WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Carthage @ Wheaton has been rescheduled for Monday at 3:30 pm.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

North Park 80
Elmhurst 75

Jayla Johnson: 22 pts, 10 rebs
Emily Czujahewski: 11 pts (3-6 trey)
Zakiya Newsome: 11 pts
Lauryn Alba Garner: 10 pts
Angelina Villasin: 10 pts

Kween Jean: 26 pts, 10 rebs
Kelly Weyhrich: 17 pts, 5:1 a:to
Elena Cabrera: 7 rebs

The Vikings pulled out a tough one in Elmhurst. NPU led most of the way, and had double-digit leads at five different points in the second half, including an 11-point bulge with just over two and a half minutes remaining, but the dogged Bluejays wouldn't go away. Rebounding kept the 'jays in it, as they outworked the Vikings in that category, 34-26, including 12-6 on the offensive glass. But Jayla Johnson bossed the game in the second half, coming up with 18 and 6 in the third and fourth quarters combined, and Lauryn Alba Garner, Angelina Villasin, and Zakiya Newsome all did a great job of forcing the issue with effective dribble penetration.

EC is definitely a different team with a healthy Kelly Weyhrich on the floor. She is a real difference-maker in this league. And Kween Jean looks more mobile and more composed with the ball in her hands inside than she was last season; she really took it to Johnson and Josie Summerville today. I could see the 'jays coming back and fighting their way into one of the last couple of playoff spots if Weyhrich and Jean continue to play this well.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Despite trailing most of the game, North Central came from behind at home to defeat Carroll, 62-60, in the airplane hangar, as Sierra Grubor missed a jumper at the buzzer that would've sent the game into overtime. Page Desenberg had 16 and 6 for the Cards, as she was joined in double figures by Stephanie Kowalczyk with 14 and Rebekah Foley and Jessica Kowalczyk with a dozen apiece. Natali Dimitrova did a nice job on the glass with 8 boards. The Pios were topped by Katie Evans with 15, while Grubor had 13 and Alyssa Cruz and Kate Christian each had 10. Elizabeth Behrndt led Carroll in rebounding with 7.

RogK

I attended the NP - Elmhurst game and concur with Greg's summary.

Gregory Sager

Milikin survived a late Augustana run to triumph, 75-71, in the Griz. Augie had shaved a 12-point Big Blue lead with three and a half minutes to go down to a bucket when Gabriela Loiz missed what would've been an overtime-producing shot with a second left. Bailey Coffman had 14 and 8 for MU, and was joined in double figures by Jordan Hildebrand and Aubrey Staton with 13 apiece, while Abby Ratsch had 10 and 9 and Jazmin Brown had a nice 5:1 floor game. Macy Beinborn paced Augie with 19, including 5-10 from long range, while Alexis Jones had her usual double-double (16 and 11 this time), and Loiz and Lauren Hall scored a dozen apiece. Mia Lambert posted a 3:0 a:to ratio.

Gregory Sager

Wheaton eked out a 54-52 win over Carthage in a nip-and-tuck battle at King Arena this afternoon. The last seventeen and a half minutes were played with the two teams within two possessions of each other. Hannah Frazier carried the Sonic Atmospheric Disturbance with 24 points, and Kristi Demski added four steals. Carthage, likewise, had one player who was the focal point for the offense, as Autumn Kalis scored 19. Amanda Larson (10 rebounds) was the only player for either team to grab more than five boards.

GoPerry

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 13, 2020, 07:15:31 PM
Wheaton eked out a 54-52 win over Carthage in a nip-and-tuck battle at King Arena this afternoon. The last seventeen and a half minutes were played with the two teams within two possessions of each other. Hannah Frazier carried the Sonic Atmospheric Disturbance with 24 points, and Kristi Demski added four steals. Carthage, likewise, had one player who was the focal point for the offense, as Autumn Kalis scored 19. Amanda Larson (10 rebounds) was the only player for either team to grab more than five boards.

Notable that the Lady Reds were missing Sammie Woodward today.  Also, Madie Kaelber hasn't played since mid-Dec.

RogK

I attended the Carthage-Wheaton game and heard that Sammie Woodward is sick and may or may not miss another game. Carthage's efforts were surely diminished by her absence, along with that of Kaelber and Ahr.
I thought Amanda Larson had a fine all-around game and Autumn Kalis was her customary rather excellent self, although she did make enough mistakes to count on one hand.
Hannah Swider was a good boost off the bench for Wheaton.
Both teams were methodical for much of the game on offense, perhaps because (it seemed) each defense knew what the opponent wanted to do on offense.
Congrats to new CCIW Player of the Week, Kendall Sosa, earning her 2nd such honor this season.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: GoPerry on January 13, 2020, 08:39:42 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 13, 2020, 07:15:31 PM

Notable that the Lady Reds were missing Sammie Woodward today.  Also, Madie Kaelber hasn't played since mid-Dec.

Kaelber is out for the season.

iwu70

Warm congrats to Kendall Sosa for her weekly CCIW honor.  She's leading the league in scoring, FT % and putting together a very fine, 1st Team All-CCIW season.  Depending on how the conference race plays out, she's certainly an early candidate for MOP.   Just IMHO. 

IWU will need Shanks back.  Lowis, Heller, Eck and Bowen doing a good job off the bench, so far.  Hope they continue to improve and step up.

IWU'70

Mr. Ypsi

New poll is now up.  The CCIW narrowly averted a total shut-out (anyone know if that has ever happened?   I can't recall it, but am only curious, not fixated enough to check every poll since they started!)  NPU is out; IWU tallied 2 points (more probably a single #24 vote than two #25 votes). 

While there is no way of knowing, my gut hunch would be that IWU, NPU, and Wheaton are all in the 26-35 range for many voters, so there may be hope for a better conference showing in later polls - though we will no doubt continue to cannibalize each other! :P

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 13, 2020, 10:32:47 PM
New poll is now up.  The CCIW narrowly averted a total shut-out (anyone know if that has ever happened?   I can't recall it, but am only curious, not fixated enough to check every poll since they started!)  NPU is out; IWU tallied 2 points (more probably a single #24 vote than two #25 votes). 

While there is no way of knowing, my gut hunch would be that IWU, NPU, and Wheaton are all in the 26-35 range for many voters, so there may be hope for a better conference showing in later polls - though we will no doubt continue to cannibalize each other! :P

We have a historical record of our Top 25s ... it might have the answer to help you figure out that answer without having to check every poll.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

gordonmann

Yeah, the archive doesn't show which team "also receive votes," so it would be really time-consuming to figure out if the CCIW had been totally shut out.

I have Illinois Wesleyan No. 24. I know they've been inconsistent but, at this point in the season, my personal preference is to reward teams who've shown me they can compete with and beat ranked teams over those who still haven't played them and have gaudier winning percentage. The Titans' win over Chicago and close losses to UW-Whitewater and DePauw (both in my Top 10) weigh more positively for me than, say, Gettysburg or Eastern Connecticut.

If I had a 26th and 27th spot on my ballot, those are probably the next two teams.

I have Texas-Dallas on my ballot for the same reason.

iwu70

gordonmann, your thinking on IWU is exactly mine, as well.  They have played top-10 teams closely, and have the good win over Chicago earlier.  Their only bad loss so far is to Augie, and perhaps they will even that one later in the CCIW season.  We'll see.  Even though they have four losses, my view is that they are a top 25 team and should be getting more support.  Of course, many tough games in CCIW play yet to go, so they could slip back, but I think they have a good chance of winning most of the remaining games.  Having Shanks back will be key, as I have said several times.  They are not very deep, have a very good starting five, but their 3-4 bench players have come through . . . when Munroe and Shanks were out.  Munroe now back.  Eck and Lowis have played well, beyond my expectations.  I'm big on Heller longer term, when she gets more experience.

Now the home stretch of the CCIW race, basically six weeks to go.  Lots of key games.

IWU'70

GoPerry

Quote from: RogK on January 13, 2020, 09:06:30 PM
I attended the Carthage-Wheaton game and heard that Sammie Woodward is sick and may or may not miss another game. Carthage's efforts were surely diminished by her absence, along with that of Kaelber and Ahr.
I thought Amanda Larson had a fine all-around game and Autumn Kalis was her customary rather excellent self, although she did make enough mistakes to count on one hand.
Hannah Swider was a good boost off the bench for Wheaton.
Both teams were methodical for much of the game on offense, perhaps because (it seemed) each defense knew what the opponent wanted to do on offense.

It was a win but against a road team missing two out of their top 3 scorers.  The two positives were 1. Hannah Frazier performance in the 4th and 2. the team defense was pretty good and the defensive awareness was there most of the game.  Jordan Myroth is Wheaton's best defender and 3rd leading rebounder with nearly 7/game.  She has to be on the floor for these reasons and her leadership.  But I think regaining some confidence in her offense could really turn things for her team.  Besides Frazier, she's the only other capable of some dribble penetration but is very reluctant to finish the layup and try to draw the foul.  She's more inclined to make the skip to an outside shooter and is passing up too many chances to make her opponent work hard by challenging the basket.

Once again it might be the long Christmas layoff and then another 9 day gap to yesterday's game.  It's tough to stay sharp at that pace.  But Wheaton can't continue playing at this level scoring less than 60 and expect to win consistently.  I have no doubt they have enough talent to turn this thing around especially when Kent Madsen arguably has the best player on the floor every time out.  Need to unlock it.