Around the Nation board

Started by Pat Coleman, September 22, 2005, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quoting Dan Patrick's interview with Erin Andrews on p. 28 of the December 1st SI...

QuoteDan Patrick:  More hair-care products:  you or Kirk Herbstreit?

Erin Andrews:  Wow, I would say we're probably equal.  Now, Jesse palmer, you could throw him in there as well.

Huhhh!  No K-Mack?

Why he is the self-proclaimed "Kirk Herbstreit" of D3!!!   :D

K-Mack

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 01, 2008, 01:17:45 PM
Quoting Dan Patrick's interview with Erin Andrews on p. 28 of the December 1st SI...

Erin Andrews:  Wow, I would say we're probably equal.  Now, Jesse palmer, you could throw him in there as well.

Huhhh!  No K-Mack?

Low-budget though! We can't afford hair products, that's why I keep the same low haircut as in my ATN sig picture eight years ago.

I'll have a word with Erin if she draws the Stagg assignment this year.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Quote from: TGP on December 01, 2008, 01:07:40 PM
Not sure if this is the best place for this, but thought I'd put it out there.  Below is a direct quote from today's Ivan Maisel BCS column on ESPN.com. 

These guys (still) just don't get it:

A playoff is not the panacea to cure college football's ills. A playoff would present as many problems as it does solutions. A playoff is politically unfeasible unless the regular season is shortened, which is financially unfeasible. A playoff could suck the life out of the regular season, much as it has done to college basketball.

A playoff wouldn't ratchet up the tension throughout November -- National College Football Arguing Month -- the way the BCS does.

I don't recall there not being any "tension" throughout this November.  My "home conference", the LL for instance, wasn't wrapped up until the last regular season game.  The play-off format in D3 only added to, not "suck the life out of" Hobart's regular season.  Whatever.

Jeez.....

Hear here.

This concept came up in the Wash. Post newsroom the other day, where it was easily determined that there was no need to argue, because literally almost NO ONE that doesn't work for ESPN or one of the Power Six conferences thinks the BCS is a better idea than the playoffs.

Maisel would be a first.

The thing is, Division I-AA/FCS does it with 16 teams and the same amount of available weeks.

If you compress the season to feature no byes, you could get an 8-team or a 16-team jobber in by Jan. 7 (date of BCS title game) ... it's only the max number of extra weeks for two schools, and business as usual for most.

We know kids can play playoff football and still graduate. (miss class? Do what the rest of the student body does when they miss class, do the work in advance or make it up later. Not hard)

Bottom line was if they wanted a playoff, they could figure out how to get it done.

Personally, if they prefer bowls, fine ... but don't try to serve us a BS "national champion." That's the only part that irks me, the fact that some one-loss teams are superior to others when we look at any playoff system and see two-loss teams smoking them. It's the nature of football and it deserves to be sorted out on the field.

Rant over.

Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Not to mention the "it would ruin the regular season" argument is super-dumb.

The chase for eight or 16 playoff spots would ratchet up regular-season importance by creating more second chances for teams to get into the show ... and then we'd get bonus playoffs on top of it.

Plus you still have conference races & rivalries.

Our regular season is awesome.

I've honestly stopped caring about how D-IA does it wrong. I just kick back and enjoy my D3 every fall.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

@d3jason

Quote from: K-Mack on December 02, 2008, 12:08:11 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 01, 2008, 01:17:45 PM

Huhhh!  No K-Mack?

Low-budget though! We can't afford hair products, that's why I keep the same low haircut as in my ATN sig picture eight years ago.

I'll have a word with Erin if she draws the Stagg assignment this year.

How many more tickets does the Stagg sell if Ms Andrews draws that game?

And secondly, can K-Mack get the interview?

Thirdly, Can he speak if he does?

Knightstalker

Quote from: K-Mack on December 02, 2008, 12:18:48 AM
Not to mention the "it would ruin the regular season" argument is super-dumb.

The chase for eight or 16 playoff spots would ratchet up regular-season importance by creating more second chances for teams to get into the show ... and then we'd get bonus playoffs on top of it.

Plus you still have conference races & rivalries.

Our regular season is awesome.

I've honestly stopped caring about how D-IA does it wrong. I just kick back and enjoy my D3 every fall.

It really is quite simple in concept.  11 AQs' 5 at large bids for a 16 team playoff.  4 Pool C types and 1 Pool B type from the independents, there are only four in D-1A.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

HScoach

16 teams would be nice, but I'd be more than happy to see an 8 team playoff in D1.  The best scenario would be the Top 8 teams based on whatever calculation is used.  But even 6 AQ's and 2 at-large bids would be infinitely better than the crap we have now. 

Personally, I don't have a problem with the BCS calculation methodolgy.  I just hate that it's used to pick the only 2 teams with a shot at the mythical title.  If it was used to pick the 2 at-large bids to a playoff or the entire 8 or 16 team field, then we'd be cool.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Bill McCabe

Quote from: hscoach on December 02, 2008, 01:38:38 PM
16 teams would be nice, but I'd be more than happy to see an 8 team playoff in D1.  The best scenario would be the Top 8 teams based on whatever calculation is used.  But even 6 AQ's and 2 at-large bids would be infinitely better than the crap we have now. 

Personally, I don't have a problem with the BCS calculation methodolgy.  I just hate that it's used to pick the only 2 teams with a shot at the mythical title.  If it was used to pick the 2 at-large bids to a playoff or the entire 8 or 16 team field, then we'd be cool.

hscoach,  I would be happy to see any type of playoff, 4 teams, 8 teams, whatever.  Hope to see one in my lifetime and I'm beginning to worry some.   ;)

'gro

I agree with KS, 11 AQ's and 5 at large... but no pool B. The pool is too small, it's almost looks like a Notre Dame clause (not recently though, haha). Use the BCS or something similar to pick the 5 at large bids. The part that I don't get is how ESPN is so against this. In a world of 24 hour news and multiple networks, wouldn't it help to expand the coverage beyond the major conferences? As the season goes on, even that coverage gets narrowed down to the potential title game contenders. It gets boring fast.

In a 16 team playoffs people would actually care about who is winning the smaller conferences... and therefore ESPN would cover them. All the nuances that we already see in D3 - who picked up their 2nd loss, conference tie breakers, etc - would be covered over and over by the talking heads... and the fans would enjoy it. And finally I'd like to see at least the first 2 rounds at the schools... could you imagine a home playoff game at Florida, PSU, Ohio St, or USC?

Every other division does it right.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: 'gro on December 02, 2008, 04:52:54 PM
I agree with KS, 11 AQ's and 5 at large... but no pool B. The pool is too small, it's almost looks like a Notre Dame clause (not recently though, haha). Use the BCS or something similar to pick the 5 at large bids. The part that I don't get is how ESPN is so against this. In a world of 24 hour news and multiple networks, wouldn't it help to expand the coverage beyond the major conferences? As the season goes on, even that coverage gets narrowed down to the potential title game contenders. It gets boring fast.

In a 16 team playoffs people would actually care about who is winning the smaller conferences... and therefore ESPN would cover them. All the nuances that we already see in D3 - who picked up their 2nd loss, conference tie breakers, etc - would be covered over and over by the talking heads... and the fans would enjoy it. And finally I'd like to see at least the first 2 rounds at the schools... could you imagine a home playoff game at Florida, PSU, Ohio St, or USC?

And in a field of 16, you have 8 potential Cinderellas!

Remember how much fun Boise State Oklahoma was two years ago?

Remember how much fun the opening round of March Madness is when those "name" programs with "egos" run into a fundamentally solid program of guys who have been playing team basketball for 2-3 years?

HScoach

Didn't ESPN just buy the TV rights for the next BCS contract?
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

PA_wesleyfan

I would think that with eight teams you still get the conference prejudices you get now with the BCS. If teams from the so called elite conferences don't play bigger schools  non conference how do we really know that one conference is better than another ???   And this year there are two non BCS schools eligible for major bowls I think
Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

K-Mack

Quote from: Bill McCabe on December 02, 2008, 02:21:08 PM
Quote from: hscoach on December 02, 2008, 01:38:38 PM

hscoach,  I would be happy to see any type of playoff, 4 teams, 8 teams, whatever.  Hope to see one in my lifetime and I'm beginning to worry some.   ;)

Agree with you both.

Agree here with you guys, Gro.

I actually wrote a column for some small paper years ago laying out this AQ/at-large scenario, and ESPN.com floated the exact same idea a year later. When you actually look at the D1 rankings and form the bracket, and you see, say, Oklahoma having to go through, say, unbeaten Ball State, USC and Florida to win it all, you realize how much fun it could be.

I agree, early rounds on campus, late rounds at BCS bowl sites. This ensures good crowds on short notice, and the ability to earn a home game (fans and TV peeps will always find "controversy" to talk about) ... but people can pre-buy tickets for The Rose Bowl not knowing the matchup the same way they do for The Final Four. I honestly think giving extra time to book advance travel is one of the reasons the PTB (powers that be) prefer bowls. Mo' money!

I honestly think if someone like Paul Allen came up with the money, the schools would do it. I don't believe the "final exam week" issue is a problem that can't be overcome.

But yeah, ESPN's recent TV deal is an obstacle to makng this happen any time soon.

However, if people stopped giving a crap, they would switch up quickly.

I have opted to stop giving a crap. This is the most i've discussed it anywhere.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

K-Mack

I've always said that Paul Allen thing ... someone once told me he actually made an offer -- not just any guy, but him -- and it was turned down.

No idea if that's true.

But if some rich entity could guarantee the payouts for the first few years, and top what the Bowls do without leaving bowl tradition completely out in the cold ... it could probably be done.

Look at the ACC expansion. The schools did it for an extra million a year from the championship game. Plus the next TV deal. That's it.  Money talks.

I wouldn't mind a 16-team playoff that forced the abolition of conference championship games.

But whatever, we've got some cool playoffs going on here and in I-AA and II.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

Ralph Turner

Quote from: K-Mack on December 02, 2008, 09:20:48 PM
But whatever, we've got some cool playoffs going on here and in I-AA and II.

I hope that our TV ratings beat the other 2 championship games.   ;)