WBB: American Rivers Conference

Started by J 2 The Brizo, February 09, 2005, 10:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bird Dog

Season starts with BV and Wartburg having already played the eighth and ninth rated teams in the D3 hoops ratings.  BV lost to Washington U. (9th) 95 to 72 and Wartburg loses to Wisconsin Whitewater 65 to 55.

Coe plays in the Illinois Wesleyan tournament Nov. 24 and 25. They play Illinois Wesleyan (#5) and then either DePauw (#4) or Washington U. (#9).  It appears to me that Illinois Wesleyan wants to play the lowly Kohawks (#21) as an easy game to get into their championship game. 

mark_reichert

Quote from: Bird Dog on November 18, 2012, 05:31:53 PM
Coe plays in the Illinois Wesleyan tournament Nov. 24 and 25. They play Illinois Wesleyan (#5) and then either DePauw (#4) or Washington U. (#9).  It appears to me that Illinois Wesleyan wants to play the lowly Kohawks (#21) as an easy game to get into their championship game.

It appears to me that you've haven't looked at the history of the Tip Off Tournament of which Illinois Wesleyan, Washington U., and Depauw are rotating hosts.  The host ALWAYS plays the fourth team invited on the first day.  The exception is when they can't get a fourth team like two years ago at Depauw when they played each other in three games over three days.

Congrats to Coe for getting into the NCAA tournament the last two years and having close losses to Final Four bound teams.

Bird Dog

Thank you for the insight on the tournaments scheduling.  Now can you do something about getting video for the game?  It appears only the championship game is going to be streamed.  In retrospect it is probably a good thing they are not being streamed.  Issy wants to go pheasant hunting this afternoon and I've got other things on the list.

doolittledog

UD moves to 2-1 on the season with a 63-60 win over Martin Luther at the UW-Stout Turkey Shootout. 

Kohawk Krazy

Kohawks played tough today against a great team.  Not too bad of a performance with the reigning IIAC MVP on the bench and Coe's leading scorer this year with 17 per game not playing. Hopefully they will be back soon.

doolittledog

UD now 7-1 on the year with an 88-47 win over Blackburn College.  18 players scored for Dubuque.  Can't wait for conference games to get started. 

Bird Dog

I stated earlier that I thought Coe would be the team to beat this year.  Coe is now 5 and 4, last in the IIAC.  The injury bug has hit Mary Halverson and Kayla Waskow. Waskow is back and I hope Halverson can come back this year.  Looking at who they lost to Illinois Wesleyan #4, and Washington #9 at the time. Wesleyan has dropped out of the top twenty five but Washington has moved up to #4. 

Having said that I think Coe will be near the top of the IIAC at the end of the season.  Conference play begins Jan. 5.

What is going on at Cornell? They received 55 points the hightest not rated team in the latest ratings while number 25 has 70 points.   Didn't mention them above but they also beat Coe.

Didn't look at the other teams but noticed Simpson is in Daytona Beach, Florida and Coe is in Las Vegas, Nevada over the holidays.  Those should be some nice trips especially if they win.

Would like a detailed report on the Simpson trip to Daytona, but I don't expect to hear much about the Coe women's trip because what happens in Vegas usually stays in Vegas.

5 Words or Less

Wow!  All IIAC teams over 0.500 AND the world didn't end!

Quote from:  IIAC 2012-13 Women's Basketball standings as of 12/22/12

Simpson (14/13) 9-0
Loras (RV/--) 9-1
Dubuque (RV/--) 8-1
Luther 8-3
Central 6-3
Wartburg 6-3
Buena Vista 7-4
Coe 5-4

doolittledog

Quote from: 5 Words or Less on December 22, 2012, 08:55:55 AM

Quote from:  IIAC 2012-13 Women's Basketball standings as of 12/22/12

Simpson (14/13) 9-0
Loras (RV/--) 9-1
Dubuque (RV/--) 8-1
Luther 8-3
Central 6-3
Wartburg 6-3
Buena Vista 7-4
Coe 5-4

Good thing the world didn't end...I'm expecting some good basketball to be played yet this season.  I'm also anxious to see if this is the year UD steps up to be among the elite in the conference. 

Bird Dog

Quote from: 5 Words or Less on December 22, 2012, 08:55:55 AM

I believe that it was DBQ1965 that told us months ago that world was not going to end.  I stopped worrying then. 

doolittledog

Dubuque beats UW-River Falls 77-57 to win their own Holiday tourney.  Simpson beat UW-River falls 67-62 back on the 15th of December.  That means absolutely nothing other than I am ready for the conference portion of the schedule to get started. 

Bird Dog

Fourteenth rated Simpson loses to ninth rated Amherst a 60 to 62.  Kate Nielsen scores 35 points playing 33 minutes.  It appears that Simpson will be playing starters more minutes than in the past. 

Bird Dog

Conference openers at the half:

Simpson 30 @ BV 24
Loras     25 @ Luther 24
Central  16  @ Coe 25
Dubuque 37 @ Wart 38

Bird Dog

Finals

Simpson 62   @  BV 50

Loras 54       @  Luther 63

Central 39    @  Coe 46

Dubuque 73  @ Wart 78

Home cooking worked for 3 of the 4 teams with only BV having indigestion.

Coe looked very bad against Central.  Central behind by 9 at half got Coe out of sync and forced turnovers, despite having several starters sitting in foul trouble.  Game was closer than seven points indicate.  Coe lucky to win.

Congrats to U.D.'s Mollie Whiting on scoring 37 pts.

Wed 1-9-13 6:00 P.M.

Central @  Wartburg

Loras   @  BV

Simpson @ Luther

DUBUQUE @ COE  Doolittledog Map Quest says its only 45 min. to CR.  I'm sure you could make it in 30 with a tail wind and law enforcement eating supper. 

doolittledog

I took my daughters to the UD/Wartburg game today.  Molly Whiting had a career day, unfortunately for UD Wartburg had a better day and won 78-73. 
The Wartburg announcer reported at halftime that Simpson was leading the Storm 30-24 which got a chuckle out of me.

If UD/Coe was a weekend game I would be there for sure.  We were there last year but unlikely during a weeknight, but we will see.