East Region Playoff Discussion

Started by pg04, November 10, 2006, 11:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Rossi

Using the predicted SoS and QW/QL listings, here is how I would line up the board for each region:

South: 1) Hampden-Sydney; 2) Hardin-Simmons; 3) Ursinus (Using Reg. Rankings and assuming Salisbury goes through Pool B)

North: 1) Wheaton; 2) Ohio Northern; 3) Illinois Wesleyan (or Wittenberg/Trine if a loss occurs)

East: 1) Rowan; 2) Montclair; 3) Springfield (I know the first two are troublesome, but the Committee may use the "last quarter of the season" principle to justify this ordering over the head-to-head in Week 2)

West: 1) Bethel; 2) Redlands; 3) Coe (Based on the "better" quality loss Bethel had)

And when they go to picking:

1) Wheaton
2) Hampden-Sydney
3) Ohio Northern
4) Hardin-Simmons
5) Bethel
6) Rowan

K-Mack

Good look Frank.

I'm trying not to look at the above because I want to do the same thing and see if I come up with the same six.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

PBR...

Quote from: Frank Rossi on November 10, 2010, 11:42:05 PM
Using the predicted SoS and QW/QL listings, here is how I would line up the board for each region:

South: 1) Hampden-Sydney; 2) Hardin-Simmons; 3) Ursinus (Using Reg. Rankings and assuming Salisbury goes through Pool B)

North: 1) Wheaton; 2) Ohio Northern; 3) Illinois Wesleyan (or Wittenberg/Trine if a loss occurs)

East: 1) Rowan; 2) Montclair; 3) Springfield (I know the first two are troublesome, but the Committee may use the "last quarter of the season" principle to justify this ordering over the head-to-head in Week 2)

West: 1) Bethel; 2) Redlands; 3) Coe (Based on the "better" quality loss Bethel had)

1) Wheaton
2) Hampden-Sydney
3) Ohio Northern
4) Hardin-Simmons
5) Bethel
6) Rowan

if verifies...ouch for montclair fans

rams1102

Quote from: PBR... on November 11, 2010, 08:06:17 AM
Quote from: Frank Rossi on November 10, 2010, 11:42:05 PM

1) Wheaton
2) Hampden-Sydney
3) Ohio Northern
4) Hardin-Simmons
5) Bethel
6) Rowan

if verifies...ouch for montclair fans

You can't fight politics, all you can do is take care of business this Saturday and let the cards fall where they may. I will reserve my comments until then. I hope the NCAA does the right thing. Time will tell.  ::)
It ain't over till it's over, and when you get to the fork in the road, take it.

skunks_sidekick

Politics?  So looking at all the analysis, what makes anyone think that the 3rd team in the NJAC deserves to be in before...........pick one?

I think we are talking about frog hair between certain teams........SHOULD a 9-1 team get shut out from the play-offs?  Probably not, but they are getting shut out (if it happens) by OTHER 9-1 teams.  It's hard to imagine/calculate/determine who/what/where. 

I know if it were my team, I would be raising all kinds of hell about being screwed. 

pg04

Quote from: skunks_sidekick on November 11, 2010, 10:38:13 PM
Politics?  So looking at all the analysis, what makes anyone think that the 3rd team in the NJAC deserves to be in before...........pick one?

I think we are talking about frog hair between certain teams........SHOULD a 9-1 team get shut out from the play-offs?  Probably not, but they are getting shut out (if it happens) by OTHER 9-1 teams.  It's hard to imagine/calculate/determine who/what/where. 

I know if it were my team, I would be raising all kinds of hell about being screwed. 

The point is Montclair beat Rowan, the team that would get in ahead of them.  In many people's mind, Head to head is much more important than some mathematically computed number. 

skunks_sidekick

Quote from: pg04 on November 11, 2010, 10:43:18 PM

The point is Montclair beat Rowan, the team that would get in ahead of them.  In many people's mind, Head to head is much more important than some mathematically computed number. 

Ohhh....crap!  DUH!  As a Montclair fan, that would drive me completely insane!

pg04

It'll be interesting to see how the NCAA handles this situation. 

JT

Quote from: skunks_sidekick on November 11, 2010, 10:46:38 PM

Then Rowan beat Cortland. Cortland beat Montclair.  

pg04

Quote from: JT on November 11, 2010, 10:49:46 PM

In logical situations and tiebreakers, the team that won the head to head would go. 

JT

Quote from: pg04 on November 11, 2010, 10:54:59 PM
Quote from: JT on November 11, 2010, 10:49:46 PM

In logical situations and tiebreakers, the team that won the head to head would go. 

I think the team that beat the team that beat the team, is most logical.   Montclair didn't take care of business.

pg04

Neither did Rowan when they lost to Montclair.  The most DIRECT comparison we have is the head to head.  In any other situation MSU would win this argument based on their victory over Rowan. 

HScoach

Since no one can decide whether Rowan or Montclair is most deserving to go the playoffs, I'll settle this the same way I do at home when my boys are fighting over something:

YOU'RE DRIVING ME NUTS WITH ALL THIS ARGUING!  SINCE YOU BOTH HAVE ACTED LIKE YOUR 5, YOU BOTH CAN JUST STAY HOME.   ;)

In my mind, the team that gets the AQ gets removed from the equation and then it becomes a head-to-head decision between the 2 teams left. 

I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

rams1102

Everyone is assuming that Cortland won the NJAC. Not so. Saturday must be played out. As  Montclair fan and how things appear to be playing out, yes I'm pissed. >:(
It ain't over till it's over, and when you get to the fork in the road, take it.

dlippiel

Head to Head should always rule out, sorry.