MBB: Skyline Conference

Started by Mike Dougherty aka Knightstalker, July 28, 2004, 10:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

racer59

Just noticed that Purchase State has joined the Skyline effective 07. I guess Bard and Poly will be next. It sure doesn't help the conference strengthwise but at least it appears that it will survive. Purchase will be in their second provisional year. Will the NEAC survive?

Pat Coleman

If Bard and Poly join the Skyline, then there might be some worry about the NEAC.

Here's what the NEAC has lost/is losing:

Chestnut Hill (going to D-II)
SUNY-Purchase (going to Skyline)
Villa Julie (going to Capital)

It still has nine schools. The NEAC could strengthen itself by picking up St. Joe's-Brooklyn when that school enters the D-III membership pipeline.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

zonescantstopme

Pat I'm interested in hearing what you think about Centenary's Chances in the PAC??

racer59

Well it happened. The Skyline announced that Poly and Bard will join effective the 2007-08 season. Doesn't help keep the men's Lax AQ. The NEAC is now in trouble. I would guess that Wells will probably join, since they are close to Cazenovia, D'youville, and Keuka. Poly and Bard plus Purchase and Russell Sage aren't in the same class athletically as the schools that are leaving the Skyline. At least it will survive. Not sure about the NEAC.

Raptormania!

I have been saying for years on these boards that this is the right move for Bard- I'm very pleased.

racer59

Now all Bard has to do is get a real athletic program. Add some sports. I know football is out of the question (shame). Based on Bard's demographics, there is no reason why they shouldn't have men' and women's lacrosse and also field hockey for the ladies. The Skyline needs lacrosse teams both men and women. Bard has noexcuse for such a  sad department. Only Yeshiva is worse. But they have  no campus.At least their men's basketball is competitive.In any case I wish Bard the best and hopefully they will eventually be able to compete with their academic peers. Maybe this is the first step.

Raptormania!

Racer59,

With all due respect, this is far from a first step. Taking it for granted that the basketball team can compete in the Skyline was a ton of steps, and building, to get to that point. They've come a long way, and they're committed to go even further. It's not really possible to build a program overnight. But they're on the way. The women;s team was in worse shape than the men's team, and they've built up. The right people are in place- the Skyline is fortunate to get a program hellbent on improving. 
      What are the football programs like in the Skyline? I would have loved to see football and baseball at Bard. But even any appreciation of athletics by the administration is a recent development.

racer59

To Raptormania: There will be no football programs in the Skyline when Kings Point leaves. In re: baseball, I'm the wrong guy. I don't follow baseball or soccer, I would need too much caffeine to stay awake. In re: hoops, as of now, unless there is a big change(always possible) Bard men will battle with Poly and Purchase for the basement. The women can add Russell Sage , and NY Maritime for that battle. Currently the rest of the Skyline teams, although not strong ,are a couple of levels above the newbies. Hopefully Bard and the others will add sports and become competitive. Gotta tell ya tho' I love the Raptormania site for Bard.....lotsa yuks......the most entertaining.... :D

Raptormania!

Thanks Racer59,

Thanks for the info- and the compliment! I know that Bard is committed to making those steps forward to become a Skyline contender. IT will be fun to watch them do so. I don't expect miracles overnight, but Coach Wood has already gotten so much progress, I'll put nothing past him.

zonescantstopme

::)  with all do respect to the 07-08 season whos everyones favorite for this year how do you see the conference shaking out??

carlweathers

I am hearing that Kings Point has a new coach.  John Krikorian was most recently an assistant at Navy under Billy Lange.  He also worked for Lange at Kings Point a few years back. 

zonescantstopme

Any Preseason Season Rankings for Mens Skyline??

zonescantstopme

The Valiants are right now considered top 4 in the conference what else did u see in the valiants where did u play in the skyline?

zonescantstopme

I played against them twice last season when they are focused they are dangerous, but they seem to lose focuse sometimes and just try to depend on athleticisim

CCsalive

No talk about Maritime's 5OT-win?
How many 25pt+ games in just over one season does Dougherty have?
The kid can play...his older brother used to light it up for Maritime from 97-01