MBB: Great Northeast Athletic Conference

Started by Hoops Fan, December 17, 2004, 12:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whyDiii

Quote from: falcons2010 on November 29, 2016, 12:16:53 PM
Falcons back in action tonight; first home game for Albertus this year. They host Suny Old Westbury who went to NCAA last year as the skyline conference champions but are currently 0-3. Not sure who returned from last year. I would think Albertus wins tonight. Hopefully we see either Ellis or Jones tonight; both would be great.

Looking forward to seeing Jaleel Bell matchup against some talent that Albertus presents. Ellis should be fun to watch alongside Walters if and when he gets back to full strength.

Saint-Paul

Game update.  With 19 minutes to play in the second half, the Saints getting blown out at home by Mt Ida, 50 - 25.  Saints defense looking a lot like Swiss cheese.  will give details when final horn sounds.

Saint-Paul

Mt Ida gets second win of the season with a 92 - 56 thrashing of the Emmanuel Saints on the Saints home court.  Mt Ida's foot speed and athleticism was too much for the Saints as the Saint defenders continued to get beat off the dribble all night long.  Saints zone defense appeared full of holes as Mt Ida scored 60 of their 92 points in the paint.  Saints patented full court press gave Mt Ida uncontested layups and a 22 point halftime lead.  Second half was much of the same as the Saints never closed within 25 points of the lead.

7express

Quote from: falcons2010 on November 29, 2016, 12:16:53 PM
Falcons back in action tonight; first home game for Albertus this year. They host Suny Old Westbury who went to NCAA last year as the skyline conference champions but are currently 0-3. Not sure who returned from last year. I would think Albertus wins tonight. Hopefully we see either Ellis or Jones tonight; both would be great.

I know Jamail Stanley was one of the returnee's, averaged something ridiculous like 24 or 25 points per game.  You can have a 1 person show like that in the Skyline against crap teams, but I don't think they have secondary or depth scoring to knock out the Falcons.

And also Falcons, yes I do have Green-Younger for the whole year, but I can drop him at any point I believe.  Didn't start the game prior to Thanksgiving, but still scored like 11 or 12 points off the bench with a couple 3 pointers.  Really, that's all I need from him, he was my last pick and the second to last overall, so really anything more than that is gravy, lol.

lildave678

Albertus gets the win 83-71 behind a red-hot performance from Devin Coleman. He drained six 3's en route to a game high 29 points.

Any word on Jones and Ellis? It had been a week since the last game and still no sign of them. Now the schedule ramps up (in terms of volume) into the winter break.

D3HoopJunkie

Hi Guys,

Been away from the board for a few days because I got logged off of my account on my home computer and could not remember my password for the life of me!

I was at the game last night. It was a bit of a sloppy effort by the Falcons overall. They did not play particularly well but it was still good enough to win against a Westbury team that in my opinion was not very strong. Not to mention, Jamail Stanley did not play in this game. I think he was being disciplined for something because he was in uniform and took part in warm ups but once the game started he was at the end of the bench and did even get up for team huddles at time outs. He looked very disinterested in what was going on.

As for the Falcons, they are still trying to find there way, and with only 3 games played all things considered I think they are doing a damn good job. Again it has been sloppy but we have freshman contributing serious minutes who are still very lost while out on the floor. Somewhat poking there way through the offense trying to get to the right spots on the floor. But as I said I think the freshman that have played really look like players. Green Younger is an outstanding shooter who has more flash and handle to his game then I initially had thought. Damian Grant has the potential to be an All American by the time he graduates. He needs to get stronger with the ball and finish above the rim, not just at the rim. This will come in time as his body thickens out and he grows accustomed to the college games.

Still no Mason Jones or Grant Ellis as of yet. I have a feeling the both of them will be back on Saturday against Johnson and Wales. Jones had the brace off of his wrist last night and Ellis was still in street clothes but he looked healthier this time around. They may even be back on Thursday for our first conference game against Emmanuel.

With a healthy and full sqaud this team by the second half could be very lethal. No one is going to talk about them because we are in the GNAC and lost to Babson by 20 and so on and on and on. Who cares! I think this team could be the most balanced we have ever had once we get everybody back.

Not to mention what I heard in the stands last night. Oliver has a kid coming in for the 2nd half of the season who will totally transform this team even more. Supposedly a 6'10 PF/C is joining the team for the second half. I am not sure if the guy that was talking about him is an alumnus of Albertus or contributes to the athletics program at all but the way he was talking about it I would consider it to be a very reliable source. He described him as a freak athlete who has the ability to change the game at both ends of the floor. Can't wait to see what happends with this team. Should be a fun and exciting year.

7Express - Pick up Mason Jones right away before somebody else does. Trust me on this! He will be a household name by the end of the season. Broken wrist in preseason has sidelined him to this date. JUCO All American who from what I am hearing may be the best scorer that Oliver has ever had at Albertus.

D3HoopJunkie

Also,

I don't want to look ahead of Emmanuel on Thursday but I cant wait for Saturdays game with JWU. I really hope Jones and Ellis are back. Last year JWU and Coach Benton in their first matchup of the season really ran it up on the Falcons. This is hands down the biggest rivalry in the GNAC. It really goes without saying and there have been some heated exchanges over the years between players and at times even a few interesting exchanges between Coach Oliver and Coach Benton. And let me also say that I am totally not that guy who thinks everyone should get a trophy and all that crap. I think if a team is winning big and the Coach wants to keep guys in to work on things and what not then thats fine by me. But Benton and the Wildcats last year blatantly ran up the score. Putting up dunks on the fast break, shooting 3's from long distance and so on. Not pulling his starters until a minute left to play and when Senior Tom Garrick almost hurt himself with over 3 minutes to play.

But what I will tell Coach Benton is be careful what you wish for. Oliver has always slowed the game down and controls his teams when they were up well into the double digits with more than enough time left in the game. I understand emotions were high and I'm sure Benton and JWU were sick and tired of being second fiddle to the Falcons for the last 5 years but I guarantee you that Oliver and the returners back on this team did not forget about this game.

If Jones and Ellis are playing it could be very ugly for the 0-3 Wildcats.

Saint-Paul

It is really possible that this is the worst defensive team that Emmanuel has put on the court in the last ten years.  Giving up 92 points at home to Mt Ida, that offensive juggernaut who only won 6 conference games last year, is not a confidence builder going into the Albertus game.  If Mt Ida can score 60 points in the paint what is an athletic team like Albertus going to do ?  This could be another 50 point loss that Emmanuel is famous for.  Let's see if the Saints come out full court pressing Albertus?

7express

Junkie,

I'm in the mold of once you get to college, high school, hell maybe even middle school sports let them play.  If you don't want guys dunking in a 40 point game, don't take bad shots which lead to long rebounds and outlets and get back on D.  If you don't want the opponent dancing in your end zone for the 10th time stop them and keep them out of the end zone.  I know, I'm a scrooge, LOL.

lildave678

I hope both Ellis and Jones play tonight to get them some game action before the JWU matchup. Give the team a chance to get used to them being out there. JWU is still good enough where a disruption in chemistry could cost us on the road.

D3HoopJunkie

Quote from: 7express on November 30, 2016, 11:52:09 PM
Junkie,

I'm in the mold of once you get to college, high school, hell maybe even middle school sports let them play.  If you don't want guys dunking in a 40 point game, don't take bad shots which lead to long rebounds and outlets and get back on D.  If you don't want the opponent dancing in your end zone for the 10th time stop them and keep them out of the end zone.  I know, I'm a scrooge, LOL.

Beleive Me 7 I am right there with you in this thinking but there comes a point in every game where it simply goes to far. When your point is made and the thrashing is over. I just brought it up because again I know Oliver and the returning players have not forgotten about this game. I know it will be in the back of their heads.

whyDiii

Congrats to Ana Maria on their first win of the year. A very young squad, with high potential in the coming years! Freshman Mike Rapoza continues to put up numbers as he lead the way with 24&20. Kid is a force on the block and is on pace for some staggering double double records.

D3HoopJunkie

Really interesting game last night between the Falcons and the Saints.

To recap quickly, the Saints came out of the gate hot and actually played quite well until Albertus went on a monstrous run that allowed them to take a 20 point lead into the half. It looked like this one was clearly over as the Falcons were dialed in from long range and had a relatively easy time breaking the pressure throughout the 1st half that Emmanuel tried to apply.

However once the 2nd half started it was a complete 360 degree turnaround for the Falcons. They came out extremely flat and allowed the Saints to get right back into the game. Getting as close as 4 points if I recall. They turned the ball over, did not get back on defense and gave up a ton of offensive rebounds in critical situations when the Saints were going on there run. Not to mention the turnovers from the Emmanuel press and the poor free throw shooting. Ultimately we finished the game on a run of our own and closed it out in what looks to be convincing fashion on the scoreboard, but if you were there live, there was nothing convincing about it.

I was a little bit concerned about the 2nd half play but we also need to remember that this young team in the early season is still finding their way. They jumped out to that big lead and I think they all thought they were just going to coast through the 2nd half. Young teams don't necessarily know how to go for the "juggler" if you will and shut the door on your opponent. Instead, they let them back into the game and a better team perhaps would have capitalized even more on the numerous second half mistakes.

Update on Grant Ellis and Mason Jones. Ellis was still in a sweat suite so I have no idea at this point on when his possible return may be. Mason Jones was in full uniform for the first time this season and looked like he was ready to play. Obviously he did not but I have a feeling he is going to be back very soon. I have to say to the naked eye, Grant Ellis looks perfectly fine? Im puzzled because he doesn't appear to have a physical injury. Unless whatever sickness he may have had really wiped him out or something?

In my opinion we could see Jones play on Saturday up at Johnson and Wales. As for Ellis, at this point I have no idea on when he is going to return.

Saint-Paul

thanks very much for the recap of the Saints game with Albertus.  I did not see the game and only looked at the box score.  The Saints appear to have a bad habit this year of giving up a lot of points in the first half of games and then trying to dig themselves out of a hole.  Once the other team has a big lead and puts all their subs into the game, then the Saints start their comeback.  The other thing that I really noticed about this years Saints team is that they over compensate their help defense in the lane and give up a lot of open 3 point shots out on the perimeter.  Good 3 point shooting teams are going to give the Saints trouble this year.

Saint-Paul

Final score Lasell 77 - Emmanuel  67.  This was a back and forth game of mini runs, with 11 ties and lead changes.  After dominating the first 8 minutes of the game Lasell looked frustrated when Emmanuel used their wild, out of control fast break style of play to get back into the game and take a brief lead with two minutes left in the first half.  Lasell got caught up in the Emmanuel running game, taking a lot of off balance, forced shots, early in the shot clock.  The game continued that way until, with about 5 minutes left in the game the Lasell coach called timeouts on two consecutive possessions to slow things down and run a deliberate play.  The coaching strategy worked and Lasell was able to turn an 8 point deficit into a 10 point lead over the last 5 minutes of the game, an 18 point swing in favor of Lasell. 
   The strange thing about this game was Emmanuel did not use their patented full court press against Lasell.  They use it against everyone else but not against the one team that does not have a true point guard.  It looked like Lasell was using their shooting guard to bring the ball upcourt, and run their offense.  The one game Emmaneul should have pressed they did not.  They allowed Lasell's shooting guard to bring the ball upcourt without pressure.