2014 NCAA Tournament

Started by gobash83, November 14, 2014, 03:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wchandy22

Quote from: 2xfaux on November 18, 2014, 06:02:21 PM
Hopefully the weather cooperates.   

The forecast this weekend in Grantham looks better than last weekend.  Regardless, the field is in great condition and I believe we are set to see three exciting games featuring four solid teams.

Saturday -- Sunshine mixing with clouds and not as cold, high of 43

Sunday -- Some sun, then turning cloudy with periods of rain late in the afternoon, high of 52
Nature was my kindergarten

2xfaux

What a great bunch of games on Sunday.  PKs, OT, and two 1-0 results, it doesn't get much better than that.  Lynchburg and Williams have both been here before and would seem to be the favorites but Hopkins and IWU are both very solid as well.  I hope the weather in Kansas City plays along.

Purplegatorade

I would echo faux.  The games this weekend were great.  A lot of hard fought well deserved victories.

Something to think about with this Final Four.  3 At Large Births. 2 teams ranked #1 in their regions and more tidbits below:

Lynchburg: AQ NSCAA #1 #1 in South Atlantic Region ODAC (#28 Bennett Conference Rank)
IWU: At Large NSCAA NR(Receiving Votes) #5 Central Region CCIW (#5 Conference Rank)
Johns Hopkins: At Large NSCAA  #20 #3 Mid Atlantic Region Centennial Conference (#7 Bennett Conference Rank)
Williams: At Large NSCAA #5 #1 New England Region NESCAC (#3 Bennett Conference Rank)

CrusaderNation

With all due respect to all of the teams involved in the Final Four I would be amazed if Lynchburg does go somewhat comfortably through to the National Championship.  I commented in the Elite Eight I thought the winner of Mess v Lynch would be the title holder and I think that is still going to ring true.

HOWEVER, if there is an upset I would go with Williams sneaking it out for the title.... either way should be a fun weekend!

Purplegatorade

Crusader, I would be very interested on an in-depth view on why you feel this way.  Are you basing this upon seeing the teams play, or solely based upon stats and other 3rd party objectives?  I will agree that Illinois Wesleyan University is the odd team out in Final Four, but they have played against some very good teams.

CrusaderNation

I've had the chance to see Lynchburg, JHU & Illinois Wesleyan play either live or on video.  I've not seen Williams play, but, know a great deal about their players, coach and history.  So, my opinion is based on those things.  Of course it is just my opinion, but, the attacking presence that Lynchburg brings would appear to be very difficult for IWU or JHU to deal with defensively.  Thus, that is why I feel the way I do.

But, who knows what will happen.... afterall it's soccer! 

Ocean 1

Sharing a recent post made on the NESCAC site for my 2 cents about Williams v. JHU:

If we believe the Massey Ratings, Williams has a win pobability of 53% v. 32% for JHU in a match-up. Williams defense/offense is rated #1 / #5 v. #15 / #7 respectively for JHU.

Goals/game and shot percentage are pretty even (Williams at 2.64/.124 and JHU at 2.65/.144) while both have outstanding scorers in Kirshe/Thomas (Williams) and Kroniker/Teng (JHU). GAA average is 0.44 (Williams) v. 0.64 (JHU).

I think in this game both teams can score. But with the #1 top-rated defense, a strength-of-schedule rating of #1 as a differentiator and the motivation to reverse last year's JHU result...I'll go with the old motto that 'defense wins championships' and align with the smart money and take Williams in a victory.

2xfaux

The Massey/Bennett stuff aside (I think they both thought Wash U. was the team to beat), I think the Williams v Hopkins game will be a good one.  I imagine a physical game with perhaps a couple of yellows.  I think the team that keeps it's composure will win and I think that will be Williams.  I wish IWU good luck but Lynchburg will be tough.  Good coaches (and these are all good coaches) find weaknesses to exploit but you would be hard pressed to find a weakness in Lynchburg.  They are really solid front to back and have depth to support it everywhere. So, I expect a Williams v Lynchburg final and no matter what happens we will have a first time D3 Women's Champion which will be very exciting.

Ocean 1

Quote from: 2xfaux on December 02, 2014, 03:32:12 PM
The Massey/Bennett stuff aside (I think they both thought Wash U. was the team to beat), I think the Williams v Hopkins game will be a good one.  I imagine a physical game with perhaps a couple of yellows.  I think the team that keeps it's composure will win and I think that will be Williams.  I wish IWU good luck but Lynchburg will be tough.  Good coaches (and these are all good coaches) find weaknesses to exploit but you would be hard pressed to find a weakness in Lynchburg.  They are really solid front to back and have depth to support it everywhere. So, I expect a Williams v Lynchburg final and no matter what happens we will have a first time D3 Women's Champion which will be very exciting.

Well said 2xfaux!!!

Ocean 1

Congraulations to the Lady Ephs last evening...knocking-off JHU in dramatic fashion and advancing to the title game today. The stats weren't pretty but the defensive performance and result was!

Best of luck in bringing home the first Women's Soccer National Championship to both Williams and to New England later today!!

nescac1

Congrats to the Ephs!  Once again, Audrey Thomas comes through ... third straight game-winner for her, really clutch (apparently, she had a second goal disallowed on what sounded like a controversial offsides call).  Not their usual all-out assault on the goal, but impressive to keep JHU off the board and they made the shots they did take count.  No doubt, it's tough to turn around from a very tough game that ended past 10:00 and play at 6:30 today, so the Ephs' impressive depth (which is all the more impressive considering that two key players suffered season-ending knee injuries mid-season) will need to be a factor tonight. 

For the first time all season, Williams will be the underdog tonight.  Lynchburg's statistics are scary ... undefeated this year, 48-2-1 over the past two years, and their top two players, both senior all-Americans, combined for 58 (!) goals on the season, which is pretty insane.  Granted, they play in a much weaker conference than NESCAC, but they have played well vs. the best in D3 -- they beat Johns Hopkins in a non-conference tilt, and of course went toe-to-toe with Messiah for the tie in the NCAA quarterfinals (and that was playing without Bosco, their top player and a fifth-year senior), not to mention impressive wins over IWU and Montclair State.  It's tempting to say that whoever wins the battle of Kirshe / Thomas vs. Dupuy/Bosco will come out on top today, but I have a feeling a key goal will come at the foot of someone from outside the big four.   One thing is for sure: the Ephs will have to bring their A game if they hope to knock off the Lynchburg juggernaut!  Hopefully finally playing as the underdog will take a bit of the pressure off. 

Just for this, I say the Ephs deserve the title: http://ephsports.williams.edu/sports/wsoc/2014-15/releases/201412041wvblm.  Go Ephs! 

Purplegatorade

If last nights matches were any indication the final today will be great.  Lynchburg took a punch to the mouth :19 seconds in from a team many didn't give a prayer to be in the game.  Lynchburg responded well.  It did help their cause their first goal was a bit of a gift.

It will be interesting to see if Williams takes a page from the IWU playbook.  IWU did well of denying Lynchburg their bread for the majority of the game.  I think Williams will present a different set of problems for Lynchburg. I think Williams takes the title with a 2-1 win.

2xfaux

I missed the IWU goal but I am sure it staggered Lynchburg.  I did see most of the rest of the game.  I am not sure that Bosco's goal was a "gift", although the play by play guy seemed to think so.  The field was, I imagine, still very wet and Bosco was there and made a great shot from a very severe angle.  The IWU defense did a great job, as you said, of disrupting Lynchburg's attack.  If Williams can get an early goal, as they did last night against Hopkins, Lynchburg could be in trouble.  It will be fun to watch.

Ocean 1

Quote from: 2xfaux on December 06, 2014, 01:30:25 PM
I missed the IWU goal but I am sure it staggered Lynchburg.  I did see most of the rest of the game.  I am not sure that Bosco's goal was a "gift", although the play by play guy seemed to think so.  The field was, I imagine, still very wet and Bosco was there and made a great shot from a very severe angle.  The IWU defense did a great job, as you said, of disrupting Lynchburg's attack.  If Williams can get an early goal, as they did last night against Hopkins, Lynchburg could be in trouble.  It will be fun to watch.

Agree that Bosco's goal was not a 'gift'. That was an insane goal by her from what looked liked a severe and crazy angle from the extreme right side of the goal post and net. I watched it twice with the replay and it was simply an unbelievable shot that was spot-on. I asked myself..."how did she do that"?

If Lynchburg gives Williams as much space as they did IWU, the Williams possession game will be a challenge for Lynchburg.

Here's hoping the Ephs bring the trophy home to New England!

CrusaderNation

Half my prediction is complete with Lynchburg and Williams advancing to the final.  Still holding firm with champion prediction of Lynchburg... even with slow starts feel there is just too much fire power... but love to see Williams pull the upset too.  2-0 final prediction