Big games today

Started by hopefan, January 13, 2016, 01:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smitty Oom

I am planning on traveling to the Boston area for New Years Eve this year. I would love to see a Northeast D3 hoops game, any thoughts on what would be the best couple games to attend? Quality of teams, arena and environment should all be factored in ;)!

Some info... We will be staying very close to Harvard, as my girlfriends friend from High School is now a Master student there. We tentatively plan on flying in on 12/28th and flying back on either 1/1/19 or 1/2/19. We will be walking around Harvard, MIT and Tufts (I plan campus self-tours into our trips). Not sure if we will be renting a car so staying within "Uber-range" or public transit would be ideal. I noticed Springfield may be playing Nichols in the Springfield tourney but I don't know how possible that is distance wise, although the basketball hall of fame is for sure a plus to making that trip.

Any info would be appreciated!

Gregory Sager

Springfield's somewhere between an hour and a half to two hours by car if you're staying in Boston.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

hopefan

Quote from: Smitty Oom on October 22, 2018, 10:10:08 AM
I am planning on traveling to the Boston area for New Years Eve this year. I would love to see a Northeast D3 hoops game, any thoughts on what would be the best couple games to attend? Quality of teams, arena and environment should all be factored in ;)!

Some info... We will be staying very close to Harvard, as my girlfriends friend from High School is now a Master student there. We tentatively plan on flying in on 12/28th and flying back on either 1/1/19 or 1/2/19. We will be walking around Harvard, MIT and Tufts (I plan campus self-tours into our trips). Not sure if we will be renting a car so staying within "Uber-range" or public transit would be ideal. I noticed Springfield may be playing Nichols in the Springfield tourney but I don't know how possible that is distance wise, although the basketball hall of fame is for sure a plus to making that trip.

Based on last year's records... the only winner vs winner opportunity in that limited time frame, near Boston, is the Salem State Tourney.. Salem is about 45 minutes from Harvard... All four teams in that tourney (Endicott, Colby-Sawyer, Thomas, and Salem State) had winning records last year.. though I wouldn't think this is NESCAC level hoops.  Dce 29/30
The Springfield tourney is also very solid quality quality, (E.Conn, Salisbury, Nichols, Springfield), but twice as far away, and more likely to run into bad weather...  Dec 29/30
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Cambridge to Springfield is like 90 minutes (faster if you stay with the flow of traffic as opposed to the speed limit) right down the Mass Pike - it's a booth-less toll road, though, so make sure you get the EZPass with your rental (probably a good idea if you're driving in New England anyway) or you'll get a nice bill a few weeks after you return it.  I doubt traffic will be too bad on the 30th and that final game should be pretty good.

If you're into novelty, St. Joe's (CT) is playing at Salve Regina on the 29th.  You'd get to see Jim Calhoun coach a d3 game and Salve is in Newport, RI, which is full of giant old mansions - in fact, the Salve campus is designed to look like mansions (including the gym, which is set 30 feet below grade so it doesn't stand out from the rest of campus.  It's 1pm tip, so you'd be able to drive around town a bit.  Obviously not the same experience in December as it is in June, but the homes are still there.  It's about the same distance down there as it is to Springfield.

On the 31st, my alma mater plays its big rivalry game at Gordon, that's just 30-40 minutes up the coast from Boston.  Both teams are going to be good not great this year, but they're the only two non-catholic religious schools in New England and they've been going at it for 50 years.  Usually a good atmosphere.  They're playing at ENC on Dec 12th, so it'll be a revenge game for one of the teams.  Not the same level of play as Springfield, but it'll be decent and should be competitive.

Most NE teams head out of the area for the break, if they play at all.  There's four or five practically within walking distance of Cambridge, but none of them are at home while you're there.  Best of luck.  Let us know what you decide to do.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

ronk

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on October 22, 2018, 10:48:56 AM

Cambridge to Springfield is like 90 minutes (faster if you stay with the flow of traffic as opposed to the speed limit) right down the Mass Pike - it's a booth-less toll road, though, so make sure you get the EZPass with your rental (probably a good idea if you're driving in New England anyway) or you'll get a nice bill a few weeks after you return it.  I doubt traffic will be too bad on the 30th and that final game should be pretty good.

If you're into novelty, St. Joe's (CT) is playing at Salve Regina on the 29th.  You'd get to see Jim Calhoun coach a d3 game and Salve is in Newport, RI, which is full of giant old mansions - in fact, the Salve campus is designed to look like mansions (including the gym, which is set 30 feet below grade so it doesn't stand out from the rest of campus.  It's 1pm tip, so you'd be able to drive around town a bit.  Obviously not the same experience in December as it is in June, but the homes are still there.  It's about the same distance down there as it is to Springfield.

On the 31st, my alma mater plays its big rivalry game at Gordon, that's just 30-40 minutes up the coast from Boston.  Both teams are going to be good not great this year, but they're the only two non-catholic religious schools in New England and they've been going at it for 50 years.  Usually a good atmosphere.  They're playing at ENC on Dec 12th, so it'll be a revenge game for one of the teams.  Not the same level of play as Springfield, but it'll be decent and should be competitive.

Most NE teams head out of the area for the break, if they play at all.  There's four or five practically within walking distance of Cambridge, but none of them are at home while you're there.  Best of luck.  Let us know what you decide to do.

That's remarkable; there's probably 20 in PA alone.

WUPHF

Waltham is an easy train ride from Cambridge and Brandeis has a campus worth visiting.  How about Brandeis vs. Bowdoin on December 30.

ronk

If u want to mix in some women's hoops, Scranton(#2 in my mind, #8 in D3hoops preseason) will be playing in the WPI tourney in Worcester(much closer than Springfield) on the 30th and 31st.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: ronk on October 22, 2018, 12:45:09 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on October 22, 2018, 10:48:56 AM

That's remarkable; there's probably 20 in PA alone.

I should say the only protestant schools in the NCAA - religious is too broad a category and I'm sure there's some small non-ncaa institution I'm slighting.  Yeah, the rivalry is a big deal - in the 70's they used to do it at the Garden before Celtics games.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

hopefan

Quote from: hopefan on October 19, 2018, 05:00:27 PM
Incidentally.... While checking a possible game date mismatch, I noticed a 4th New England school has not posted their 18-19 schedule (it's hidden behind the posted 17-18 schedule)...

Albertus Magnus joins Emerson, Thomas and Wheaton to make an inglorious quartet....

Tuesday, Oct. 23... Thomas says..."I'm not gonna be the last one!!!"  Their sched is posted... Emerson, Wheaton and Albertus are left!!!!

hopefan

Oct.24.. the trio disbands... Emerson posts their schedule.. leaving Albertus Magnus  and Wheaton (Mass.) to battle it out to become the LAST school to post their schedule.

mailsy

Quote from: hopefan on October 25, 2018, 09:21:19 AM
Oct.24.. the trio disbands... Emerson posts their schedule.. leaving Albertus Magnus  and Wheaton (Mass.) to battle it out to become the LAST school to post their schedule.

This is why I don't do the fantasy stuff very often(if at all).  ;D
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

Greek Tragedy

I suppose we could've run a survivor pool on who would be the last to post their schedule. Maybe next year! 🤔😎😋😂
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

magicman

Quote from: hopefan on October 08, 2018, 05:09:40 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 08, 2018, 04:15:11 PM
Redlands has taken Louisiana College's spot in the Nebraska Wesleyan tournament.

Just got a another Thank you from Coach Wellman, as that was a kinda out of left field suggestion I made to him... I noticed Redlands was short one game, had 4 non NCAA's on their sked, one of which could be dropped or changed to an exhibition, and they were wide open on the tourney dates... it all worked out...

hopefan,
I just spotted this.  You deserve a major pat on the back for helping get this tournament back on track. I knew your retirement would come in handy!!!  :D ;D 8-)  Great job.

Plus K...and Plus K to Ryan Scott (#600) for giving Smitty all those possibilities.

hopefan

Thanks for the acknowledgement Magic!!!!

AND   for a big game announcement...

TONIGHT... Oct.26         Transylvania at the University of Kentucky.... 7PM EST    on the SEC network....

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: hopefan on October 26, 2018, 06:36:52 AM
Thanks for the acknowledgement Magic!!!!

AND   for a big game announcement...

TONIGHT... Oct.26         Transylvania at the University of Kentucky.... 7PM EST    on the SEC network....

I remember a game ... jeez, it is longer ago then I want to admit ... where Transylvania got a lead early in the game thanks to a serious dunk by their "big guy" against Kentucky's all-american stud. Kentucky called timeout and the commentator joked that Lane would have a poster of that dunk on the locker room wall by halftime. LOL

Kentucky won the game easily. LOL

Transylvania also tends to walk to this game each time they play.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.