Liberty League

Started by Pat Cummings, March 01, 2005, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d3d3d3

Bard's D1 transfer hasn't been on the roster for a couple of weeks. Pretty sure he left school. He played five games.

stlawus

After looking at the box score it appears you're right.  I wonder what happened. 

ITH radio

This year's Statesmen squad may actually be better than I thought. 4 straight wins and 13-8 overall, but they go on the road next two games and six of their eight losses are on the road. Skidmore barely beat Hobart last time around. Will be interested to see if the Hobart Hoopmen can keep the win streak going.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

d3d3d3

Hobart definitely is red-hot right now. This weekend is a real test.

The regional rankings are out. SLU at #2, Skid at #8 ...

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d3

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: d3d3d3 on February 08, 2017, 06:14:21 PM
Hobart definitely is red-hot right now. This weekend is a real test.

The regional rankings are out. SLU at #2, Skid at #8 ...

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d3

Skidmore's early season losses have put them in the "win the AQ or they are out" category. Their SOS isn't good enough to get them in at this point. Not if they pick up a seventh loss that would put them in consideration for an at-large bid.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

d3d3d3

Good point. But what if SLU, which lost to Skidmore 83-66 the last time they met, can't get the AQ because they can't beat Skidmore in the LL tournament?

stlawus

Quote from: d3d3d3 on February 09, 2017, 12:57:18 PM
Good point. But what if SLU, which lost to Skidmore 83-66 the last time they met, can't get the AQ because they can't beat Skidmore in the LL tournament?

SLU's going to get an at-large bid.  Very tough non-league SOS with a loss to the then #1 team in the country, who are still ranked in the top 10.  They beat a very good Oswego squad on the road as well.  This reminds me of the 2008-2009 team.  Had a lot of wins like this season but couldn't get past RPI in the regular season or in the LL tourney.  Still ended up in the Sweet 16.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: stlawus on February 09, 2017, 07:07:04 PM

SLU's going to get an at-large bid.  Very tough non-league SOS with a loss to the then #1 team in the country, who are still ranked in the top 10.  They beat a very good Oswego squad on the road as well.  This reminds me of the 2008-2009 team.  Had a lot of wins like this season but couldn't get past RPI in the regular season or in the LL tourney.  Still ended up in the Sweet 16.

SLU is in good shape, but I hardly ever say a team is a lock. Only 4-losses helps, so we are assuming a fifth should they lose in the conference tournament and be in position for an at-large. Their SOS of .534 (as of Sunday; .533 today) isn't bad... it's pretty decent... which will help them stay in the conversation. The problem comes if they lose another game between now and the tournament... adding a sixth loss starts to get dicey. Also, the SOS will probably come down slightly as they finish the season and their early round game(s) in the conference tournament will pull it down as well.

I wouldn't say they will get an at-large bid, but they are in far, Far, FAR, FARRRR better shape than Skidmore who has to win to get in at this point.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 10, 2017, 02:56:28 PM
Quote from: stlawus on February 09, 2017, 07:07:04 PM

SLU is in good shape, but I hardly ever say a team is a lock. Only 4-losses helps, so we are assuming a fifth should they lose in the conference tournament and be in position for an at-large. Their SOS of .534 (as of Sunday; .533 today) isn't bad... it's pretty decent... which will help them stay in the conversation. The problem comes if they lose another game between now and the tournament... adding a sixth loss starts to get dicey. Also, the SOS will probably come down slightly as they finish the season and their early round game(s) in the conference tournament will pull it down as well.

I wouldn't say they will get an at-large bid, but they are in far, Far, FAR, FARRRR better shape than Skidmore who has to win to get in at this point.

The problem will really come if they can't beat Skidmore.  A loss to end the season and then another in the LL tournament could make things a little more difficult.  But it will also depend on how many upsets happen elsewhere.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

stlawus

Last year they split with Skidmore in the regular season with the home team winning both games.  They can beat them, it's just a matter of who shows up to play.

d3d3d3

Skidmore pulled a home win out of their ... hats ... against Hobart last night. They're not playing lights out lately but there's not one team in the league that would look forward to seeing them in a playoff game.

stlawus

Another tough win for SLU against a gritty Clarkson squad tonight in Potsdam.  Played well despite Crawford being out for the game.  Hart was unstoppable as usual and Clarkson couldn't miss from 3.  Edwards stepped up to make the big shots and the team had some clutch free throw shooting in the end.  First time in a loooooong time that SLU sweeps Clarkson.  Now at 20 wins going into a home matchup against Skidmore.  Win or lose I think this team is looking good for an at large bid.

magicman

In checking the box score of Skidmore's win over SLU I was amazed to see how many times it said:
GOOD LAYUP by RUPKUS,EDVINAS(in the paint). I counted them and it was 14 times. That was exactly how many field goals he had. That along with his 14x14 effort from the line gave him 42 points. In addition there were 12 other baskets that said GOOD LAYUP (in the paint).  That's a total of 26 layups good for 52 of the 87 points Skidmore scored. I just thought that was a lot considering that Rupkus only scored 10 points against the Saints when they met in Saratoga. The Thoroughbreds won that game with a barrage of 3 pointers (13 of them) and only scored 22 points in the paint.

Maybe the 3rd time will be the charm for the Saints if they meet again in the LL tournament.

d3d3d3

Playoff pairings set. Hobart at Skidmore, Union at St. Lawrence. Wednesday.

ITH radio

Hopefully 3x a charm for the Statesmen....
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle