ABCA D-III All-American Team

Started by LWC23, May 24, 2008, 01:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LWC23

2008 ABCA All-America Team
First Team
Pos. Player Yr. School
DH Chris Dunham  Jr. Thiel College (Pa.) 
C Doug Coe  Sr. University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point
1B Jason Acevado  Sr. Carthage College (Wis.) 
2B Michael Sims  Sr. LaGrange College (Ga.) 
3B Derek David* Sr. McMurry University (Texas) 
SS Brian Kolb  So. Wheaton College (Ill.) 
OF Brian Youchak  So. Johns Hopkins University (Md.) 
OF Brian Moran  Sr. Grove City College (Pa.) 
OF Anthony D'Alfonso  Jr. University of Southern Maine 
UT Kurt Yacko  Jr. Chapman University (Calif.)
UT Chandler Barnard Sr. Trinity College (Conn.) 
P Wayde Kitchens  Jr. Chapman University (Calif.) 
P Kenny Moreland Sr. Christopher Newport University (Va.) 
P Tim Kiely  Sr. Trinity College (Conn.) 
P Ryan Kulik  Sr. Rowan University (N.J.)
  * - Player of the Year   

Second Team   
Pos. Player Yr. School
DH Scott Marcus  Sr. University of La Verne (Calif.)
C Dale Curry Sr. Alvernia College (Pa.)
1B Sean Claugherty  So. The College of St. Scholastica (Minn.) 
1B J.D. Rotzoll  Sr. Concordia University (Ill.) 
2B Craig Mease  Sr. Messiah College (Pa.) 
3B John Wagle  Jr. Augustana College (Ill.) 
3B Todd Emr  Sr. Johns Hopkins University (Md.) 
SS Trae Bailey  Jr. Christopher Newport University (Va.) 
SS Cory Briggs  So. University of the Ozarks (Ark.) 
OF Dan Valentine  Sr. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (N.Y.)
OF Hunter Owen  Jr. Millsaps College (Miss.) 
OF Chris Bullis  Sr. University of St. Thomas (Minn.) 
OF Mike Guadango  So. William Paterson University (N.J.) 
UT Scott Fisher  Jr. Richard Stockton College (N.J.) 
P Jeremiah Bayer  Jr. Trinity College (Conn.) 
P Adam Gingras  Jr. Wheaton College (Mass.) 
P Blake Booher  Jr. University of Texas-Tyler 
P Joe Devlin  Jr. Lynchburg College (Va.)
P Tom Dimitroff  Sr. Piedmont College (Ga.) 
P Matt Tone  So. State University of New York-Cortland

Third Team   
Pos. Player Yr. School
C Brock Whiteman  So. Muskingum College (Ohio) 
1B Kyle Stalker  Jr. Willamette University (Ore.)
2B Alex Ratzloff  Jr. Webster University (Mo.)
2B Mike Gerdes  So. St. Joseph's College (N.Y.) 
3B Justin Armiger  Sr. Salisbury University (Md.) 
SS Chris Burleson  Jr. University of Southern Maine 
OF Mike Vass  Sr. Chapman University (Calif.) 
OF Joseph Villegas  So. University of Mary Hardin-Baylor (Texas) 
OF Jeremy Wentworth  Jr. Heidelberg College (Ohio) 
UT Bobby Rickstad  Sr. Adrian College (Mich.) 
P Brian Clark  Sr. Linfield College (Ore.) 
P Michael Matsui So. Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology (Ind.) 
P Brett Mueller  Sr. Webster University (Mo.) 
P Eric Willey  Jr. Salisbury University (Md.) 
P Brett Holland  Jr. University of Texas-Tyler 
P Lonnie Robinson  Sr. University of St. Thomas (Minn.) 

njac08

Ralph Turner

Quote from: njac08 on May 24, 2008, 03:38:44 PM
The real list is out.  Thank you ABCA.
That is gratitude, njac08!  That shows real class!    ;)    :D ;D 

Why don't you post the thank you note on the ABCA message boards.

What ABCA Message boards, you say???     :D

You might look for the hyperlinks to the games and all of the NJAC home pages on the ABCA website as well.   :D

njac08

I'm sorry, do we live in Iraq?  I thought free speech was part of our rights and you as an administrator are diminishing my right?  Way to be a power figure, shows the real class here. 

And for what its worth, i think the coverage that d3baseball.com has provided since its inception has been great.  However, i feel the approach and style of the layouts, articles and so on are biased and limited.  Nothing wrong with criticism is there?  With the website, it seems like it is Chapman and then everybody else regarding information, publicity and recognition(outsiders would think Yacko is the 2nd coming of babe ruth by the amount of coverage).  Granted, they are a very good program, but they get talked about wayy to much for this to be a "national" website.

Perhaps you should broaden your horizons and hire some people from regions you dont live in to get extra coverage to truly make this "D3baseball".  Not the glorified western region website.

If you cant accept some simple constructive criticisms then i feel sorry for you.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: njac08 on May 24, 2008, 05:24:24 PM
Perhaps you should broaden your horizons and hire some people from regions you dont live in to get extra coverage to truly make this "D3baseball".  Not the glorified western region website.

We have an NJAC voter on our All-American committee, actually, njac08. And nobody who works on the site lives in California.

Just for the record -- freedom of speech exists on public property because of the constitution. Private property is a different matter. We're not in the habit of restricting your ability to trash us but do keep in mind that you this service is free and that everyone here is a volunteer. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

dgilblair

Just a wee bit harsh there njac08.  At times it may seem slanted to the west or south but at other times some may say it's all talk about the east.  When you have a program like Chapman it is going to get chatter.  Besides didn't Yacko get third team D3 and 1st team ABCA.  You should give them a slam while your at it.

mr_b

And for what its worth, i think the coverage that d3baseball.com has provided since its inception has been great. 

Yes, it is.  We fans of D3 baseball are very appreciative of the wealth of information that this site provides us.  Just try and find press coverage on your favorite D3 team or conference in your local newspaper!

However, i feel the approach and style of the layouts, articles and so on are biased and limited.  Nothing wrong with criticism is there?  With the website, it seems like it is Chapman and then everybody else regarding information, publicity and recognition(outsiders would think Yacko is the 2nd coming of babe ruth by the amount of coverage).  Granted, they are a very good program, but they get talked about wayy to much for this to be a "national" website.

Keep in mind, as Pat and Ralph mention, that the site relies on volunteers who contribute stories, photos, and links.  A few of my press releases have even found their way to this site.  If you feel that the NJAC doesn't get the recognition it deserves, then by all means contact the SID of your school and ask him/her to submit press releases for consideration on the site.  Otherwise, we won't get the whole picture.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: DGilblair on May 24, 2008, 06:27:04 PM
Besides didn't Yacko get third team D3 and 1st team ABCA.  You should give them a slam while your at it.

That's true too.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

dukes

So it sounds to me like it is all about the West, South, or East.......what about the Midwest? Maybe we are just "Midwest friendly" so we dont complain as much as the East does, NJAC!! Just joking.

I agree there is a lot of coverage about Chapman, but they dont exactly lay an egg when put up against top competition either, so I think it is justified. For the most part it seems like MOST areas think their baseball is a little bit better than the next region. Why not? You are entitled to think that, but lets not blame that on this site. And like Mr_b said, they are probably welcome more contributors to the site from various areas. So if you want a perspective seen, do something about it. If not, feel free to complain but dont expect much to change.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
-Benjamin Franklin

All-AmericanFan

Quote from: njac08 on May 24, 2008, 03:38:44 PM
The real list is out.  Thank you ABCA.

The way I understand it, the ABCA only looks at first team all-region selections to make their All-American squad, so if you are a player, who by politics, doesn't make his all-conference squad, therefore making him not make his all-region squad, he is not eligible for consideration of All-American status. Sounds like the real list to me, only having about 100 players ever have a chance at being an All-American. Think this doesn't occur? I believe this happened to a player from the ASC last year.

Mr. Ypsi

I'm sorry, do we live in Iraq?  I thought free speech was part of our rights and you as an administrator are diminishing my right?  Way to be a power figure, shows the real class here. 

And for what its worth, i think the coverage that d3baseball.com has provided since its inception has been great.  However, i feel the approach and style of the layouts, articles and so on are biased and limited.  Nothing wrong with criticism is there?  With the website, it seems like it is Chapman and then everybody else regarding information, publicity and recognition(outsiders would think Yacko is the 2nd coming of babe ruth by the amount of coverage).  Granted, they are a very good program, but they get talked about wayy to much for this to be a "national" website.

If you cant accept some simple constructive criticisms then i feel sorry for you.

As Pat noted, free speech is not a guarantee on privately owned media.  Nonetheless, exactly how has anyone infringed on your free speech?

Seems to me you were free to spew your paranoid conspiracy theories.  Do you deny other posters the right to think you are an idiot?  Or can you dish it but not take it?

To paraphrase Voltaire: "I disagree with what you say, but will defend to the death your right to be a hypocritical moron." ;)

OshDude

Quote from: LWC23 on May 24, 2008, 01:40:07 PM
2008 ABCA All-America Team
First Team
Pos. Player Yr. School
DH Chris Dunham  Jr. Thiel College (Pa.) 
C Doug Coe  Sr. University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point
1B Jason Acevado  Sr. Carthage College (Wis.) 
2B Michael Sims  Sr. LaGrange College (Ga.) 
3B Derek David* Sr. McMurry University (Texas) 
SS Brian Kolb  So. Wheaton College (Ill.) 
OF Brian Youchak  So. Johns Hopkins University (Md.) 
OF Brian Moran  Sr. Grove City College (Pa.) 
OF Anthony D'Alfonso  Jr. University of Southern Maine 
UT Kurt Yacko  Jr. Chapman University (Calif.)
UT Chandler Barnard Sr. Trinity College (Conn.) 
P Wayde Kitchens  Jr. Chapman University (Calif.) 
P Kenny Moreland Sr. Christopher Newport University (Va.) 
P Tim Kiely  Sr. Trinity College (Conn.) 
P Ryan Kulik  Sr. Rowan University (N.J.)
  * - Player of the Year   

Second Team   
Pos. Player Yr. School
DH Scott Marcus  Sr. University of La Verne (Calif.)
C Dale Curry Sr. Alvernia College (Pa.)
1B Sean Claugherty  So. The College of St. Scholastica (Minn.) 
1B J.D. Rotzoll  Sr. Concordia University (Ill.) 
2B Craig Mease  Sr. Messiah College (Pa.) 
3B John Wagle  Jr. Augustana College (Ill.) 
3B Todd Emr  Sr. Johns Hopkins University (Md.) 
SS Trae Bailey  Jr. Christopher Newport University (Va.) 
SS Cory Briggs  So. University of the Ozarks (Ark.) 
OF Dan Valentine  Sr. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (N.Y.)
OF Hunter Owen  Jr. Millsaps College (Miss.) 
OF Chris Bullis  Sr. University of St. Thomas (Minn.) 
OF Mike Guadango  So. William Paterson University (N.J.) 
UT Scott Fisher  Jr. Richard Stockton College (N.J.) 
P Jeremiah Bayer  Jr. Trinity College (Conn.) 
P Adam Gingras  Jr. Wheaton College (Mass.) 
P Blake Booher  Jr. University of Texas-Tyler 
P Joe Devlin  Jr. Lynchburg College (Va.)
P Tom Dimitroff  Sr. Piedmont College (Ga.) 
P Matt Tone  So. State University of New York-Cortland

Third Team   
Pos. Player Yr. School
C Brock Whiteman  So. Muskingum College (Ohio) 
1B Kyle Stalker  Jr. Willamette University (Ore.)
2B Alex Ratzloff  Jr. Webster University (Mo.)
2B Mike Gerdes  So. St. Joseph's College (N.Y.) 
3B Justin Armiger  Sr. Salisbury University (Md.) 
SS Chris Burleson  Jr. University of Southern Maine 
OF Mike Vass  Sr. Chapman University (Calif.) 
OF Joseph Villegas  So. University of Mary Hardin-Baylor (Texas) 
OF Jeremy Wentworth  Jr. Heidelberg College (Ohio) 
UT Bobby Rickstad  Sr. Adrian College (Mich.) 
P Brian Clark  Sr. Linfield College (Ore.) 
P Michael Matsui So. Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology (Ind.) 
P Brett Mueller  Sr. Webster University (Mo.) 
P Eric Willey  Jr. Salisbury University (Md.) 
P Brett Holland  Jr. University of Texas-Tyler 
P Lonnie Robinson  Sr. University of St. Thomas (Minn.) 
No:
Rob Pietroforte, OF Johns Hopkins
Drew Hedman, 1B, Pomona
Nelson Gomez, 3B Keystone
Bruce Cameron, OF Ozarks
Robby Finnell, DH Ozarks
Joe Zongol, SP RPI
Dan Kaczrowski, SS Hamline
Eric Boylan, OF Theil
Jay Enoch, SP Juniata

Which All-American list is better again? Both lists have guys omitted. We always think there are, in every sport, every year. Besides Yacko being nominated at SS thus undervalued at UTIL on D3baseball.com's and a few other examples, D3's was a better list this year, IMO.

Pat Coleman

Might not be worth continuing to address njac08. He/she hasn't logged on since making that post.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 27, 2008, 12:49:25 AM
Might not be worth continuing to address njac08. He/she hasn't logged on since making that post.
Thanks for the comparison for archive sake, dude!

dukes

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 27, 2008, 12:49:25 AM

Then who is going to do all the complaining if njac is no longer doing it ;)

Anyway, I agree that each list has omissions. Do you know if they just use regular season stats for both or if there are a different set of stats for each?
On the ABCA, I was glad to see St. Scholastica represented by Claugherty as I thought he was left off the d3 list. Personally, if it is done how it was said and the ABCA only looks at the first team regional list to compile the National AA list that is pretty poor. Then you could have the best to ballplayers in the country...at one position and only one would be named an AA. Perhaps it is just a simplified way to reduce the work of having to compare more players, but that is too bad. So thank you guys for the work.