BB: 2012 West Regional

Started by CrashDavisD3, December 16, 2011, 09:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: 108 Stitches on February 23, 2012, 03:27:34 PM
Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on February 22, 2012, 04:42:49 PM
Quote from: wildcat11 on February 22, 2012, 11:54:07 AM
Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on February 21, 2012, 10:59:47 PM
I really prefer a warm weather state over the rain and cold of the Northwest....

Lets hope the La Niña starts to subside by May.....

What are the U.S. impacts of La Niña?

La Niña often features drier than normal conditions in the Southwest in late summer through the subsequent winter. Drier than normal conditions also typically occur in the Central Plains in the fall and in the Southeast in the winter. In contrast, the Pacific Northwest is more likely to be wetter than normal in the late fall and early winter with the presence of a well-established La Niña. Additionally, on average La Niña winters are warmer than normal in the Southeast and colder than normal in the Northwest.

McMinnville Oregon Weather Forecast
Saturday H 45 L 34 Rain
Sunday H 45 L 30 Chance of Snow
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

tigerfan_2001

It sucks that a regional would be hosted in a part of the country where weather could affect the games.  Also isnt a good idea to have a regional where the city can't support all the teams.  Two years ago, Trinity stayed 45 miles from the field.  Maybe there are more hotels now.

BigPoppa

Quote from: tigerfan_2001 on February 24, 2012, 12:06:57 PM
It sucks that a regional would be hosted in a part of the country where weather could affect the games. 

It's baseball. Weather is always a part of the game. Are you suggesting that we move all 8 regionals to the either Texas or Southern California to avoid the weather? Or play them in domes?
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

108 Stitches

I believe the poster was saying that it would be better to pick a location that has a the prospect of having acceptable weather AND a city that could support the number of teams and fans coming in. I don't have any experience with the Linfield site so I can't really comment on its suitability. 45 miles from the site seems excessive to me and puts an unnecessary burden on a team. 

There are plenty of places outside of Texas and Ca that have acceptable facilities and the prospect of good weather. It seems to me that the spring training facilities around the country would be perfect neutral sites, but maybe there are cost issues involved. In the end I guess someone has to apply to have one, which might also be part of the problem. Don't really know but certainly the Pacific Northwest would not seem like a place you would want to plan for one, anytime before June. June through September there is no better place in the world, but that does not fit into DIII regional timing.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: BigPoppa on February 24, 2012, 12:34:00 PM
It sucks that a regional would be hosted in a part of the country where weather could affect the games. 

It's baseball. Weather is always a part of the game. Are you suggesting that we move all 8 regionals to the either Texas or Southern California to avoid the weather? Or play them in domes?
I am suggesting that the last 4 years 3 have been in the cold bad weather Northwest. I believe it should rotate each year in the West to  Texas, CA and Northwest. If you call playing baseball in pouring rain in weather in the 30's with wind blowing so hard rain is blowing sideways and players standing in the pouring rain for 1 hour delay. This is not baseball. I suggest then we have no weather delays and play like they do in football regardless of weather
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."

108 Stitches

What about Phoenix? It is cheap to get in and out of, the weather would be perfect in May, hotels are plentiful and inexpensive, flying is affordable, and there are more baseball fields within a 15 mile radius than probably anywhere else in the world. I don't get it. I know the SCAC has been holding their tournament at the USA baseball facility, why not regionals at the spring training parks? Same in FL, and NC. There are plenty of places that have the infrastructure necessary to support one. It does not do justice to any all of the teams to be playing in marginal places, be it weather or infrastructure.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: 108 Stitches on February 24, 2012, 03:32:01 PM
What about Phoenix? It is cheap to get in and out of, the weather would be perfect in May, hotels are plentiful and inexpensive, flying is affordable, and there are more baseball fields within a 15 mile radius than probably anywhere else in the world. I don't get it. I know the SCAC has been holding their tournament at the USA baseball facility, why not regionals at the spring training parks? Same in FL, and NC. There are plenty of places that have the infrastructure necessary to support one. It does not do justice to any all of the teams to be playing in marginal places, be it weather or infrastructure.
COST..
Hotel rooms, bus rides, flights...

I agree that AZ would be a great neutral West Regional site
Great weather, great fields, great area.

but who would be the host? Host teams(schools provide alot of volunteer(FREE) support for this events. Without a host school the cost would be in line with what the NCAA is willing to pay for.

108 Stitches

I don't know Crash, but it seems to me it could be done. Just because it has been done one-way all of the time, does not mean it needs to always be done that way. Get each team to provide a couple of volunteers each. It would not be that difficult to organize. Here's a concept, have the guys making the big $$$ at the NCAA actually do something for their pay. All of these sites have snack shacks, there are local vendors that would man them, the NCAA is organizing the brackets and game times. How many people are really needed?

tigerfan_2001

If weather could be avoided, don't the teams deserve it. Ca and Tx are great options. Just have it rotate.

Besides, it sucks that teams had to stay 45 miles from the field because there weren't enough accommodation in Linfield. How can you host a regional and not have enough hotels for the teams.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: 108 Stitches on February 25, 2012, 11:32:14 AM
I don't know Crash, but it seems to me it could be done. Just because it has been done one-way all of the time, does not mean it needs to always be done that way. Get each team to provide a couple of volunteers each. It would not be that difficult to organize. Here's a concept, have the guys making the big $$$ at the NCAA actually do something for their pay. All of these sites have snack shacks, there are local vendors that would man them, the NCAA is organizing the brackets and game times. How many people are really needed?
I love the idea and think it is great and could work. I just feel the NCAA wont budge it how they want to do things.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: tigerfan_2001 on February 25, 2012, 11:38:19 AM

If weather could be avoided, don't the teams deserve it. Ca and Tx are great options. Just have it rotate.

Besides, it sucks that teams had to stay 45 miles from the field because there weren't enough accommodation in Linfield. How can you host a regional and not have enough hotels for the teams.
Our team stayed in Salem..over 30 miles away. That meant a 45 minutes to 90 minutes (in heavy rains) one way. Like I said if the regional was there once every 3 to 4 years maybe but 3 out of 4 years is just plane stupid. Great stadium, great host, great people, beautiful country. weather sucks and hotels are too far from venue also

CrashDavisD3

2012 West Regional Teams
West – Roy Helser Field in McMinnville, Ore. (Linfield, host)

SCIAC - La Verne Pool A
NWC - - Whitworth
SCAC -
ASC -
POOL C
POOL C

TexasBB

For what it is worth the Softball regionals are being held at the UTT Complex (Baseball and Softball). It is a great complex  and has pleanty of hotels in the area. The weather in East Texas in May is warm high in the mid 80s and low in the upper 60s at night.
It also doesn't rain nearly as much as it does in the NW. So they could hold the regional in Texas and have in the past (McMurry).

TexasBB

Ralph Turner

Quote from: TexasBB on April 28, 2012, 10:04:31 PM
For what it is worth the Softball regionals are being held at the UTT Complex (Baseball and Softball). It is a great complex  and has pleanty of hotels in the area. The weather in East Texas in May is warm high in the mid 80s and low in the upper 60s at night.
It also doesn't rain nearly as much as it does in the NW. So they could hold the regional in Texas and have in the past (McMurry and Georgetown/Southwestern).

TexasBB
I believe that an enclosed press box is one of the criteria for hosting regionals.
The facility at UTT has room for such an upgrade.

Ron Boerger

and Trinity is fundraising for an upgrade which I believe will include an enclosed press box.