MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlayOnPlaya

It isnt march yet but the madness is here...

"#7 Coast Guard records the first win ever by a NEWMAC seventh-seed to advance
to Saturday's semifinal round at WPI."

Anyways this is my first post but I am always reading just to see what you guys have as the latest development in the Cain -  Bartolotta saga. I mean talking about anyone else on either WPI or MIT just wouldnt be as fun. Cant wait to get into WPIs gym and see the games on Saturday, because of the past few years it almost seems like the tourny is always in Worcester. I am not complaining because it  is a good atmophere and sweet "arena".

hugenerd

The final matchup between MIT and WPI was a synopsis of the entire season:  WPI has a better team, but MIT has the better individual player.

Bartollotta had 22 points, 15 rebounds, and 3 steals (as well as 3 turnovers), while Cain had 6 points, 3 rebounds, and 1 steal (as well as 5 turnovers).

Head to head this season (3 games), Jimmy B has averaged 15.3 points, 10.7 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2.7 steals, while Cain has averaged 7.3 points, 2.7 rebounds, 2.3 assists, and 1.0 steals.

You can decide for yourself who the player of the year is, but it seems pretty obvious to me (since it is an individual award).

wildgoose

This could only happen at a D3 game - WPI vs. MIT - watching the game,  2 kids from WPI sit down next to me and one kid takes out a laptop computer and goes on the web while the game is going.  He is googleing heat retention for a steam turbine engine,  and looking at the diagram?? They left at half time.
Other than that,  watching the game was like watching teams in different speeds,  MIT came out and didn't do much, MIT coach look bewildered, on the first play which MIT threw away he buried his head in his hands, called 5 timeouts in the first half, and granted I know he has a short bench but left Bracht in with 3 fouls in the first half and of course Bracht gets his 4th after he runs over Cain trying to lead the fast break with 4 minutes to go in the first half.   A blow out. 

Having seen Bartolotta   and Cain play numerous times this year (not against each other 1st time today) its obvious Bartolotta and Cain are excellent players.  Cain has a much better team, but watching today's game you can see stats are for losers.  Bartolotta needed to step up, instead he misses 3 out 4 foul shots in the first half when MIT couldn't score and needed to stay in the game.  Cain is a leader and you cant stat that.   You probably to young to remember but Wilt had the stats and Russell has the rings.

cheeks14

Cain also didn't need to step up when they were winning by 25 the entire game.  He played less minutes because they were winning by so much and he also got the W and thats all that matters.  Cain will step up when he needs to unlike Bartlotta who couldn't.  Cain wasn't needed to score a lot of points today and he will do whatever it takes to get the W.

Give Bartolotta the POY if thats what he wants because he sure doesn't care about winning.  Cain will take a NEWMAC regular season title all 4 years he's been here and going to the NCAA tournament over individual awards any day. 

cheeks14

The bottom line is that if you asked anyone that knows NEWMAC basketball who they would pick to be on their team out of Cain and Bartolotta then I'd bet the majority of responses would be to Ryan Cain.  Cain is the better basketball player

hugenerd

Quote from: cheeks14 on February 24, 2007, 05:27:14 PM
The bottom line is that if you asked anyone that knows NEWMAC basketball who they would pick to be on their team out of Cain and Bartolotta then I'd bet the majority of responses would be to Ryan Cain.  Cain is the better basketball player

Who are you asking? Other WPI fans? I am pretty sure they would agree with you also.  Cain is the best player on the best team, but that doesnt mean he is the best player in the league.  If you compare his stats to Bartolotta's there is absolutely no contest.  You cannot make a case for Cain as POY of the year without bringing up the team argument, and unfortunately this is an individual award.

Quote from: cheeks14 on February 24, 2007, 05:27:14 PM

Give Bartolotta the POY if thats what he wants because he sure doesn't care about winning. 

This is an absolutely ignorant statement.  Without Bartolotta MIT would have 10 less wins this year.  Cain has the luxury of taking nights off and his teammates picking him up, Bartolotta does not.

Quote from: cheeks14 on February 24, 2007, 05:21:58 PM
Cain also didn't need to step up when they were winning by 25 the entire game.  He played less minutes because they were winning by so much and he also got the W and thats all that matters.  Cain will step up when he needs to unlike Bartlotta who couldn't.  Cain wasn't needed to score a lot of points today and he will do whatever it takes to get the W.

Ok, so they didnt need him today, I understand, but just because they dont need him does not mean he should have absolutely no output.  He may have only played 25 minutes today and scored 6 points, but last time he played MIT he played 39 minutes and still only scored 6 points.  Also, when has WPI really needed Cain to step up this year?  Looking over their schedule it seems that over 80% of their games were blowouts and in the 4 or 5 games that werent blowouts, WPI lost half of them.  You cant say Cain WILL step up when he needs to because WPI really hasnt had many games where they have needed him at all, they could have won 20 games without him. Also, Cain seemed to be able to put up pretty good numbers in the other blowouts, why not against MIT? (his only three sub 11 point games have all been against MIT).

Quote from: wildgoose on February 24, 2007, 05:10:43 PM
granted I know he has a short bench but left Bracht in with 3 fouls in the first half and of course Bracht gets his 4th after he runs over Cain trying to lead the fast break with 4 minutes to go in the first half.   A blow out. 

MIT only has one big man.  Their other starting big man (Koryan) is 5'11" (with his shoes on).  If he had taken Bracht out he would have had to sub one of his guards in who play less than 5 minutes a game.  Tough to matchup with WPI, who has 9 guys 6'4" or taller.

Bartolotta needed to step up, instead he misses 3 out 4 foul shots in the first half when MIT couldn't score and needed to stay in the game.  Cain is a leader and you cant stat that. 

First off, Bartolotta leads the league in FT%.  Just because he missed a few in one game doesnt make him any less of a player.  Secondly, I dont think 3 points would have made a huge difference in the outcome of the game. 

It is easy to be a leader when all your teammates are producing for you.  Todays game isnt a good example of what Bartolotta can do as a leader because MIT really had no chance.  If you could see what he does when they are actually in a game, you would agree that he is also a great leader.  He has had near triple doubles several times this season because he sets up nearly everything that MIT does.  Also, you may not be able to stat leadership, but there are alot of other stats that are kept, and in the vast majority, Bartolotta's are more impressive than Cain's.

You probably to young to remember but Wilt had the stats and Russell has the rings.

I may not remember but I do know that Russell won 11 championships and Chamberlin still won 4 MVP awards.  Once again, you do not need to be on the best team to be the best player.

In conclusion, looking at all the numbers, you really cant make a case for Cain over Bartolotta as POY without bringing in the team success argument.  Bartolotta has better overall numbers and better head-to-head numbers, but just isnt on a great team this year.  Cain is on a great team, but he doesnt put up numbers that are comparable to Bartolottas.  It is an individual award.

PlayOnPlaya

There def needs to be more people on this thing because going a whole season and only hearing about 2 players is pretty boring. How about some interesting conversation like how some of these games are kids last games... that is pretty important. Or about the last 3 minutes of today Wheaton vs. CGA game. That was pretty good too. Or even say something about how WPI is going to crush CGA tomorrow in the Finals.... if you think that is gonna happen. Anyway, hope all you Cain fans show up and are loud for him tomorrow, he will need the support.

clarkie

Let's go Coast Guard!

And I agree there are more than two players in this league, lets talk about the man tears that were shed at the end of players careers. As sad as it is to see, it shows how much these players love the game. Good luck to all those that are playing their last collegiate games. It doesn't get easier, but know you left your mark on your school as well as the sport and you are better prepared because of it.

wildgoose

there are way more than those 2 guys, guys playing there heart out for the love of the game,  Wheatons  DiGiovanna  playing on the bad knee, giving it all he had for a D3 game.  Prebeck is an outstanding player and they might not be able to beat WPI tomorrow but CG size can give WPI trouble, if any team can beat WPI Cg may be the team.  Plus where else can you watch 2 good games  a soda and piece of pizza for $8.

cheeks14

How about recognizing the amazing season WPI has had this year.  No one really talks about them and they are ranked as the 13th best team in the country.

Also, instead of worrying about Ryan Cain for POY....how about talking about him as one of the best players in NEWMAC history.  He has had an amazing career for WPI and has completely turned around a WPI program that has struggled in the past.  Whenever his last game it will be a very sad day because he has truly been a great player and great person for the NEWMAC over the past 4 seasons.

WPI is a force in the NEWMAC for the past 4 years and is only losing Ryan Cain so they should be back next year and still be a very good team.

Also, I predicted that it would be WPI Vs. Coast Guard for the championship all year, but I didn't figure that Coast Guard would be the last place team that advanced to the finals.  Coast Guard is a very good team and I don't understand how they finished in last place because they have some very good players.  I think they underachieved all season but they are turning it on at the right time.  Al Sowers had a huge shot to put them ahead today in the last minute and they were able to hold off Wheaton.

atn alum

NEWMAC final will be webcast

#1 seed WPI vs #7 seed Coast Guard.

Tip at noon. Pre-game at 11:50-ish...

http://sportsjuice.com

feel free to e-mail me and let me know that you're tuned in:

cgbears2006@aol.com

hugenerd

Congrats to CGA.  Great Job.

wildgoose

Sowers was outstanding and Blum helped out with some excellent 2nd half offense - CG size was the difference

wildgoose

One thing I didnt like was Cains pointing to the crowd early in the game when he made a 3, I didnt see him pointing when he missed.  Coleman was hamming it up also.  They dont really need to act like jackasses, their very good players,maybe they got a little to cocky.  One other thing thats not mentioned about Cain, he is a excellent defensive player

Paul Heering

coast guard was 2-10 in the regular season and won 3 games to win the tournament.    has that ever happened before where a conference tournament champion won more games in the tournament than in the regular season?