FB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formerd3db

miaafbfan:
You are correct - complaining about officiating doesn't help ;).  However, there is nothing wrong about disagreeing with an official's call during a game and letting them know about it, nor is it inappropriate to ask them to watch for certain aspects that are felt to be overlooked or missed.  Coaches would not be doing their job if they didn't (and, of course, the fans are entitled to this as well as we all acknowledge).  Also, I wasn't complaining about this in my post but rather commenting and relating opinion on observations on what occurred during the game. ;)

Agree with you on the Albion/Alma game being a good one.  I will have to go with Albion since they are at home, and Alma historically has had the same "jinx" there as Hope.  Yet not impossible for them to beat Albion.  Once again, I hope the weather is nice and not a factor for either team. 

I pick Hope over TSU.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

formerd3db

Pat:

Am I reading this wrong or what? ???  The Stagg Bowl info on your website relates that the game is Sat December 18th.  In looking at this year's calender (at least the one I have for 2005), Saturday's date is December 17th.  What goes?  I am planning on attending the Stagg again this year with some colleagues and don't want to hit the wrong day/date!  ::)
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

formerd3db

Pat:
Click on your Stagg Bowl link, then go to the schedule for Thur thru Sat.  That must be from last year as 2004 game was on Sat. Dec 18th!

bizrizzo

wlcalum

to partly answer your question about the officials being reprimanded, i am pretty sure that each coach fills out paperwork for each ref crew for each game.  how much clout those reviews of the stripes holds w/ conference big whigs--i don't know, but from the looks of it, no changes have been made.

i remember as a captain talking to the refs quite a bit concerning calling penalites, and while you may be bugging the crap out them, they at least know what to look for.

i'm going to the wlc/olivet game this weekend, and will be quite surprised to see more than 2 holding penalites against them the whole game.  i'll even keep track.

hopefully the boys can right this ship before season is done. its gonna have to be a real solid performance on our part just to have a chance.

oh yea, i pick albion
If you're not wasted, the day is!!--6th man credo

Pat Coleman

formerd3db, that site is not part of D3football.com. I can't control the Stagg Bowl's web site. Take a look at the address at the top of the page in question, please...
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

wlcalum

bizriz
Will see you at the game. Going to the feed after the game? You know the lasagna will be good. The Cheerleaders really know how to feed the boys. Last home game for the Seniors - hope they do step it up and put on a good show.

formerd3db

albionmascot and wlcalum:

Not to "beat a dead horse", however, I'll comment on the officiating issue per our discussion only one more time.  First, albionmascot, as I made it perfectly clear in my post, I was not insinuating whatsoever that the officiating had anything to do with the outcome of the game - it did not.  As you nicely reviewed, Hope did not play well to win at all; Albion is to be commended for a solid win and effort.  However, again, I'm merely pointing out the deficiency in the quality of officiating (as has some of our other posters) which has declined in the past 2-3 years as I stated.

You are correct that officials are human - that's obvious.  Yet, I would disagree with you that it is incorrect to say that some officials, on some occassions do favor a team.  When coaching staffs (or players) start questioning their calls, that human nature does take over at times unfortunately, and they start looking for any small thing to call against that certain team - even if it is borderline or questionable.  It does happen - we've all seen it many times.  Does not make it right, nor am I suggesting that officials (at least the majority of officials I believe) deliberatly make a call that would without question give the outcome of a game to a particular team.  All I'm pointing out is that it does occur where officiating will be rather vindictive against teams in some occasions, and not giving them the benefit of doubt in questionable calls where that would have been done in other situations.  Again, unfortunately, that does occur.

WLcalum, with regard to officiating reviews, I believe that is correct.  Yet also agree with you that I think most coaches, while making some comments, will not stoop to attempting to ban officials unless there is a major issure with calls (or miscalls) causing a safety concern as has been pointed out, or perhaps allowing unsportsmanlike conduct (including language) to get out of hand.  Most of the coaches (at least those I know), realize that anyone (including us fans ;)) get caught up in the emotion of the moment during the game and something that appears very horrible at that time, in reviewing it is not so bad.  On the other hand, as I mentioned, it is not inappropriate to question (or yes complain) about blatently poor officiating.  But, again, congrats to your Albion team and good luck against Alma this weekend (although for other reasons, I'll have to root for Alma! :o )  

Anyway, the bottom line is it is a human activity and some mistakes and misjudgements are always going to be made.  Until "instant reply" comes to DIII (which is unlikely ever, although not impossible so we'll avoid saying never ;)), this will always be a part of the game.  Sorry for this dissertation; I'll get off my soapbox [for] now! ;D

Wlcalum - one more thing.  Sorry, but I'll have to pick Olivet over your team this week; also Adrian as my other pick.

formerd3db

Pat:
After sending my last post, I assumed that you did not have control over the Stagg website, but rather just posted what they would send out.  My apologies if it appeared I was complaining against you - I was not, nor never intended it to be that way.  But rather I appreciate you providing us with that info; it is a great service.  Thus, it appears the Stagg people have just not updated that particular page for this year yet - most of their other pages and info appear updated for this year already.  Anyway, thanks for the follow-up.  The game is definately Sat Dec 17th this year! ;)

formerd3db

Clarification:
In reply #142, the congrats on the Albion win at the end of my paragraph to wlcalum was obviously intended for albionmascot, although I was directing the entire discussion to both of you! ::)

Pat Coleman

Quote from: formerd3db on October 31, 2005, 09:21:22 AM
Pat:
After sending my last post, I assumed that you did not have control over the Stagg website, but rather just posted what they would send out.  My apologies if it appeared I was complaining against you - I was not, nor never intended it to be that way.  But rather I appreciate you providing us with that info; it is a great service.  Thus, it appears the Stagg people have just not updated that particular page for this year yet - most of their other pages and info appear updated for this year already.  Anyway, thanks for the follow-up.  The game is definately Sat Dec 17th this year! ;)

Right, but just to be clear, what I'm saying is I do not even run that site. It's their site, odaconline.com. I can't post what they would send out because said page is not on my server. They run the site, they write it, they design it, they post what they want. When you leave d3hoops/d3football/d3sports.com I no longer have control.

formerd3db

wlcalum

Had some time on my hands - probably too much!!

Adrian wins out they are 5-2
Hope wins out they are 5-2
Olivet wins out they are 5-2
Who goes on?

On the other hand...
Albion wins 1 and losses 1 they are 5-2
Alma wins 1 and losses 1 they are 5-2
Adrian as above is also 5-2
Who goes on?

Albion and Alma hold the keys - whomever wins out - wins it all.

My picks later this week.

formerd3db

wlcalum:
I seem to have that same time situation today too!  I don't have time right now to really figure this out, but will just make a quick general comment.  In the scenarios you present, it obviously will come down to the tiebreaker system regarding points scored against each other.  Hope crushed Adrian, but lost to Olivet by 7, and Adrian lost to Olivet by 6.  So would Hope go?

Perhaps someone else can take the few minutes to evalute the scenarios you gave and let us know what might occur.  The other one, probably can't be worked out until the scores of the games to take place are known.  You are right that if either Albion or Alma win out, they go.  One thing I'm sure of is that no second place MIAA team will get in the playoffs with 2 losses - there are too many other better teams in other regions that would have 2 losses the NCAA would chose from.

wlcalum

I agree fd3db - there will not be two teams from the MIAA that go on. I pray, that whoever does go on, will represent well with a couple of wins. It is time to get off our 0-for slide.