Wabash College
42 (68.9%)
DePauw
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 56

smedindy

DPU3619

Quote from: smedindy on November 11, 2007, 05:24:08 PM
Actually, I'm more amazed on why DPU danced with the devil so many times this season, beating inferior teams by close margins.

And that was the really remarkable thing for me.  As poorly as they played pass defense in the Trinity, Millsaps, and Colorado games, to play as well as they did on Saturday was completely unexpected.  Yes, Hudson still had a nice day, particularly throwing to Russell, but Hudson didn't throw for 4 bills and 5 scores like Joseph and Barmore did previously.  The changes that the coaching staff made to that scheme clearly had a positive impact.

And, yeah, being able to run Jeremiah 40+ sure helps.

Fripp52

Some new Monon Bell memories for me:

* Tailgating was awesome and could not have worked out better.  Great weather, great friends, great family.  Throw in some friendly jabs between the crowds.  Parking the motorhome in the Peeler lot worked out just fine.  We parked it on Friday at a terrific location by the grass.  I take back what I said earlier although I would still like to park by the stadium.
* The crowd on both sides.  It is great that the traditions hang around, from the shirts, to the catchy phrases yelled by the crowds - Why does DePauw blow ?  I asked someone.
* The game.  Outstanding on both sides.  I think I may have posted earlier in the week, if not I thought it, that if DPU held Wabash to 3 scores, they had a chance.  Marks was the man, the Oline played great, Spud was efficient and effective when he was needed.  The defense played well except for the 3 big plays.  One guy who almost went unnoticed - Mulligan - was exceptional - 15 catches, that is sick.  I saw him on one series of plays when DPU was driving for the 3rd score.  He was absolutely gassed.  He waddled to the sideline asking to come out.  It was 3rd and 4.  The coaches pushed him back in.  He did not even make it to the huddle.  The slot told him the play.  And he makes the catch for a 5 yard gain and first down.  That is what this game is all about.
* My son gets to experience this game and makes the first tackle of the game on the kickoff.  Awesome feeling for both of us I am sure.
* Great to see Tim Weaver getting inducted into the DPU Hall of Fame.  Tim is recovering from cancer and appears to have beat it.  Great to see Marvin Long after the game.  He came by our tailgate and we shared some old Sigma Nu stories, with some exaggerations sprinkled in I am sure.  Spent the evening at Eddie Meyer's for the usual chili dinner and several cocktails.
* Would have liked to see some Wabash players from the early 80's.  There is always next year.
* What time can I park the motorhome at LG stadium next year ?  I am already planning.
* Finally, good luck to Wabash this weekend.  You lost to a good, if not very good, DPU team.  Get over it and play your asses off this weekend.  I want to see a victory.  Will this game be streamed anywhere ?

smedindy

Still - Adi's hit on Claxton at the goal line is the hit of the year!

DePauwDad

Quote from: Wes Anderson on November 12, 2007, 10:01:12 AM
Quote from: smedindy on November 11, 2007, 05:24:08 PM
Actually, I'm more amazed on why DPU danced with the devil so many times this season, beating inferior teams by close margins.

And that was the really remarkable thing for me.  As poorly as they played pass defense in the Trinity, Millsaps, and Colorado games, to play as well as they did on Saturday was completely unexpected.  Yes, Hudson still had a nice day, particularly throwing to Russell, but Hudson didn't throw for 4 bills and 5 scores like Joseph and Barmore did previously.  The changes that the coaching staff made to that scheme clearly had a positive impact.

And, yeah, being able to run Jeremiah 40+ sure helps.

Several Comments, (These are not excuses, injuries happen)

First, this was the first game in a long time that virtually everyone was healthy. On Offense: Marks bruise was very significant, and he has not been at full strength until recently. Anyone who saw him at Rhodes after the game was amazed at the amount of ice strapped to various parts of his body. Pappas has fought recurring stingers all year, and the new neck roll seemed to resolve this and allow him to get back to his usual nasty self. Claxton has fought injuries and until the foot broke he was the battering ram of old. Ellenger has wrestled with an ankle that seems to have healed allowing him far greater mobility. All of this allowed the O to move the ball they way they should have all year. Trinity, CC, and Millsaps cannot run up and down the field if we have the ball in our hands, chewing up clock.

The Defense had injuries for Reed #10, McNealus #50, as well as others, and the offenses problems and poor field goal kicking has left them in some rotten spots. I do not believe the defense would have had as many lapses had they not been forced to stay on the field due to the offensive injuries. I would speculate that the Wabash staff did not see on film the team they saw Saturday on the field. When the offense is at full strength, we can control a game.

Wabash for their part was a great opponent. I was completely impressed with Adi, and based on some comments I heard he was gracious and complimentary to those asked to block him- no small task. I was completely inpressed with the way Pappas, Ellenger, Yearwood, Lundorf, and Joeckel dominated the trenches. Touches translate into TD's and DePauw controlled the touches.

Great game to watch!!!

BashBacker#16

Fripp52

Bashbacker

Tim Weaver was #3.  He was a year behind me.  His football seasons were 82, 83, 84, and 85  He was a very good wide receiver.  He was not big or real fast, but very deceptive.  He also had great success on punt and kickoff returns.  He is a lawyer now based in the Elkhart area.  Great to see him.

Most of my closest DPU friends are defensive guys.  We were joking that during our careers, the only guys that got inducted into the HOF are offensive guys - Bonnacorsi, Weaver, DeNicola.....With all the Ints and fumbles those guys created, at least one of us should be there.

BashBacker#16

Bashbro posted this on the NCAC page & thought you guys would like to see this...what a great play by #40 Pynenberg - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9z-6NQPCmo

DPU3619

Glad somebody captured that on video.

Glad somebody captured this on video, too.  ;D

DePauwDad

Quote from: BashBacker#16 on November 13, 2007, 09:23:23 AM
Bashbro posted this on the NCAC page & thought you guys would like to see this...what a great play by #40 Pynenberg - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9z-6NQPCmo

I saw that hit from close range and it was tremendous. The video accurately captures the moment- it was a big time play by a big time winner.

The kid was all class after the game giving kudos to the DePauw OLine. This game for me epiomizes a true rivalry- two teams competing at a high level, with history.

The DePauw kicker will find his name etched in that history forever.

Schwami

The only problem with Adi's tackle was that it ended the first half instead of the second half.  :-\
Long shall we sing thy praises, Old Wabash

DePauwDad

Quote from: Schwami on November 13, 2007, 06:02:03 PM
The only problem with Adi's tackle was that it ended the first half instead of the second half.  :-\

Schwami.............I reiterate........it was perfect!!!!!!

smedindy

One of the best hits I've ever seen on ANY level. Whoever denigrates D-3 shall get a copy of that hit.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: smedindy on November 13, 2007, 09:34:05 PM
One of the best hits I've ever seen on ANY level. Whoever denigrates D-3 shall get a copy of that hit.

Whoever denigrates D-3 should get hit like that.   ;D

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.