D3 vs. NAIA

Started by Ralph Turner, August 28, 2005, 10:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bleedpurple

This week #3 UW-W travels to NAIA #5 St. Xavier in Chicago. A few years ago we played a highly competitive home and home series against Morningside, IA. The first year we played, 2015, it was a #1 vs #1 match-up. Jordan Ratliffe scored on a 6 yard run to give UW-W the 33-30 victory.  In 2016, at UW-W, the Warhawks never trailed and won 35-21.

Hopefully, this weekend will be marked by more NCAA success. Go Warhawks!

Baldini

Vs. D-1 (FCS)  (0-4)

Stetson 58  Louisiana College 13
Georgetown 69  Catholic 0
Stetson 59  Western New England 28
Stetson 55  N.C. Wesleyan 21

Vs. D-2  (1-2)

Wesley 69  Franklin Pierce 0
Franklin Pierce 29  Curry 27
Texas A&M-Kingsville 72  Sul Ross State 0

Vs. NAIA  (11-6)

St. Thomas 69  Trinity International 3
St. Scholastica 42  Mayville St. 35  OT
Hendrix 28  Lyon 20
Lawrence Tech 34  Wisconsin Lutheran 14
St. Scholastica 41  Presentation 13
Anderson 27  Cincinnati Christian 23
Austin 27  Southwestern Assemblies 26
Buena Vista 27  Concordia (Neb.) 24
Valley City State 67  Minnesota-Morris 7
UW-Whitewater 28  St. Xavier 20
UW-Platteville 41  Thomas More 10
Dickinson St. 23  UW-La Crosse 17
Waldorf 27  UW-River Falls 24
Dakota St. 38  UW-Stevens Point 21
Brevard 40  Allen 9
Emory and Henry 49  Bluefield 21
Olivet Nazarene 69  Greenville 8

Vs. USCAA  (3-3)

Apprentice 23  Greensboro 8
Apprentice 49  Gallaudet 13
LaGrange 50  Apprentice 13
Apprentice 35  Anna Maria 20
Southern Virginia 40  Apprentice 7
Randolph-Macon 35  Apprentice 3

*Updated as of 11/23 and unaware of any other games yet to be played.

Baldini

Southern Virginia defeated Apprentice 40-7, but this is not the last game against non D-3 opponents. I was unaware of the deal that the ODAC and Apprentice have to play a Bowl game at the conclusion of the regular season. Randolph-Macon will play Apprentice on Saturday in the Neptune Bowl at Virginia Beach Sportsplex.

hickory_cornhusker

There is another one Saturday when Greenville hosts NAIA Olivet Nazarene in the NCCAA's victory bowl.

Baldini

Quote from: hickory_cornhusker on November 19, 2019, 12:05:51 PM
There is another one Saturday when Greenville hosts NAIA Olivet Nazarene in the NCCAA's victory bowl.

Thanks for the heads up HC, final score has been added above.

sjujohnnie

Earlier this season, on September 21st, Whitewater (ranked #3 at the time) played at NAIA #5 St Xavier & won 28-20. St Xavier lost to NAIA #1 Morningside this past Saturday (November 30th), 51-0. St Xavier was ranked #9 at the time of their semifinal matchup at Morningside. To win it all at the NAIA level, teams would need to win four games - first round, semifinal, quarterfinal, & championship. It looks as if Morningside will win it all again for a second-straight season. Since Sioux Falls moved to Division II 9 years ago, Morningside is 75-3 in conference games having won 43 straight & is 88-5 in regular-season matchups. They are on a 27 game winning streak. I often wish the top 25 of the NAIA would merge with the top of Division III. Morningside, however, appears to be head & shoulders above the rest of it's competition.

Baldini

Quote from: sjujohnnie on December 04, 2019, 12:28:00 PM
Earlier this season, on September 21st, Whitewater (ranked #3 at the time) played at NAIA #5 St Xavier & won 28-20. St Xavier lost to NAIA #1 Morningside this past Saturday (November 30th), 51-0. St Xavier was ranked #9 at the time of their semifinal matchup at Morningside. To win it all at the NAIA level, teams would need to win four games - first round, semifinal, quarterfinal, & championship. It looks as if Morningside will win it all again for a second-straight season. Since Sioux Falls moved to Division II 9 years ago, Morningside is 75-3 in conference games having won 43 straight & is 88-5 in regular-season matchups. They are on a 27 game winning streak. I often wish the top 25 of the NAIA would merge with the top of Division III. Morningside, however, appears to be head & shoulders above the rest of it's competition.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm being negative about Morningside's accomplishments because what that program has done is very impressive, but as great as they have been in conference play it has not always been the case in the playoffs. Last year was their first ever title and this year is no gimme either. The winner of the Mideast division of the Mid-States conference (St. Francis (Ind.) or Marian (Ind.) ) has won 3 of the last 4 titles and an 11-0 Marian plays Linsey Wilson in the other semi-final on Saturday. Morningside should handle Grand View, but the title game will be no walk in the park. In last years semi's St. Francis took Morningside to OT before losing 34-28 and the final was a 35-28 result against Benedictine (Kan.). Also worth noting is that Morningside beat St. Xavier in the 1st round last year 51-14.

sjujohnnie

It's unfortunate that all we can do is speculate how a program like Morningside (or Northwestern who was ranked #5 when they faced Morningside) would fare against the top competition in Division III. Is it comparable to how Mount Union is rarely tested until late playoff rounds or often only in the Stagg? My wife graduated from Morningside prior to Steve Ryan taking the helm. While she was there they were a Division II doormat. I graduated from St John's in '03 & always wonder how Morningside would do against St John's!

Baldini

They would be very good games I am sure. Morningside did play a home and home with UW-Whitewater in 2015-16, so we know that Morningside will travel down that road. Would St. John's go down that road is doubtful. If a review of the past 10 seasons tells us anything it is that St. John's is careful about keeping the non-conference schedule on the easier side. Which is certainly their right to do so if they prefer it that way.

In 2015 UW-W defeated Morningside 33-30 and ironically they both lost in the semi's of their championships. In 2016 UW-W again defeated Morningside this time with the score 35-21 and irony struck again as both were eliminated in the quarter finals of their championships.   

sjujohnnie

#1 Morningside defeated #4 Grand View 21-16 to earn another trip to the NAIA national championship game.

Baldini

I saw that, a little closer than I thought it would be. Marion defeated Lindley Wilson 34-24 in the other game setting up a #1 vs. #2 championship match-up next week. 

sjujohnnie

Appears to be much easier to win a title at the NAIA level vs Division III! Basically have to be ranked in the top 16 of their poll & then win 4 games in 5 weeks & it's reseeded weekly. Actually Morninside & Marian will get a week off before meeting in the title game on Saturday, December 21st at Eddie Robinson Stadium on the campus of Grambling.

sjujohnnie

Whitewater's win over UMHB ended UMHB's 27-game win streak. I believe Morningside, who won their 28th straight game today, leads all levels.

sjujohnnie

I was corrected on the MIAC board. NDSU has an active 34-game winning streak.

hazzben

Quote from: Baldini on December 04, 2019, 11:31:35 PM
If a review of the past 10 seasons tells us anything it is that St. John's is careful about keeping the non-conference schedule on the easier side. Which is certainly their right to do so if they prefer it that way.

That's not a fair assessment. First, SJU has a hard time getting teams to pick up the phone for non-con games. Second, playing in a tough league also means you probably don't want to go out and schedule Top 15 teams for non-con from a sheer attrition standpoint. Case in point, they will be playing their 14th game of the season next week, which will have involved a ton a good to really good d3 football teams (Wheaton, Chapman, Aurora, two WIAC teams, UST, Concordia, St. Olaf, GAC, and Bethel).