Lutz, Pecora, and Gomez.  Caveat:  I am going by memory.

players drafted: http://www.d3baseball.com/notables/2007/06/08/D-III%27s+final+tally+hits+19+draftees

Jim Dixon

Apparently not a good memory at that.

okay 5 out of 19 drafted were Juniors. 

I see to think there was an underclass man drafted a few years ago from one of the SCIAC schools

Just_Some_Guy

Add Jacob Kaase SS from TLU to that list. He was a junior last year.

A junior with three ASC conference championship rings.

JSG

NCWC

Now another tough one, who didnt sign?  Should they be on a watch list?
16 USA South/ Dixie Conference titles, 12 Regional titles, 2  World Series titles

Jim Dixon

Quote from: NCWC on February 13, 2008, 02:11:36 AM
Now another tough one, who didnt sign?  Should they be on a watch list?

Jacob Kaase signed with the rangers - http://www.tlu.edu/news?newsid=1113

A.G.

I've seen some random releases about players being named to a "D3 Preseason Watch List" by the ABCA?  Where is this list, as I would be interested to see what players we follow are on the list?  If someone has access and can post it, that would be great.