BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EttaFan1

Not really a big shock about Wooster when you consider their SOS ranking was 237th.  Scheduling wins didn't impress the committee.  Same can be said for Northern as their SOS ranked 118th(ish).  Sad to see ONU left home, but not making the OAC tournament hurt in more ways than one (Not getting the SOS points, Not getting the chance to win against good competition, not winning it outright, and the perception of not being good enough to make your own conference tourney)....

I've said in years past, the OAC teams need to schedule more difficult opponents on a consistent basis.

Some thoughts about the OAC tournament. 

BW is a dangerous team without a top tier pitcher.  They can swing it a lot.  But their pitching (despite only giving up a 3 run homer in their second loss) was probably the worst of the four teams.  Waite's disappearance from that elite status from the prior year was a big difference in their season this year. 

Berg has two arms and not much else on the staff.  Motorman eluded to this earlier, and I completely agree.  Manner has put up good numbers but he is far from dominant.  He is a good #2 guy though and will make them a tough out in game two of any tournament.  Beyond that, the Berg faithful better hope they can bash their way through a game after game three.  Hendrixson is probably the best pitcher in the OAC.  He is really good.  You would have to feel pretty good about any game he starts being a W. 

Marietta's pitching is so wildly inconsistent it is hard to know what to expect.  Even Herstine had a less than optimal outing in his start in the OAC.  Crowl is effective and solid one day, the next teams hit him quite easily.  Same can be said for many of the other guys on the staff.  One day they are great, the next day they are woefully mediocre.  Fortunately for the Pioneers the bats came alive in a big enough way to get the wins needed (and once they stopped trying to give games away.....Have never seen the likes of outfield errors by a Marietta team.  Very uncharacteristic).

Best of luck to all of the OAC schools as they head into Regional play.

mideastfan2

Piedmont Regional

1. Rhodes
2. Pacific Lutheran
3. Burmingham Southern
4. Marietta
5. Emory
6. Methodist

This is from the Marietta release (http://pioneers.marietta.edu/news/2015/5/11/BB_0511152251.aspx)

Dr. Acula

Hanahan and Doring pick up the OAC special awards.  Hard to argue with either choice.  Both kids had great years. 

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: EttaFan1 on May 11, 2015, 08:11:57 AM
Not really a big shock about Wooster when you consider their SOS ranking was 237th.  Scheduling wins didn't impress the committee.  Same can be said for Northern as their SOS ranked 118th(ish).  Sad to see ONU left home, but not making the OAC tournament hurt in more ways than one (Not getting the SOS points, Not getting the chance to win against good competition, not winning it outright, and the perception of not being good enough to make your own conference tourney)....

I've said in years past, the OAC teams need to schedule more difficult opponents on a consistent basis.

Some thoughts about the OAC tournament. 

BW is a dangerous team without a top tier pitcher.  They can swing it a lot.  But their pitching (despite only giving up a 3 run homer in their second loss) was probably the worst of the four teams.  Waite's disappearance from that elite status from the prior year was a big difference in their season this year. 

Berg has two arms and not much else on the staff.  Motorman eluded to this earlier, and I completely agree.  Manner has put up good numbers but he is far from dominant.  He is a good #2 guy though and will make them a tough out in game two of any tournament.  Beyond that, the Berg faithful better hope they can bash their way through a game after game three.  Hendrixson is probably the best pitcher in the OAC.  He is really good.  You would have to feel pretty good about any game he starts being a W. 

Marietta's pitching is so wildly inconsistent it is hard to know what to expect.  Even Herstine had a less than optimal outing in his start in the OAC.  Crowl is effective and solid one day, the next teams hit him quite easily.  Same can be said for many of the other guys on the staff.  One day they are great, the next day they are woefully mediocre.  Fortunately for the Pioneers the bats came alive in a big enough way to get the wins needed (and once they stopped trying to give games away.....Have never seen the likes of outfield errors by a Marietta team.  Very uncharacteristic).

Best of luck to all of the OAC schools as they head into Regional play.

Well it is easier to have a SOS playing in the OAC, Yes you have Cap, Muskee and Wilm. But then you have Berg, ONU, Matietta, and John Carroll. And some years you can include Mount. I know ONU used to not be on that list but I cannot see them dropping out anytime soon. Your SOS, I believe, and may be wrong, is against teams in your region. So having that lineup in your conference helps. Plus the fact you play round Robin DH. In the NCAC you are stuck with the teams in your division and you play them 16 times. That really hurts your SOS. I agree Wooster did not do themselves any favors. scheduling the likes of North Park, Pitt Bradford, and Olivet. But the way the NCAC is set up it can be hard to get an appropriate SOS. Especially since SOS is calculated against teams in your region:

http://www.d3baseball.com/interactive/faq/ncaaTournament
Strength-of-schedule (only contests versus regional competition).

Not that I thought Wooster would get the nod after the NCAC tourney.

motorman

Someone should be embarrassed by one of the All Mideast Region team posted here. How a senior for a top ten team who went 7-0 in the regular season then almost threw a no hitter in his only regional start didn't even make 3rd team and a junior who was only 6-3 in the regular season and took both his teams losses in the regional made 2nd team is beyond me. The fact that he was last years regional pitcher of the year shouldn't have mattered in the choices this year but I guess they must have.

mideastfan2

Congrats to all OAC guys who made the ABCA all-region team...along with the guys who made the d3baseball.com all-region team.

Especially the Marietta guys; Hanahan, Herstine, and Winpigler!

Mideast - ABCA/Rawlings All-Region Teams
NCAA Div. III Mideast All-Region First Team
Pos.   Player   Cl.   School   State
C   James Weber   Jr.   Mount Union   OH
1B   Jamie Lackner   So.   Wooster   OH
2B   Zach Gray   Sr.   Allegheny   PA
3B   Frank Vance   Sr.   Wooster   OH
3B   Ryan Hanahan   Sr.   Marietta   OH
3B   Jordan Nieman   Sr.   Manchester   IN
SS   Ryan Dorow   So.   Adrian   MI
OF   Michael Fischbach   Jr.   Albion   MI
OF   Grant VanPutten   Sr.   Calvin   MI
OF   Derek Hug   Jr.   Heidelberg   OH
DH   Donovan Pogue   Jr.   Thomas More   KY
UT   Mark Zimmerman   Jr.   Baldwin Wallace   OH
P   Derek Hendrixson   So.   Heidelberg   OH
P   Drew Doring   Sr.   John Carroll   OH

P   Eric Schmidt   Sr.   Adrian   MI

NCAA Div. III Mideast All-Region Second Team
C   Cole Heberling   Sr.   Anderson   IN
C   Aaron Caputo   Jr.   Ohio Wesleyan   OH
1B   Trent Smith   Jr.   Thiel   PA
2B   Bobby Sabatino   Sr.   John Carroll   OH
2B   Cole Nieto   So.   Baldwin Wallace   OH

3B   Kyle Smith   Sr.   Washington & Jefferson   PA
SS   Mike Castro   Sr.   Bluffton   OH
OF   Jake Dunn   Sr.   Kenyon   OH
OF   Christian Verde   Sr.   Heidelberg   OH
OF   Jeff Gertley   Jr.   Adrian   MI
OF   Dan Belliveau   Sr.   Ohio Northern   OH
OF   Jake Craft   Sr.   Anderson   IN
DH   Devin Van Winkle   So.   Ohio Wesleyan   OH
UT   Matt Elko   Jr.   Thiel   PA
P   Karson Nixon   Jr.   Rose Hulman   IN
P   Christian Herstine   Jr.   Marietta   OH
P   Riley Groves   So.   Washington & Jefferson   PA
P   Brian Resnik   Jr.   Waynesburg   PA
P   Adam Manner   Sr.   Heidelberg   OH
P   Tyler Ferguson   Sr.   La Roche   PA
P   Michael Houdek   So.   Wooster   OH
P   Kevin Zullo   Fr.   Ohio Weleyan   OH

NCAA Div. III Mideast All-Region Third Team
C   Chris Winpigler   Sr.   Marietta   OH
1B   Cory Podvasnik   Sr.   La Roche   PA
1B   Tailur Szarenski   So.   Manchester   IN
1B   Jake Simmerman   Jr.   Otterbein   OH
3B   Joe Killian   Jr.   Allegheny   PA
SS   John McLain   Sr.   Wooster   OH
OF   Jameson Brock   Sr.   Franklin   IN
OF   John Watson   Sr.   La Roche   PA
P   Jack Herzing   So.   Penn State Behrend   PA
P   Jordan Frayer   Jr.   Adrian   MI
P   Ben Yoder   Jr.   Anderson   IN
P   Tanner Wilt   Sr.   La Roche   PA
P   Jake Shields   Jr.   Case Western Reserve   OH

Mideast Region Position Player of the Year: Jamie Lackner, Wooster
Mideast Region Pitcher of the Year: Drew Doring, John Carroll

motorman

At least they got it right and included Adam Manner on the 2nd team.

Dr. Acula

Mount has posted 5 straight winning seasons in OAC play.  They've gone 44-28 the last 5 seasons.  The last time they had 5 straight winning seasons in conference play was 50 years ago when they had 6 straight in 1960-1965.  Normally I wouldn't applaud just having a winning record as noteworthy, but with the level of play in the OAC of late I am actually pretty impressed with that fact.  That is not easy to do in this conference.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: motorman on May 20, 2015, 07:12:24 PM
At least they got it right and included Adam Manner on the 2nd team.

Probably was nominated. Certainly helps.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: motorman on May 18, 2015, 04:15:49 PM
Someone should be embarrassed by one of the All Mideast Region team posted here. How a senior for a top ten team who went 7-0 in the regular season then almost threw a no hitter in his only regional start didn't even make 3rd team and a junior who was only 6-3 in the regular season and took both his teams losses in the regional made 2nd team is beyond me. The fact that he was last years regional pitcher of the year shouldn't have mattered in the choices this year but I guess they must have.
My "shoot from the hip wisecrack" (because I don't know any of the particulars)?

Jim Dixon sends multiple messages to the SIDs of the schools to nominate players for the All-Region teams

He believes that the SIDs have the best knowledge of what is really happening at the institution.

The D3 platform is well-known encouraging SID's to use D3football/hoops/baseball/soccer/hockey.com to get the message out for their programs.

Pat Coleman

We don't do soccer anymore, Ralph ...
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

My bad....

Thanks

(Wow!  Thanks for your "labor of love", and your lovely bride!)

Dr. Acula

Checked out the Great Lakes stats and saw that Ott's Simmerman was having a great summer.  He's 2nd in the league with a .395 average and also top 10 in RBI.  I also saw BW's Nieto in the top 10 for RBI.  ONU's Eltzroth has made 2 starts and had no record with a 3.00 ERA.

Bishopleftiesdad

I do not think Eltzroth is still on the team. I belive he went home a little while ago.

Sir Battlescars

Just heard Hendrixson transferred from Heidelberg to Wright State on a full ride scholarship. That stinks for Heidelberg, but good for everyone else... I guess.

2014 NCAC Football Pick 'Em Champion!!