BB: SCIAC: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple Heys

2017 folks!  Here in SoCal January also denotes the beginning of the beginning of Baseball Season.  Looking forward to another year of fun!
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

Ralph Turner

SRSU opens at UDallas with a 3 game sereis on 02/03 and 02/04 and then goes to the Cactus Classic.
ETBU is at Schreiner
Concordia opens at TLU.

Purple Heys

Being a southern destination, Whittier opens at home with Willamette 2/3 and 2/4 (DH); then Puget Sound 2/5.  Then a week off before getting into SCIAC play with a weekend series Home/Away (DH) with Oxy beginning 2/17

WC will travel to Oregon for 4 games at the end of March.

I am hoping it shapes up to be a wild year in the SCIAC.

Jack Parkman

Nice to see WC going to Oregon for some games.  Cal Lu is headed to PLU for a series as well.  It's very rare for the SCIAC teams to go anywhere other than TX or AZ.

Purple Heys

After going to Texas 2 years ago, WC stayed in SoCal last year.  Hitting the Oregon Trail should be a treat.  Hopefully, no rain.

Skips Soldier

Hey y'all! Skip's Soldier here. New to the boards and excited for the upcoming season.

I'm a big SCIAC Baseball fan, but even a bigger fan of Chapman baseball and what Coach Laverty (or Skip as some of the players call him over there) and the Panthers have in store for 2017. 

The team is looking pretty good even after losing Freshman All American Konnor Zickefoose to D1 UCI and a few of the veteran leaders from last years team like Connor Williams and Christian Gazdar.

The team is expecting both Tyler Cook and John Wiehe to be healthy for the season after missing last year with injuries. Both Wiehe and Cook were All SCIAC players in 2015 and should bring a lot of spark into the Panther offense this season.

The guy with the most upside and potential in the lineup in my opinion is Center Fielder, Conner Larkin, who quit football to focus on baseball and has been taking lessons with MLB stars, Hank Conger and Mark Trumbo's hitting coach. He's a dynamic player that is about to pair his raw athleticism with the fundamentals and technique of honing in his swing.

Skip thought the team was a little too tentative at the plate last year so he implemented a new approach of "hit hit hit" this fall and it is an exciting approach to the season. I fully expect the Panther offense to be electric in 2017 under Skip's wing. 

Ralph Turner

Welcome to the message boards. The SCIAC fans are great group of fans. RJT

SoCalBaseballfan

Quote from: Skips Soldier on January 16, 2017, 01:03:51 PM
Hey y'all! Skip's Soldier here. New to the boards and excited for the upcoming season.

I'm a big SCIAC Baseball fan, but even a bigger fan of Chapman baseball and what Coach Laverty (or Skip as some of the players call him over there) and the Panthers have in store for 2017. 

The team is looking pretty good even after losing Freshman All American Konnor Zickefoose to D1 UCI and a few of the veteran leaders from last years team like Connor Williams and Christian Gazdar.

The team is expecting both Tyler Cook and John Wiehe to be healthy for the season after missing last year with injuries. Both Wiehe and Cook were All SCIAC players in 2015 and should bring a lot of spark into the Panther offense this season.

The guy with the most upside and potential in the lineup in my opinion is Center Fielder, Conner Larkin, who quit football to focus on baseball and has been taking lessons with MLB stars, Hank Conger and Mark Trumbo's hitting coach. He's a dynamic player that is about to pair his raw athleticism with the fundamentals and technique of honing in his swing.

Skip thought the team was a little too tentative at the plate last year so he implemented a new approach of "hit hit hit" this fall and it is an exciting approach to the season. I fully expect the Panther offense to be electric in 2017 under Skip's wing.

Any hopes for Chapman returning to West Regional playoffs in 2017? When is the last time they have been there. After posting under the CrashDavisD3 name for many years I reappear under a new name. Have not closely followed the program in recent years. Watched Chapman play in 4 West Regionals in 5 years and 4 DIII Championship Series in 5 years. I hope the program returns but have seen them fall short in recent years. I wish the best in 2017.

BigPoppa

I miss Chapman as a national power, but it appears that ship sailed when Coach T resigned. He came out OK in the end as he is currently teaching and coaching in Hawaii.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Purple Heys

Chapman has some hitters that's for sure...interesting development for Zickefoose - good for him.  I fully expect them to be in the hunt.

I think the SCIAC is going to be tough this year.  I expect Cal Tech to be more of a threat than ever.

108 Stitches

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: 108 Stitches on January 19, 2017, 06:51:35 PM
Quote from: Purple Heys on January 19, 2017, 12:17:51 PM
I expect Cal Tech to be more of a threat than ever.
At what? Discovering water on Mars?

You got something against Mars having water? :o  Flint Michigan should be so lucky! >:(

Appalachian Mtns

Quote from: 108 Stitches on January 19, 2017, 06:51:35 PM
Quote from: Purple Heys on January 19, 2017, 12:17:51 PM
I expect Cal Tech to be more of a threat than ever.
At what? Discovering water on Mars?

Now, even I have to admit that is pretty funny.  I hope ours do their best, and I hope yours makes it to the show.

Jack Parkman

This is pretty cool for Caltech...

https://twitter.com/caltechbaseball/status/811300842104037376

Not many teams in CA have turf but this will help in the rare occasion it rains.

Appalachian Mtns

I am hearing a roster of over 20 with more arms, which is a step in the right direction.