FB: Northwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildcat'64

Much better results yesterday than a year ago at Carroll.  That being said, the Cats have a lot of work to do between Week 1 and Week 2.  They clearly have great potential and the question will be how quickly can they get up to that potential.  Redlands will be a huge test but Defenses win championships and games.  Our Defense  looks tough and I doubt seriously Redlands will put up a lop sided score against the Cats.
LEAVE NO DOUBT

CalCat

Good to get the first one especially on a long road trip against a worthy opponent. Cats got it done with a W and that's what we needed. We have had recently some first game struggles even when we won so nice job grinding it out taking care of business. That trip is now in the rear view mirror and focus now turns to Redlands. Cleaning up unnecessary penalties that  were there against Rowan is a must. I've been exposed to Redlands football since average home price  in Southern California was $11,200. I know it's only two games but l think this is one of their better looking teams out of the gate. I feel Redlands is a top 25 team and wouldn't be surprised if they crack that this week.  I don't get a vote but what the hell l vote for them top 25.  QB Martinez reads and runs the spread ROP and will be the best QB Cats face regular season other than Erickson at Whitworth.  He is a smaller quick guy that runs like a deer and must be accounted for as a potential runner every down. He obviously reads what is going on in the box and reacts accordingly. If it's 3rd and 3 or 4 and he doesn't read his hot open he doesn't hesitate he takes off and you pay. First two games Redlands 3rd down conversions 71%. Cats against Rowan were 36% on 3rd conversions. That has to change dramatically or it will be a long night for Cats. Freshman Mason Carvalo for Redlands was 16/134 off of Martinez reads against UPS nicely complementing Martinez's passing numbers. Linfield defense has to disrupt Martinez with pressure when he wants to go to the air and keep his escapes to a minimum. Linfield has  got to keep working the running game with Johnson and Earhart both quality guys. If o-line gets it done with run blocking Redlands will be in trouble. I could see this game being one of the best between the two programs easily decided between turnovers and penalties.  If in SoCal area this is one not to miss. I got this one as a toss up.
CalCat

Wildcat'64

According to MHB stats from yesterday Nnoli did not get any rushing yards.....wonder what happened if he made the squad or is injured?  Any insights??
LEAVE NO DOUBT

MonroviaCat

Quote from: Wildcat'64 on September 15, 2019, 01:27:38 PM
According to MHB stats from yesterday Nnoli did not get any rushing yards.....wonder what happened if he made the squad or is injured?  Any insights??
Guy on the ASW board said he has been nursing a leg injury I believe...
Go Cats!

D O.C.

The score and the win feel good.
I'm not so bothered by the early encroachment penalties.
There were more than one guy flagged a couple times on a play. If we're going to be quick on defense....
The personal fouls from recent years seemed under control. That's positive.

We'll root for Rowan to finish high in the NJAC for the selfish reason of the NCAA ratings on November.

Redlands will be primed at home.  We're a target that surely has been on the coach's calendar. They win, we win NWC, they'll get us at home again later.
We play all hearts out, we shall break their back again.

Looking forward to seeing folks at the game.

MUC57

Gongrats to the cats and the very best on the rest of the year. Go get 'em!  8-)  ;D
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

CamCat

Quote from: Wildcat'64 on September 15, 2019, 01:14:25 PM
Much better results yesterday than a year ago at Carroll.  That being said, the Cats have a lot of work to do between Week 1 and Week 2.  They clearly have great potential and the question will be how quickly can they get up to that potential.  Redlands will be a huge test but Defenses win championships and games.  Our Defense  looks tough and I doubt seriously Redlands will put up a lop sided score against the Cats.

What an encouraging first game of the season.  They only have to travel 1000 miles to Redlands so lets hope they don't let down next week. This will be a very tough game and maybe the best Redands team we have ever played.. Wildcat 64 you've got connections so let me know who  I should talk to hook the team up with a Kangen water distributor in  Redlands who will share water with the team to give them an edge in the game.  www.BeEnergized.Biz. for further info.
"Football isn't a contact sport, it's a collision sport. Dancing is a contact sport."
Duffy Daugherty

Andy Jamison

Who frickin' cares about a guy who left Linfield to transfer to a school so he could play for a national championship and help his "NFL" aspirations?  I mean seriously... who frickin' cares?  Dude is a traitor to everything for which our program stands.

Andy Jamison

Solid start to the year heading cross country to play early in the day against a solid program... we don't go up against that type of size very often during the regular season.  Next week is going to be a challenge for sure... Go Cats!

D O.C.

Andy... sure Southern Oregon feels the same.  ;D

MonroviaCat

Quote from: Andy Jamison on September 15, 2019, 10:32:33 PM
Who frickin' cares about a guy who left Linfield to transfer to a school so he could play for a national championship and help his "NFL" aspirations?  I mean seriously... who frickin' cares?  Dude is a traitor to everything for which our program stands.
Not that you care...   ;D
Go Cats!

DanDalzell

Lots of good comments about JV programs.  If you have a large number of players in your program, then it just makes sense that you get them opportunities for some live action.  The players love this chance to play and I know that their parents really like it to.  George Fox typically has 120-130 players in their program (I believe it's 121 this year) and only about 63-65 are on what they call the "travel roster".  These same players are the ones getting varsity reps at any home game too, most likely. So, without the JV games, nearly half of the players in the program would not get to play.  Linfield probably has similar program numbers and likewise provides the chance for more kids to get into live action through JV games.

Not sure how it is other places, but JV games at Fox are always on Sundays and the varsity is all supposed to be there to support their teammates. It's always a great experience for these players and their families.

Andy Jamison - Walla Walla Wildcat

In the early 90's while I was a freshman at Linfield we played several JV games against Willamette. I can remember really looking forward to the JV games.

I've always felt that having a solid JV program would be very beneficial to any program as it gives players an opportunity to put the skills learned during practice into action on the field.  Playing a game against an opponent is very different than playing against your own team.  You can go "game speed" against your own guys but it is simply different than when you go "live" against a different team. 

I'm somewhat surprised that Linfield, Fox, and Pacific haven't arranged a JV round robin where they play each other twice during the season as that would give them 4 games.  With the low numbers at LC and Willamette they don't have the bodies for JV programs. 

I do understand that there are real costs involved.  You have to pay the officials which is going to be several hundred dollars per game.  Then you have to take the players and coaches away from practice which if you are starting to install the gameplan for the upcoming Saturday may be problematic.  I think the other issue has simply been a lack of numbers of the big guys up front. 

HSUCowboy2015

Quote from: Andy Jamison - Walla Walla Wildcat on September 18, 2019, 11:23:26 AM
In the early 90's while I was a freshman at Linfield we played several JV games against Willamette. I can remember really looking forward to the JV games.

I've always felt that having a solid JV program would be very beneficial to any program as it gives players an opportunity to put the skills learned during practice into action on the field.  Playing a game against an opponent is very different than playing against your own team.  You can go "game speed" against your own guys but it is simply different than when you go "live" against a different team. 

I'm somewhat surprised that Linfield, Fox, and Pacific haven't arranged a JV round robin where they play each other twice during the season as that would give them 4 games.  With the low numbers at LC and Willamette they don't have the bodies for JV programs. 

I do understand that there are real costs involved.  You have to pay the officials which is going to be several hundred dollars per game.  Then you have to take the players and coaches away from practice which if you are starting to install the gameplan for the upcoming Saturday may be problematic.  I think the other issue has simply been a lack of numbers of the big guys up front.

Kind of just stumbled upon this conversation, and just wanted to add what Hardin-Simmons does down here in Texas. We have a "JV" program which we call our development squad or "devo". They play games on Monday nights, which works best because that's when our Varsity team gets the day off which usually just means treatments and meetings. This doesn't really take away much from game planning for Saturdays. But we also rotate guys every series which can be frustrating, but it gets everyone game reps and hopefully development. I'm surprised teams in the Northwest don't already have something like this in place especially how close everyone is together up there.
Stay Purple

George Thompson

Quote from: D O.C. on September 16, 2019, 01:01:56 AM
Andy... sure Southern Oregon feels the same.  ;D
D.O.C.,  I will be at the Redlands game, wearing a bright red Linfield t-shirt, with the small 2004 National Championship on it.     May have a USC or Linfield baseball cap on.     I will be the oldest person in the stadium.    My pretty blond wife and son and D-L will be with me.

Hopefully I will meet you.

George
GO CATS! GO!