FB: Empire 8

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fisheralum91

bombers--- i understand what you are saying.
however the same could be said about many other teams- thats all

fisheralum91

ddnt mean to look too much into it----i like seeing fisher named in a national conversation-- just want it all roses!

Pat Coleman

I'm not going to officially speak for Keith on this because I don't have nearly enough knowledge to do so, but I think you can also make a distinction as follows: when he says "this year's St. John Fisher team" it's not only what the players on the field have done in 2008 but it may also encompass what the 2008 players have done in previous years.

In the grand scheme of things, yes, not many teams have accomplished anything in 2008 aside from MUC, UWW, UMHB, etc. But every team has players from 2007 and earlier on it. What did those players accomplish in 2007 and earlier, or, how much did they contribute to the team's earlier success? In the preseason, that's what we have to go on -- who's back and what have they done? If Keith doesn't feel the players on this year's team have shown him much then that may be why he said what he said.

I'll flag him down for you and see if he has time to come by and elaborate.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

gobombers15

I'm fine with preseason rankings at this level for the very reason that playoffs do determine everything. However, I have a problem with preseason rankings in D1 because, ultimately, the polls are part of the BCS rankings. That leads to teams like Auburn getting screwed after going undefeated and playing in the country's top conference.
A 2004 graduate of the "almighty legendary" Ithaca College. Goooooo Bombers.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: gobombers15 on September 18, 2008, 01:13:24 PM
I'm fine with preseason rankings at this level for the very reason that playoffs do determine everything. However, I have a problem with preseason rankings in D1 because, ultimately, the polls are part of the BCS rankings. That leads to teams like Auburn getting screwed after going undefeated and playing in the country's top conference.

Yea but doesnt the BCS poll only count after a certain week where we all agree the polls should be anyway?

fisheralum91

again--Pat im not trying to make a big deal out of this---but again many teams havent shown much and have had personnell changes----just saw the alma mater there and cringed.
thats all
keith isnt out of bounds---nor am i

gobombers15

Quote from: Jonny Utah on September 18, 2008, 01:16:21 PM

Yea but doesnt the BCS poll only count after a certain week where we all agree the polls should be anyway?

They do, but the unranked or lower ranked (15-25) are at a distinct disadvantage since the higher ranked teams can lose an early game and still be ahead of those other teams. If I remember correctly, Auburn started that season ranked in the high teens or low 20's and were left out in favor of a one-loss Oklahoma team who started the season ranked #1 or #2. The point is that, more times than not, the polls will continue to reflect that opening poll and it can be difficult for the unranked/lower-ranked teams to vault those teams starting at the top of the poll.
A 2004 graduate of the "almighty legendary" Ithaca College. Goooooo Bombers.

realistic

Quote from: fisheralum91 on September 18, 2008, 01:25:28 PM
again--Pat im not trying to make a big deal out of this---but again many teams havent shown much and have had personnell changes----just saw the alma mater there and cringed.
thats all
keith isnt out of bounds---nor am i

I think you could probably take it the other way too though.  He needed an example of a team who maybe has hit a level he's looking for yet, and used SJFC as an example not to slam them but because people in Texas, Califfornia, Oregon, Iowa, etc would recognize their success in the past few seasons on a national level.

fisheralum91

fisheralum91

on a different subject-- i dont know about the other fisher guys- but this Rochester game gives me the willies---just like it does every year

no matter what the rankings or standings say-- this game is always close and this one may be too close

Jonny Utah

Quote from: gobombers15 on September 18, 2008, 01:28:41 PM
Quote from: Jonny Utah on September 18, 2008, 01:16:21 PM

They do, but the unranked or lower ranked (15-25) are at a distinct disadvantage since the higher ranked teams can lose an early game and still be ahead of those other teams. If I remember correctly, Auburn started that season ranked in the high teens or low 20's and were left out in favor of a one-loss Oklahoma team who started the season ranked #1 or #2. The point is that, more times than not, the polls will continue to reflect that opening poll and it can be difficult for the unranked/lower-ranked teams to vault those teams starting at the top of the poll.

yea I see what your saying.  But you also see bigger drops in the polls in losses earlier in the season than you might later in the season.  But it is probably also harder to gain spots earlier in the season as well for a team like Auburn that year.

Looks like Georgia might have been hurt by that system last year a little too.

Ethelred the Unready

Quote from: fisheralum91 on September 18, 2008, 01:45:49 PM
on a different subject-- i dont know about the other fisher guys- but this Rochester game gives me the willies---just like it does every year

no matter what the rankings or standings say-- this game is always close and this one may be too close

Regardless of the outcome, the Courage Bowl is a great idea.  Seems like it could be done in other places as well.  That being said.....Go 'Jackets! 
"Your mind is on vacation but your mouth is working overtime" - Mose Allison

fisheralum91

killing me ethel

great concept and am glad they are doin it

dewcrew88

Fisher wins the Courage Bowl by two touchdowns. Although, like FA91 said, it's a little disconcerting if you are a Fisher fan to see a starting offensive linemen quit in the middle of the season....

fisheralum91

the game is a great thing guys-- and yes dew---that did make my nose twitch---- but as most fisher alums do-  you get to know Gary through the teddi project-- a dance marathon that raises funds for the kids at camp good days----and it tugs at your heartsrtings and makes you realize how blessed we all are.
enjoy the evening all-
Mr and Mrs Fa91 are goin on a mini vacation and need some r and r so enjoy the games-- ill check in on a rare occasion--GO FISHER!