Around the Nation board

Started by Pat Coleman, September 22, 2005, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Quote from: Knightstalker on December 26, 2008, 07:16:45 PM
So in hindsight UWW would have been better off throwing quick 5 yard out patterns instead of running the ball?

Those routes were open almost ALL day.  I would have thought that UWW would have tried to run it earlier, then passed more when they got down and had to catch up.
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on December 26, 2008, 07:19:19 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 26, 2008, 07:07:43 PM
Gainesville TX State School vs Grapevine Faith HS.

This story has been posted elsewhere, and Rick Reilly had it in SI.

Here is the Fort Worth Star-Telegram story.

Enjoy!

Ralph, very inspiring story - thanks.

Can you get McMurry to recruit #7? ;)
That level of high school football in tough to judge in the Texas.

I believe that Faith and GSS are in TAPPS, "Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools", which is different from the University Interscholastic League (UIL) where the "other 1000" high schools play.

I think that there are several schools in D-III and the NAIA and JUCO's that would give him a chance.  :)

K-Mack

Quote from: section13raiderfan on December 25, 2008, 09:31:12 PMI still maintain that it backfires on you more times than not.

I disagree. Most people remember the times it doesn't work and see the times it does work as "they were supposed to win" business as usual, so it doesn't stand out.

Also, when a team is passing they are going to hit some plays whether you play tight coverage or loose, but you're less likely to give up a big play if there are more people in the secondary to make tackles and less spots left open by blitzing defenders.

Anyway, I thought you all added something to the discussion in your responses, and I mostly stick by how I wrote my stance originally, so I won't drag it out much longer.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

section13raiderfan

Case in point ...Penn State trying to run a loose zone defense with drops in the neighborhood of 7 to 8 yards against USC.  USC just makes em look silly. Maybe Penn State was never gonna win this one from the getgo, but that defense made it seem hopeless altogether. I call that philosophy the " slow rape " defense. I prefer to at least  try to resist a little more than that. 

Knightstalker

I thought the Cardinals did a nice job tonight of playing loose in the middle but not letting Atlanta get behind them or to the sidelines in the 4th quarter.  They only gave up the one big play that I saw.  I thought they had a good defensive game plan for Atlanta today, definitely used the defense to eat up some clock.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

HScoach

I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Outsider14

it was easy to miss, as it was 2 bad teams playing football, but the feat was still significant:

St. Vincent College @ Gallaudet in Week 2. Both teams were 2nd year programs (officially), with a shared history of having SVC--and former Gallaudet--Head Coach Bob Colbert 35 years apart. Gallaudet was up 20-3 at halftime and the Bearcats came back to win 23-22 for their first win in 46 years. The game ended wildly on a recovered fumble inside Bearcat territory
"99% ain't good enough"

K-Mack

Quote from: hscoach on January 07, 2009, 10:48:55 AMKeith, where is ATN Part 2?

Since you asked, you can be one of the first to see it. It's not promo'd on the front page yet, but it's up on the Around the Nation page.

http://www.d3football.com/columns/around-the-nation

Thanks for your interest.

The truth is, I got a lot of it done during the playoffs while working on Part 1, and I figured it would be easy to finish up by Dec. 31. But then I squandered just about every opportunity to work on it between Christmas and New Year's. Couple that with the way I notice new items as I research planned ones, and it kept growing and growing.

Pat used his mad editing skills to make it fit.

Enjoy!

(explaining because you aren't the only one to have asked. I apologize for blowing my self-imposed deadline)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: K-Mack on January 08, 2009, 04:51:54 PM
Quote from: hscoach on January 07, 2009, 10:48:55 AMKeith, where is ATN Part 2?

Since you asked, you can be one of the first to see it. It's not promo'd on the front page yet, but it's up on the Around the Nation page.

http://www.d3football.com/columns/around-the-nation

Thanks for your interest.

The truth is, I got a lot of it done during the playoffs while working on Part 1, and I figured it would be easy to finish up by Dec. 31. But then I squandered just about every opportunity to work on it between Christmas and New Year's. Couple that with the way I notice new items as I research planned ones, and it kept growing and growing.

Pat used his mad editing skills to make it fit.

Enjoy!

(explaining because you aren't the only one to have asked. I apologize for blowing my self-imposed deadline)
Past edited out good stuff that you wrote? :o

Man, I want to read part 3, some time in the spring!

I need my ATN K-Mack fix!  :D

K-Mack

If that piece of work can't hold people until football season, I might have bitten off more than I can chew in terms of building a needy audience :)

Appreciate your patience though.

And yeah, since Pat did some of the captions and editing, I'm learning stuff by reading it too! :)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

usee

Great piece on ATN2 Kmack. +k for that to you, Pat and the team! nice and long with lots of content.

I'll throw my vote for top 5 teams in 09 for North Central. The team that dominated #5 Wheaton returns virtually everybody next year with what should certainly be a better team than this year and likely the best team NCC has ever had. They should be the prohibitive favorite to win the CCIW. Wheaton will be great on offense, returning 8 starters including Norris and Gingg but they have to replace 9 starters on defense.

I would pick:

UWW
Mt Union
UMHB
North Central
Willamette

PA_wesleyfan

K-Mack

So as it turnsout you put the jinx on Wesley  ;).... You will now be forever tied to the SI front page jinsx. ;D

Great job on part two!!
Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

HScoach

Keith,

As always, nice job on the article.

And yes, I am very needy.  But I prefer blondes.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

reality check

Quote from: hscoach on January 09, 2009, 12:06:07 PM
Keith,

As always, nice job on the article.

And yes, I am very needy.  But I prefer blondes.

You'd be out of your league getting Keith, let alone a blonde. 
OAC Champs: 1942 (one title ties us with Ohio State)
OAC Runners-Up: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2010, 2009, 2005, 2004, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1982, 1941 (Stupid Mount Union!)
MOL Champs: 1952, 1950

K-Mack

Quote from: USee on January 09, 2009, 12:39:50 AM
Great piece on ATN2 Kmack. +k for that to you, Pat and the team! nice and long with lots of content.

I'll throw my vote for top 5 teams in 09 for North Central. The team that dominated #5 Wheaton returns virtually everybody next year with what should certainly be a better team than this year and likely the best team NCC has ever had. They should be the prohibitive favorite to win the CCIW. Wheaton will be great on offense, returning 8 starters including Norris and Gingg but they have to replace 9 starters on defense.

I would pick:

UWW
Mt Union
UMHB
North Central
Willamette

That's not bad. I was really struggling to think of a team that brough enough key components back, and Wartburg with Yordi, etc. was all I could come up with off the top. North Central might not be a bad one.

I thought they were really good this year though, the Franklin loss surprised me. Although Franklin was darn good too.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take