BB: NCAC: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by woosterbooster, December 29, 2005, 03:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forheavendial4999

I like the 2011 format better.

I also expect that eventually Wabash will join the HCAC now that DePauw and Rose-Hulman are out of the SCAC.

Bishopleftiesdad

Heaven, why would Wabash leave the NCAC? Depauw is a great rival. Wasn't Wabash in the HCAC before joining the NCAC?

wallyworld12

BishopDad is right. Wabash is NOT going to be leaving the NCAC anytime soon with DePauw joining the conference next year. That would make absolutely no sense at this point. Wabash was in the HCAC, the now defunct ICAC, and was an Independent. There are no signs we are changing conferences any time soon.
"Then once again ye Wabash Men, three cheers for Alma Mater. What'er befall, revered by all may she unequaled stand."

DelawareCityMan

If they go back to the Division format for 2012, I wonder if any thought would be given to re-setting the Divisions.  Instead of East and West, go with Northwest and Southeast.  The Northwest would be Depaw, Wabash, Kenyon, Oberlin, & Hiram, while in the Southeast you would have Wittenberg, Ohio Wesleyan, Denison, Wooster, and Alleghenny.  That would make both Divisions have about the same distance from their farthest two teams so travel would be about equal, and if you look at team strength, it would be a little more balanced, though you'd still have Wooster, Denison, Ohio Wesleyan, and Wittenberg all in the same group, and looking at strength, the other Division's strength would be Wabash, Depaw, and maybe Kenyon/Oberlin.  Extending the season two weeks and going Round-Robin is still the best format for equality.

Bishopleftiesdad

That would be more balanced. You would most likley get the best 4 out of that allignment. Not sure you could get enough schools to agree though. As it is now Wooster is always tops in the east with the second rotating between several teams. That gives tosee teams in the east not named Wooster, at least a shotat the NCAC tourney. Can somebody tell me the reason the NCAC plays their tourney so early. Is the only earlier tourney the UAA.

wally_wabash

Quote from: forheavendial4999 on June 18, 2011, 11:49:02 AM
I like the 2011 format better.

I also expect that eventually Wabash will join the HCAC now that DePauw and Rose-Hulman are out of the SCAC.

I don't think the old ICAC schools that are now the core of the HCAC would have DePauw back even if DePauw begged.  The way DePauw left and blew up what was a really nice intrastate league wasn't exactly graceful.  Besides, I think DePauw has now aligned themselves geographically and philosophically with as close to a group of peer institutions as they are going to find.  It's a good fit...a better fit than the HCAC for sure (which is why they splintered off back in '98 in the first place). 

As for round robins vs. divisions...I would expect the league to return to divisional play, but I do wish they'd get away from the four game weekend series.   It's big boy baseball now...let's play three 9 inning games over the weekends and call it good.  The biggest obstacle with these schedules is that the spring season, is really condensed down, especially with baseball where the league is holding a conference tournament two full weeks before the national tournament, and especially especially with typical Ohio Valley spring weather.  It's a lot of baseball to try and get in anyway, then when you factor in that these kids should probably also go to class and then work around inevitable rain, it's tough to plan on a full round robin. 

I would like to see the league push that conference tournament back...at the very least it provides an extra week to get some postponed games played and on the books. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Bishopleftiesdad

This has alreadybeen mentioned on the NCAC Football board. I will mention it hear for the baseball fans. Welcome to Depauw on their first official day in the NCAC. Happy to have you. Good luck to Jake and his boys. Just not too much.

wally_wabash

This is your 2012 baseball schedule.

A couple of things to notice:

- They are back to divisions as you probably would have guessed. 

- They are calling for the weekend series to consist of one 7-inning game and one 9-inning game...each day.  Huh?  I'm not really sure I get that.  Anybody have a thought on this? 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Bishopleftiesdad

Old eyes did not see the text was a hyper link ::) sorry....

http://www2.northcoast.org/sites/default/files/baseball/Baseball%202012%20-%20divisions%205-11.pdf

Schedule consists of one 7-inning contest and one
9-inning contest each day (first game of day is 7
innings. If first game of the day goes into extra
innings, second game becomes a 7-inning game.)

Looks like it is a double header each day. First game 7 innings second is nine.

fantastic50

Wooster's two home NCAC series are in March ... great.  There's nothing better than watching baseball when there's still piled up.

DelawareCityMan

Have a feeling that there could be some VERY LONG Sunday afternoons being spent at NCAC diamonds.  I like the DH's being 7 and 9, ala OAC Doubleheaders, but just wish we were still doing it in last years' Round Robin format.  With the exception of DePauw and Wabash, who's closest NCAC oppoenents, other than each other, are Witt and OWU, would have to deal with some travel issues, like Allegheny would on the other side of the league, BUT, if a weekday NCAC League DH was allowed, then you could easily free up weekend for that traveling for the farther away contests.  Everyone else is fairly close enough to do the mid-week League contests.  Another aspect would be less overnight expenses for motels and the ability to make-up rainouts the next day if the weather permitted...

Just a few thoughts to improve the league....Though I do like the idea that Wooster is playing ALL their league contests up north and none during their Spring Trip....

Bishopleftiesdad

Like the new format of the site. Will have to get used to it though.

Anyway Kenyon released its 2012 Media guide:

http://teamguides.kenyon.edu/x38526.xml

QuoteEntering the 2012 season, the Kenyon College baseball roster features only two seniors with significant experience on the diamond, but don't mistake the Lords for an untested squad. Several members of the talented rising sophomore and junior classes filled key roles in 2011 and are ready to apply the lessons learned to push Kenyon toward the top of the North Coast Athletic Conference standings.

Bishopleftiesdad

Got to watch some Baseball yesterday. OWU had the Red and Black serires over the weekend. Saturday was rained out. They played 5 3 inning games on Sunday.

Red eeked out the series win. Three games to five. Not sure how the teams were divided up so not sure that that is telling.

Alumni game next weekend.

Any news from any of the other NCAC fall ball?

How did Wooster do against Walsh?

Gramps

Word heard from Heidelberg is that the rains caused the field to be flooded and that "Fall Ball" was cancelled.  Can anyone clarify this for me?  We will be at THE BERG  Oct. 16th for the 2011 Awards Banquet and normally. the last game of Black vs Orange  is played that day. 
I'd also like to know how other teams have done in Fall Ball.  It would give a good insight as to what to expect for the 2012 season.

motorman

Quote from: Gramps on October 05, 2011, 02:10:21 AM
Word heard from Heidelberg is that the rains caused the field to be flooded and that "Fall Ball" was cancelled.  Can anyone clarify this for me?  We will be at THE BERG  Oct. 16th for the 2011 Awards Banquet and normally. the last game of Black vs Orange  is played that day. 
I'd also like to know how other teams have done in Fall Ball.  It would give a good insight as to what to expect for the 2012 season.
Fall Ball not cancelled Gramps, just pushed back a week. Big day on Sunday with 2 9 inning DH's on tap. One squad playing at Adrian and the other playing at Sienna Heights.