WBB: American Rivers Conference

Started by J 2 The Brizo, February 09, 2005, 10:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bird Dog

Went to the Alumni game at Coe today good time was had by all.  Two teams of 10 and 9 players provided an errorless and perfectly played game with the red beating the grey.  Luncheon is interesting the team introduces themselves, and the alumni tell what they are up to.  Saw the first half of the BV game Coe played well, scoring inside.  Coe went on to win. 

doolittledog

Quote from: Bird Dog on February 21, 2015, 06:54:22 PM

The league tournament winner gets the automatic qualifier, but I don't think anyone else in the IIAC has enough clout to get their ticket punched to the dance.  Hope they prove me wrong.

If Luther had won the regular season title, and then lost in the tourney, they may have had enough clout to get into the NCAA as a 2nd IIAC team.  Now I think we are a 1 team league. 

We were at my daughters flute competition and then went shoe shopping yesterday, so I was limited to following twitter on my phone.  I will have a fun time today with the game on my computer while I finish up some work at the office. 

Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

Bird Dog

5 seed Wartburg against 2 seed Luther.  I think they are arch rivals too. Luther won the regular season games 67 to 57 and 68 to 59.  As the old saying goes "it's tough to beat a team three times in a season."  Game in Decorah should give the nod to Luther. 

Tip of the hat to Megan Hayes of Coe.  She became the fourth leading  scorer in school history with 1139 points passing Amber Karkosh 1134 pts. 

I wish Coe would update their records.  They were last updated after the 2012-2013 season. 

Bird Dog

Half Time Luther 31 Wartburg 22.  Luther providing video and sound.  Hopefully the team does better than Luther's Ultimate Frisbee team did at a tournament at the University of Iowa.  I saw them play Grinnell College today.  Just like an announcer at half time.  Digging deep to find something to talk about. 

Bird Dog

doolittledog

If you consider the modern era of IIAC women's basketball to be when Coe joined the IIAC. Conference titles and tourney titles look like this...

School - conference - tourney
BVU : 2 - 1
Central : 0 - 0
Coe : 2 - 2
Dubuque : 1 - 0
Loras : : 2 - 2
Luther : 2 - 2
Simpson : 10 - 7
Wartburg : 3 - 2
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

Bird Dog

Luther's bracket includes:

St. Thomas (27-0) vs. U. of Minnesota Morris (16-11)

Luther (22-5) vs. St. Norbert (22-3)

Believe St. Thomas is the number two seed in the tournament.  St. Norbert beat our old buddies Cornell to win their league tournament. 

Would like to hear from Norse fans.  NorseFan2015 where did you go. 

Bird Dog

Luther loses to St. Thomas 60 to 57.  St. Thomas was the number two ranked team by D3 Hoops.  Good showing and great season Norse. 

doolittledog

Saying goodbye to the senior classes in the conference. 

This is how the senior classes did in conference play over their time...

School - record - titles - tourney titles
Simpson : 41-17  2-1
Dubuque : 39-19  1-0
Coe :  38-20  0-1
Loras : 37-21  1-1
Wartburg : 30-28
Luther :  20-38  0=1
BVU  :  19-39
Central : 9-49

Bird Dog

I like that three different teams have won conference championships and four different teams have won conference tournaments.  When I first started following the league in 2007 Simpson was dominating the conference and tournament championships.  Maybe Simpson needs to raise the temperature in that hot house they call a gym to get their mojo back.

Two things I would like to see:

1.  Two teams qualifying for the NCAA

2.  More fans posting on this site with insightful and humorous (but tasteful) jabs at rivals. 

Bird Dog

Randi Peterson resigns as Coe's coach,  Going to University of North Carolina Charlotte as an assistant to Cara Consuegra. 

doolittledog

Quote from: Bird Dog on May 15, 2015, 09:07:07 PM
Randi Peterson resigns as Coe's coach,  Going to University of North Carolina Charlotte as an assistant to Cara Consuegra.

I just saw that news and was surprised.  With both she and her husband being Iowa grads, and his basketball camps and AAU team here I thought she would be a long term coach at Coe.  I wish her the best in the jump up.  Should be interesting to see where Coe goes from here.  Does Bird Dog have a daughter that wants to coach  ;)

Bird Dog

Maybe if they gave her a chemistry gig to go with it.  Closing in on her doctorate one year more or less.   She didn't follow my advice and coached a 9th grade team for a year.  Everyone knows you are better off coaching Junior high bb than Freshman/Sophomore shorter season and  you get Christmas vacation (oops winter vacation) how un P.C. of me.
Replacements for Randi I would like the best coach possible and I think assistant coach Jamie Rainey or Nate Oakland (former Coe assistant) assistant at Wartburg would be great. 

Bird Dog

Congratulations to Nate Oakland the new Coe's new women's basketball coach.

doolittledog

Bird Dog with the correct prognostication of Nate Oakland as new HC at Coe!

Now if you can work your mojo and have Coe improve their concession stand choices you'll really be on to something ;)