Empire 8

Started by boobyhasgameyo, March 12, 2005, 12:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjfcards

Chris Sullivan, the assistant coach for Fisher, was on the halftime show for the football team this past weekend and mentioned that the outlook for Fisher is bright for this coming season. Bringing back all but one player, and apparently there are "several recruits that will compete for time, and see the floor".

I have no other information, but it got me excited for basketball to start. Would love to see Fisher get back to that elite level they had several years back, but we will have to wait and see.

Can't wait!
GO FISHER!!!

sjfcards

Fisher has updated their basketball roster for the coming season. 5 new freshman, and what looks like an AU transfer (Pep? - Curtis Marshall). Coach Kornaker was on the halftime show of the Fisher football game this past week and mentioned three names as incoming freshman who may see a lot of time. Jake Hicks (6'5 Guard from Shenendehowa), Tyler English (6'4 Guard from St. Mary's/Lockport), and Tyler Farrell (6'3 Forward from Hilton).

I don't know much about any of them, but if they all see significant time Fisher could have some good size guards to go with Chaz Lott and Keegan Ryan. Those two are the anchors of this years team I am sure, but Stefan Bock and Kindard will play a role as well. I have heard a few interviews with the coaching staff and they all seem to be optimistic about this team, so it should be interesting.
GO FISHER!!!

magicman

I think Fisher is the preseason favorite to win the E8 this year. The Ryan kid should improve considerably over last year and if he stays healthy the Cardinals will be team to beat...on paper anyway. ;)

Bengalsrule

Quote from: magicman on October 31, 2014, 08:24:27 PM
I think Fisher is the preseason favorite to win the E8 this year. The Ryan kid should improve considerably over last year and if he stays healthy the Cardinals will be team to beat...on paper anyway. ;)

Ditto to what the "Magic 1" said ;)

sjfcards

Apparently the E8 Coaches agree with you, as they have Fisher #1 in the pre-season poll. Stevens in at 2nd.
GO FISHER!!!

dcahill44

The D3hoops season has kicked off! Naz lost a tough one to Rochester in a game they could have easily stolen at the end and were up by 3 with a minute and a half left. Alfred played great and beat ESF by a large margin. Stevens lost to Brooklyn by 15. Interesting that Evan Klimchak isn't on the Stevens roster, that could really hurt the guard play for Stevens. Hartwick beat Farmingdale State by 17 and came back to Laker Hall the next night and lost an ugly came to Oswego State. Both teams didn't shoot well in that game. Elmira will be a surprise team in this league after a big win at Oswego and watching them against Farmingdale State. I think like last year they will surprise some teams at home and get better throughout the year. Ithaca lost to Skidmore in both teams season opener.

sjfcards

Quote from: dcahill44 on November 18, 2014, 12:03:33 PM
The D3hoops season has kicked off! Naz lost a tough one to Rochester in a game they could have easily stolen at the end and were up by 3 with a minute and a half left. Alfred played great and beat ESF by a large margin. Stevens lost to Brooklyn by 15. Interesting that Evan Klimchak isn't on the Stevens roster, that could really hurt the guard play for Stevens. Hartwick beat Farmingdale State by 17 and came back to Laker Hall the next night and lost an ugly came to Oswego State. Both teams didn't shoot well in that game. I Elmira will be a surprise team in this league after a big win at Oswego and watching them against Farmingdale State. I think like last year they will be surprise some team at home and get better throughout the year. Ithaca lost to Skidmore in both teams season opener.

Not a huge fan of Fisher starting the season so late this year (11/25). I would have liked to see a game around now.
GO FISHER!!!

AUPepBand

Quote from: sjfcards on October 31, 2014, 03:28:00 PM
Fisher has updated their basketball roster for the coming season. 5 new freshman, and what looks like an AU transfer (Pep? - Curtis Marshall). Coach Kornaker was on the halftime show of the Fisher football game this past week and mentioned three names as incoming freshman who may see a lot of time. Jake Hicks (6'5 Guard from Shenendehowa), Tyler English (6'4 Guard from St. Mary's/Lockport), and Tyler Farrell (6'3 Forward from Hilton).

I don't know much about any of them, but if they all see significant time Fisher could have some good size guards to go with Chaz Lott and Keegan Ryan. Those two are the anchors of this years team I am sure, but Stefan Bock and Kindard will play a role as well. I have heard a few interviews with the coaching staff and they all seem to be optimistic about this team, so it should be interesting.

Name doesn't ring a bell and Pep got well acquainted with the squad last year. Checked rosters from earlier seasons and the name didn't appear. Perhaps a transfer from Alfred State, although last year's Pioneer roster did not include said Curtis Marshall, who perhaps transferred to Fisher from Texas Tech....?!? Pep is thinking y'all might want to check on his eligibility.  ;D

http://www.texastech.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/marshall_curtis00.html

On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

AUPepBand

Quote from: sjfcards on November 15, 2014, 09:09:25 PM

Apparently the E8 Coaches agree with you, as they have Fisher #1 in the pre-season poll. Stevens in at 2nd.

Here's the link:

http://www.empire8.com/news/2014/11/13/MBB_1113144605.aspx?path=mbball

For the Saxons....new coach and new digs....Galanis Family Arena:
http://www.alfred.edu/pressreleases/viewrelease.cfm?ID=9102

Here's some video/recap/interviews of the Saxons' first game at the newly-transformed facility:
http://www.gosaxons.com/news/2014/11/15/MBB_1115144814.aspx?path=mbball

On Saxon Warriors!
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

sjfcards

Fisher finally gets underway tonight against what looks like a pretty good Oneonta team. Should be a good early test. I am really interested to see the starting 5 for Fisher. I am sure that Lott and Ryan will be in there, but with the incoming freshman looking to get some time I am interested to see how Coach Kornaker puts them together.

Tonight should give a pretty good idea of what Fisher has this year.
GO FISHER!!!

sjfcards

A strong opening statement for Fisher as they take care of SUNY Oneonta 83-72. Fisher held a double digit lead for most of the game (especially the 2nd half) but Oneonta did cut the lead down to under 5 at one point. Fisher looked good. Medaille up next for the Cards on Saturday.
GO FISHER!!!

dcahill44

A good win for Nazareth against Keystone last night. A bit surprised Fisher lost to Medaille but a close game. The Wendys Classic looks to be as interesting as ever this year.

Bengalsrule

Quote from: sjfcards on November 25, 2014, 09:00:39 PM
A strong opening statement for Fisher as they take care of SUNY Oneonta 83-72. Fisher held a double digit lead for most of the game (especially the 2nd half) but Oneonta did cut the lead down to under 5 at one point. Fisher looked good. Medaille up next for the Cards on Saturday.

Good to see you venture over to the Basketball boards there!!!Q

And yes, that was a good win over a Oneonta team that started out the season beating Williams.

fisheralum91

The good win over Oneonta was followed by a head scratcher loss to Medaille.
Saw some of it online-was a battle and looked sloppy.
Anybody have an idea why this was such a tough game?

Bengalsrule

Quote from: fisheralum91 on December 01, 2014, 09:08:43 AM
The good win over Oneonta was followed by a head scratcher loss to Medaille.
Saw some of it online-was a battle and looked sloppy.
Anybody have an idea why this was such a tough game?

I saw medaille in the season opener at Buff State (a BENGALS win). They are  not the same Medaille team as in the past. Considerably scrappier team, IMHO,  than before and, I believe, more talented (at least at guard). Coleman is the pre-season pick for POY, but they have added some pieces. Most notably, former B uff State guard Johnny Belton, who leads the team in assists. He is averaging an assist for every 4 mins of play. I believe that once 1st yr coach Mike Blaine gets a handle on his team, that they can be competitive!