FB: Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Adam Sayer, December 24, 2006, 10:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYGrizzly

Quote from: formerd3db on October 07, 2011, 09:11:08 AM
Griz_Backer, KYGrizzly:

I have a question for you (and this is hypothetical, so please don't get mad at me :)): If you knew that it i.e. alchoholic beverages was prohibited, why would you wantonly/blatently disregard that rule/law even by "putting it in a cup"?  I'm sure there are many people who disagree with such rules, however, they, you, or I don't make them (the rules), but you are suggesting it is okay to ignore the policy if it were in place? ???  Just curious. :)

You bring up a good point. I guess the best answer would be "Do as they say not as I do". ;D You really know how to make a guy feel bad don't you. :-[

SaintsFAN

Quote from: KYGrizzly on October 07, 2011, 11:03:38 AM
Griz_Backer, KYGrizzly:

I have a question for you (and this is hypothetical, so please don't get mad at me :)): If you knew that it i.e. alchoholic beverages was prohibited, why would you wantonly/blatently disregard that rule/law even by "putting it in a cup"?  I'm sure there are many people who disagree with such rules, however, they, you, or I don't make them (the rules), but you are suggesting it is okay to ignore the policy if it were in place? ???  Just curious. :)

You bring up a good point. I guess the best answer would be "Do as they say not as I do". ;D You really know how to make a guy feel bad don't you. :-[

"when in Rome..." .... "yes, go ahead"
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

SaintsFAN

Quote from: KYGrizzly on October 07, 2011, 07:38:55 AM
Quote from: Thunder44 on October 06, 2011, 11:11:47 AM
Quote from: panthersfan on October 05, 2011, 11:44:33 AM
Shaping up to be a nice weekend for football.  From what I'm reading Earlham is a dry campus (even for tailgating).  Can anyone confirm that?

I tried doing a little research to answer the dry campus question, but came up blank.  I believe that Earlham is a Quaker institution, so whatever goes along with that may determine what goes for tailgating.  Probably best to have your special pe-game beverages in a plastic cup just to be on the safe side.  Weather still looking to be awesome for football, so it should be a great day all around.

See you Saturday!

Did they change something up at Manchester, never had any problem at the football games drinking out of the can or bottle? The only place I was asked to pour mine out of a can was at MSJ walking from the parking structure to the field even though the MSJ fans were drinking out of a keg right beside me.

Just like Griz-Backer said keeping it in a cup is the best idea, that is what got me through four years of baseball at all the schools.

MSJ does that to teams who are better than they are  ;)  JK, JK... but there is a way around it if you park in the neighborhood --- lets just say the Bridge Bowl is SRO
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)

formerd3db

Quote from: SaintsFAN on October 07, 2011, 11:54:07 AM
Quote from: KYGrizzly on October 07, 2011, 07:38:55 AM
Quote from: Thunder44 on October 06, 2011, 11:11:47 AM
Quote from: panthersfan on October 05, 2011, 11:44:33 AM
Shaping up to be a nice weekend for football.  From what I'm reading Earlham is a dry campus (even for tailgating).  Can anyone confirm that?

I tried doing a little research to answer the dry campus question, but came up blank.  I believe that Earlham is a Quaker institution, so whatever goes along with that may determine what goes for tailgating.  Probably best to have your special pe-game beverages in a plastic cup just to be on the safe side.  Weather still looking to be awesome for football, so it should be a great day all around.

See you Saturday!

Did they change something up at Manchester, never had any problem at the football games drinking out of the can or bottle? The only place I was asked to pour mine out of a can was at MSJ walking from the parking structure to the field even though the MSJ fans were drinking out of a keg right beside me.

Just like Griz-Backer said keeping it in a cup is the best idea, that is what got me through four years of baseball at all the schools.

MSJ does that to teams who are better than they are  ;)  JK, JK... but there is a way around it if you park in the neighborhood --- lets just say the Bridge Bowl is SRO
Quote from: KYGrizzly on October 07, 2011, 11:03:38 AM
Griz_Backer, KYGrizzly:

KYGrizzly: Sorry, not intending to embarrass you or anyone! ;D  Just trying to "keep us all above board" so to speak! :) ;) :D  Plenty of opportunities to go "imbibe" after the game at one of the local "watering holes" for those who wish to partake of some refreshment!

SaintsFAN:  You would have to pose that temptation to us now, wouldn't you?!!! ;D :) 

Anyway, good luck to your teams this weekend you guys and have a safe and fun weekend!

"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

GRIZ_BACKER

Griz_Backer, KYGrizzly:

We bring our libations regardless of rules.  If there are rules we pour it in a cup, if there aren't we don't. I can only speak for myself but I really don't care about the "rules" as the "rules" are generally based on some sort of religious platform and have nothing to do with grilling, eating, and full enjoyment of college football. I really don't think that God cares if I enjoy a few Coors Lights in the lot.
HCAC Champions 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

GRIZ_BACKER

Quote from: Thunder44 on October 07, 2011, 10:11:29 AM
Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on October 07, 2011, 06:00:03 AM
Could be some competitive games this weekend.

Franklin @ Rose-Hulman: A battle between the last two unbeatens in the conference. Franklin has been the team to beat the past few years while Rose has done well but unable to beat the top teams. Franklin hasn't shown the dominance of the past and if Rose can take advantage they can finally take that next step.

Bluffton @ Manchester: Two teams expected to be toward the bottom but have been somewhat competitive (2-3 TD) against better teams. Both have a win over Earlham, and this could be their final chance at a win this season barring an upset.

Hanover @ Earlham: Hanover continues their stretch through the lower teams of the conference. They shouldn't have a problem handling Earlham and their 15 game losing streak... but you never know how the ball will bounce.

Defiance @ Mt St Joseph: What looked like a big game before the season isn't quite as big now. Defiance has struggled and are staring at going 0 for the first half of the season. MSJ meanwhile needs to win out and show dominance to have any hope at an at large bid (assuming they don't get some help and win the conference). Who will come out with more urgency to win?

Anderson hasn't had a great first half at 1-4 but they get the week off and will look ahead to a winnable game at Bluffton next week.

The Franklin - Rose game is most interesting this week.  Rose jumped out to a 24 - 0 lead before Hanover remembered they were supposed to be playing football, and that gave Rose all kinds of different options on D that they might not have had otherwise.  I think the Panthers ended up with 43 net yards on the ground.

Good luck to both teams.  This game could decide the conference champion.

Just got back from the Franklin Rose Hulman tilt in Terre Haute.  Nice drive on US 40 across west central Indiana (awesome foilage).  Rose has a really nice campus and field (bermuda grass installed for the Colts training camps).  Franklin blasted Rose today  55-10 with 11 minutes to go when Coach Leonard called off the dogs.  The lone touchdown against the first team came as a result of poor field position (FC started from the one and went three and out).  The two other touchdowns came in the last 5-6 minutes against the third string (Rose continued to play the starting QB and RB).  Jonny West had 306 yards at the half (35-10 at that point).  FC looked good today and the defense really laid the wood.  Running game still a bit suspect.  Overall a an enjoyable afternoon with high 70's and sunshine.  Homecoming next week against the Spartans from North Manchester, IN.

GRIZ_BACKER

Congratulations to Defiance on the win against MSJ. Nice to see the Yellowjackets break the win column and knocking MSJ back another notch makes it even better.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Nice to see Jonny West put together a nice game without many mistakes this week for Franklin. As Backer said, running game is still a trouble spot.

Congrats to Defiance for finally getting in the win column. Now everyone except for Earlham has a win this season (and honestly I don't see them getting one with the schedule they have left)

The way I see things, there's three teams with any hope of winning the conference.
Franklin obviously just needs to win out and the only game they should have a challenge is @ Hanover to finish.
Hanover needs to win out including their final 2 @ MSJ and vs Franklin to be in a tie with FC (and have the tiebreaker).
Rose needs to win out including this week vs MSJ and have Hanover beat Franklin to get in a 3 way tie (and I have no idea how the tiebreaker would go).
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

dc_has_been

Nice to see DC get the first W this season!  They could very well win out the remainder of the their schedule if they can play mistake free football and not keep their opponents in the games ahead.  They only thing I can do to accept DC's 0-4 start is that those teams are 18-5 so far.

"If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."
Will Rogers
"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms."
Mike Ditka

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: GRIZ_BACKER on October 08, 2011, 08:25:12 PM
Griz_Backer, KYGrizzly:

We bring our libations regardless of rules.  If there are rules we pour it in a cup, if there aren't we don't. I can only speak for myself but I really don't care about the "rules" as the "rules" are generally based on some sort of religious platform and have nothing to do with grilling, eating, and full enjoyment of college football. I really don't think that God cares if I enjoy a few Coors Lights in the lot.

Only obey good rules.  ;)
"Just think twice is my only advice."

panthersfan

Quote from: dc_has_been on October 10, 2011, 09:09:21 AM
Nice to see DC get the first W this season! ..

Definitely a big win for DC.  On the road no less.

formerd3db

Quote from: GRIZ_BACKER on October 08, 2011, 08:25:12 PM
Griz_Backer, KYGrizzly:

GRIZ_BACKER:

I am disappointed to hear you say that (I hope you are joking, however, I sense that you are not) :o.  From your posted comments, you seem to be someone who has a blatent disregard for any rules.  If we all did that, i.e. disobeyed rules we disagreed with, it would be caos.  Actually, there is a word for that - it's called anarchy. :D  I agree with you that I don't think God cares about if you/we have a "few", however, I do believe He does care about the way you/we do it.  May I offer that you might want to read Colossians Chpts 3 and 4 and also Matthew 22:17 (the latter is talking about taxes, but it really extends beyond that - there are other references regarding following rules and government, but I won't bore you and our colleagues here with those - you all know them and what I'm talking about).  Anyway, if you get caught "with the open cup" and have to pay the consequences wherever, then you get what you deserve.  Please don't do that and respect the rules of the colleges you visit, including your own.  Just MO.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

GRIZ_BACKER

After today's biblical based post related to libations on a dry campus "smite" is a good term for receiving negative karma. Lol  ;)

panthersfan

From what I witnessed on Saturday...  Earlham's game day environment did very little to bolster their "rules." The tailgating and home crowd turn out was dreadful.  I'd hate to be their recruiting coordinator on game day visits.

Visiting somewhere like Franklin, Rose Hulman, Anderson, etc. vs Earlham this past Saturday....  Quite the contrast.

SaintsFAN

Quote from: dc_has_been on October 10, 2011, 09:09:21 AM
Nice to see DC get the first W this season!  They could very well win out the remainder of the their schedule if they can play mistake free football and not keep their opponents in the games ahead.  They only thing I can do to accept DC's 0-4 start is that those teams are 18-5 so far.

Just think, those teams would be 14-9 if they didn't play that Yellow Hornet team from NW Ohio !!!!!!   ;)