BB: NESCAC: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 10:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Vaughn

Agreed on the focus...to commit 8 errors that is a serious downward spiral.  At that point infielders are dreading the next ground ball and pitchers start to try to strike everyone out because they don't trust the defense behind them. 

I think it is important to see WHEN errors are made.  Those errors cannot be compoued by walks.  That's where Trinity's solid staff comes in.  Trin made 3 on the infield in the last two innings, but got out of it because Conor OSP was great.  The one knock on them last year was their defense but they made the plays when it counted.  I wouldn't be shocked if Coach Decker has his boys refocused defensively and doing the same thing again this year.

d3baseballnut

Dude-

I had no idea Bayer's numbers were as good as they are. He has been unhittable.....literally.

I would not burn him on Westfield state. Although that also allows you to use him again later in the tournament, he is your ticket to get past USM in the second round.....

ECSUalum

Yes, walks on top of errors are a killer, however Trinity pitching staff has a good walk to strikeout  ratio, so good control around the plate.  Some of the lower quality teams in the LEC really got into trouble with poor control, a lot of walks, and a poor fielding % to boot.  This is a recipe for disaster.

I agree, when an infielder loses confidence, it can be bad for the pitcher on the mound, especially if the infielder in the ss and 2b slots. Pitcher can start to try to be too fine re pitch  placement, which results in base on balls.  Additionally, it is a blessing if your pitching staff are good defensively, as they can help themselves alot and prevent a lot of "pain" re unearned runs.

I don't know about in the NESCAC, but at least in the LEC, there seemed to be A LOT of hit batsmen this year vs prior years!!  Not good from baserunner standpoint and safety to players!!!

By the way, were the Trinity Bantams hoping they had been shipped out to the NY regional?  I think if they had been and if seeded #1, which was IMO a shoe in,  they would have rifled through the NY Reg. straight to Grand Chute WI.  Courtland St, which is ususally the only really strong team, was having a down year in 2009.

Rick Vaughn

Trin would have liked to head to NY and face weaker comp.  That said they are happy to be staying at home and are confident that they can win the region no matter where they were sent.

Rick Vaughn

All NESCAC Team are out:

http://nescac.com/sports/bsb/2008-09/honors/allconference

Too much love: Benz (2nd team better fit), Bowdoin on the 2nd team (too many guys)

Not enough love: Hamilton hitters (Choate & Mayberry), Taylor Mikell (compare him to the Bowdoin underclassmen who were recognized), Andrew Janiga (only Bayer and Foster had better #'s), Tufts (just one player recognized)

ECSUalum

Quote from: Rick Vaughn on May 14, 2009, 03:50:35 PM
Trin would have liked to head to NY and face weaker comp.  That said they are happy to be staying at home and are confident that they can win the region no matter where they were sent.

Thats the confidence that comes with being the National Champs!!!!

ECSUalum

Just saw Coach Decker interview after the victory over USM.
Now there is a class act!!!  Soft spoken, not arrogant like some coaches I know 8)

It seems that Trinity is building on there National Championship with another great team, excellent recruiting and of couse J. Bayer is nasty!!  Got to be a prime candidate for high draft pick next summer.

Congrats to Trinity on a superbly pitched game.  The D was flawless!!

Rick Vaughn

He certainly gets it!

I know DIII players are not ones to leave early, but I could see Bayer being drafted this year.  Also, the defense came to play today.  One game away from sittin pretty.

DougiesGoinDeep

This is actually Bayer's last year of eligibility even though he is considered a junior academically after transferring from Vermont. He should definitely hear his name called in this year's draft though, and Coach Flaherty of USM said of Bayer after the game, "Bayer is the best pitcher I've seen at this level in quite some time." Unbelievable performance by him and Trinity today, hope they can keep it rolling against WPI tonight.

frank uible

I saw Bayer pitch 9 innings this spring. He kept the ball low and threw strikes but gave up 5 hits and 5 walks against a better than average but not great D3 team. If my eyeballs are correct, his maximum velocity was 87-88 mph. His roster height is listed as 6'2" which I believe is a little generous. And of course he plays D3 ball. If his performance on that day was representative of what he can do and if my eyes haven't deceived me, there will be hundreds of high school pitchers  and scores of college pitchers, all eligible for this year's draft, all as tall or taller than he, all capable of throwing with more velocity than he did that day and with respect to the vast majority of those college pitchers having played at a higher level than D3.

NESCAC FAN

Kiely wasn't throwing much harder than 89-90 when I saw him.

I think Bayer will be a late draft pick or minor league signing like Randy Newsom was 6 years ago.

TRhit

To those speaking on Coach Decker

I have known Coach for a number of years and a number of our kids have played for him, Kent Graham is there now, and I have to tell you he is one of the finest gentlemen I have ever met---he is no different in person that what you saw in the interview--I am proud to say I know him

He will be one of our speakers at our seminat this summer

ECSUalum

Quote from: TRhit on May 15, 2009, 07:59:57 PM
To those speaking on Coach Decker

I have known Coach for a number of years and a number of our kids have played for him, Kent Graham is there now, and I have to tell you he is one of the finest gentlemen I have ever met---he is no different in person that what you saw in the interview--I am proud to say I know him

He will be one of our speakers at our seminat this summer

TRhit,

Had a chance to just say hellow to Coach Decker this week.

As I stated earlier, JUST A CLASS ACT ALL THE WAY.  Trinity BB is very very lucky to have such a coach and personality!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone see him going D-I some day? I do.

TRhit

At the present time I do not see him leaving Trinity---he is from the area and has a son in HS , I believe he is a soph---thru history in this region we have not seen many guys move around

Trincoll14

Congrats to Jeremiah Bayer on being names the DIII Pitcher of the Year by D3baseball.com! Also kudos to Sean Killian for being named a First All-American!