MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(509)Rat

So now that practice has started, who's going to finish second in the NWC this year?

Pinecone_Curtain

Whitworth is D3Hoops.com pre-season #3!   :o :o :o

http://d3hoops.com/notables/2015/10/mens-preseason-no-1

I think they'll be good, but #3 good? They have a lot of questions in the post that need to be answered. They are VERY good and VERY deep at guard though, so maybe they'll throw out a small lineup and just win by running-and-gunning. Seems like until their post play becomes proven, a good team that plays half-court offense with some bigs could beat this team. Guess we will see!

(509)Rat

When I look at the polls it looks like not many of the voters think they will be top 5, but because they got a bunch of 8,9,10 type votes, they ended up with a higher point total than the teams directly behind them. Agree re: big guys. Bishop isn't gonna be ready to play with the big guys on the tournament caliber teams and Sears probably just isn't good enough (judging by the fact that he hasn't seen the court).

Andy Jamison - Walla Walla Wildcat

Seriously though...
WW
WM
L&C
UPS
WILLAMETTE
PACIFIC
GF
PLU
LINFIELD

I would be guessing that 5-9 will be a logjam without a clear cut best #5. The 2-4 should be entertaining. Heard that Linfield brought in a bunch of guards

A Buc Forever

Good list except I'm going with L&C as my #2.

5-8 will be a logjam. Linfield is going to be one of the weakest teams we've seen in the NWC in the last 10 years. Bring Doty back.

Pinecone_Curtain

Quote from: Walla Walla Wildcat on October 25, 2015, 01:41:12 PM
Seriously though...
WW
WM
L&C
UPS
WILLAMETTE
PACIFIC
GF
PLU
LINFIELD

I would be guessing that 5-9 will be a logjam without a clear cut best #5. The 2-4 should be entertaining. Heard that Linfield brought in a bunch of guards

That order looks about right to me. I saw Whitman brought in some studs. Always hard to tell by their press release because every year they make it sound like the greatest class in the history of D3, but this one actually does good. Link: http://athletics.whitman.edu/news/2015/7/14/MBB_0714152535.aspx

(509)Rat

The big guy was "most improved?" So he's a bench player...

For everyone else, they literally just described the same player over and over again, just changing the name.

Whitman press release aka basketball buzzword salad. They will be very good with a whole team of "long" "3 point shooters" who can "get to the basket" and are ultra "athletic," did I mention what a "great teammate" they all are?

(509)Rat

Montana beat Whitworth 83-69. Was tied at 50 with about 13 min left in the game, then Walter Wright took over. Montana went on a 16-0 run, ending up with the 19 pt win. Wright was just too athletic and the Pirates couldn't stop him from getting to the basket and creating (for himself more than others really). Montana will again be one of the top teams in the Big Sky so this seems to be an expected and respectable results from the Pirates. Would have been nice if they could have kept it closer, deeper into the game but this certainly isn't a bad/disappointing result IMO. Looking forward to seeing Whitworth start d3 play. Should be another fun season.

A Buc Forever

From what I read about the game. Montana's guards scored the points but they made their run when their big guy got back in the game after some foul trouble. This pretty much underscores the question of whether the Pirate's front court is strong enough to make them a final four team.  I like the fact that they held their own against a second string D1 post. Hopefully the big guys mature fast and they are ready for league play.

blackhawks4

1.  Whitman
2.  LC
3.  UPS
4. Willamette

#doyoumean3rdinourconferencesaysthewiac #causeithinkthatsastretch

A Buc Forever

Blackhawk,

Are you related to Lloyd Christmas?

smedindy

Saw Whitman yesterday against CWU (I do stats for CWU, can't keep me away from Statscrew). CWU's starting point guard has a knee injury and is in a brace, and his replacement is a senior that plays a bit out of control, and Whitman took advantage of that in the first half.

The Missionaries had a 10-point lead at half and were leading 59-48 with 15 to go. CWU got hot, and then the Whitman big guy, Peter French, fouled out. No one else could really handle Joseph Stroud for CWU inside (he had 20 pts, 10 reb and 8 blocks - French wasn't a force on offense but kept him off the boards when he was in). Still, Whitman was able to penetrate, and hit the boards. They sent the Wildcats to overtime when Chircu hit a three at the buzzer, and lost 98-93.

Christian McDonald had 24 points and 7 boards. He's a fine player that is as good as anyone at his position that I've seen in D2. He reminds me of some of the pesky kids at Seattle Pacific.

I was impressed with Whitman. They remind me a lot of the way Wooster plays except they are quicker than any Wooster team I saw.

I wish I lived closer to the NWC teams. It's kind of a haul from Ellensburg and I have my job (we're building a new advancement site at CWU and I make the data flow...) and the CWU hoop games. But I love D3 hoops (and football) and follow all of you as closely as I can.

PirateDaddy

I was at the Whitworth/Montana game and the reason the game got away from the Bucs was because of Wright's skill and quickness in getting to the rim and not an indictment of the bigs.  Wright is going to be a handful for the Big Sky. He's the real deal.

I was impressed with the progress Sears has made. His post game looks to be much improved and he seems to have learned he has to play defense with his feet more than his hands. Bishop is a load and will provide valuable minutes off the bench. Still, the front court is young so time will tell.

Lastly, before anyone asks due to my username, I don't have a kid on the roster. The handle is a variation of one I use on another board is easy for me to remember!  :)

A Buc Forever

A good start for the Pirates.  Valle is starting the season strong.  Anybody know how good La Verne is?